Thread: Advice on Leveling-up

Thanks
    Thanked 1,943 Times in 847 Posts

Default Re: Advice on Leveling-up

Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    Hooboy...this thread is fun.
    The tipping is likely not iridium and, in all truth, even vintage nibs marked as being iridium tipping only contained a percentage of iridium :

Yeah. We know. Many of us use "iridium" as a shorthand for ruthenium, osmium, tungsten and other hard metals. Recently I've got into the habit of saying "tipping material" because whenever iridium is mentioned someone has to come along and put me right.
    My apologies.

Honestly saying "we know" is a little uncalled for since not everyone "knows" and that statement was for the original poster. Since the thread was started by someone that appears relatively new to the hobby, sorting out what is/is not tipped with what is generally interesting/useful information. Beyond that, the thread had devolved into many separate sub-conversations that I was simply summing up for our new user friend here. I'm sorry a comment not direct at or for you was taken as a personal attack.
    You may not have noticed but you were the second person to have imparted that information in this thread. I didn't take it as a personal attack. Just a piece of redundant pedantry.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 588 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    [ I didn't take it as a personal attack. Just a piece of redundant pedantry.
    Ooooooo. I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked!
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (February 16th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 806 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    ...the thread had devolved into many separate sub-conversations....
    Did you hear about the polar bears in Russia?
    Ok this thread has run its course, I'm locking it up.

Oooops! Wrong forum!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

AzJon (February 16th, 2019), Chrissy (February 17th, 2019), FredRydr (February 16th, 2019)

Thanks

AzJon and Ptero: The Redundant Pedants.

It does have a nice ring to it, doesn't it?

Thanks

Regarding the Lamy 2000 or Aion: have you considered the Lamy Studio? I have bought two Studio's as a 'level up' from my Safari's and Metro's and I love the Studio's! While they use the same nib as the Safari's, the writing experience is different (because of a different feed I asume) and the Studio's have a 'nice pen' feel and look about them.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,480 Times in 1,744 Posts

I had to look up the Alessi lemon juicer.

Thanks for the nightmare fodder.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdyhistorian View Post
    Regarding the Lamy 2000 or Aion: have you considered the Lamy Studio? I have bought two Studio's as a 'level up' from my Safari's and Metro's and I love the Studio's! While they use the same nib as the Safari's, the writing experience is different (because of a different feed I asume) and the Studio's have a 'nice pen' feel and look about them.
    The Studio is an absolutely lovely pen, and in no way shape or form have I discarded Lamy from my considerations. I do like the Lamy extra-fine nibs quite a bit, even though I consider them to be slightly wet for my tastes. I love the design of the Aion, and may well find myself needing one simply for the aesthetic appeal of it :-) On the other hand, however, if I'm going-in with that level of expense, I'm thinking that I may as well go for a 2000.

I am visiting in San Francisco for a while, and had the pleasure, yesterday, of visiting a shop which had a few Pilot Vanishing Point pens to demo. I found it interesting that the one thing I thought I wouldn't like about that pen -- the placement of the clip -- didn't particularly bother me. Surprisingly, what I did not like about it is the line quality. It's good, but not really what I was hoping for, and -- honestly -- I think I like my lowly Metropolitan better. Maybe that's just my inexperience at work, for all I know, but I think I was able to remove it from serious consideration.

I'm headed over to another shop, today, in Japantown, hopefully to try a few more pens and possibly make a purchase. We shall see... At this point I think I have narrowed my considerations to a Lamy 2000, Pilot Falcon, Pilot 912, or a Pelikan P200. That list will likely still go through a few iterations and -- realistically -- I know that at some point I'll likely own them all, given the direction my pen fetish is moving :-)

Thanks

Just in case anyone is still following this thread, and just FWIW, I pulled the trigger on a Pilot 74, after trying one at a shop in San Francisco. I think I will be very happy with the purchase. I'm glad to have spent only about half my budget on a wonderful, gold-nibbed pen :-)

Incidentally, another pen I was able to try is the Caran d'Ache 849, in an extra fine nib. I have to say of it: for the brief time I was able to write with it, I was quite impressed. Good-looking, substantial pen, nice feel, and lovely line quality.

Have yet to try a Lamy 2000, and I still have my eye on one, perhaps, for eventual acquisition. But for now I can certainly wait :-)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to michaeldoleman For This Useful Post:

azkid (February 18th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by michaeldoleman View Post
    Just in case anyone is still following this thread, and just FWIW, I pulled the trigger on a Pilot 74, after trying one at a shop in San Francisco. I think I will be very happy with the purchase. I'm glad to have spent only about half my budget on a wonderful, gold-nibbed pen :-)

Incidentally, another pen I was able to try is the Caran d'Ache 849, in an extra fine nib. I have to say of it: for the brief time I was able to write with it, I was quite impressed. Good-looking, substantial pen, nice feel, and lovely line quality.

Have yet to try a Lamy 2000, and I still have my eye on one, perhaps, for eventual acquisition. But for now I can certainly wait :-)
    I was going to recommend the 74 based on the stuff you've been saying in this thread-- I think you'll be thrilled with it. Which nib did you get?

Keep the 2000 on your list-- it's a classic and every pen lover should be familiar with it. I appreciate the criticisms offered in this thread, too; no pen is for everybody. (incidentally, I just reviewed the 2000, click the link in my signature to find it if you care to.)

As for other Lamys, based on conversations I've had with knowledgeable pen folks, and having handled the new designs myself, stick with the classic designs like the Studio or the 2000. The Aion is a stinker and so's the new really expensive one.

Keep at it and keep asking questions!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by manoeuver View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by michaeldoleman View Post

I was going to recommend the 74 based on the stuff you've been saying in this thread-- I think you'll be thrilled with it. Which nib did you get?

Keep the 2000 on your list-- it's a classic and every pen lover should be familiar with it. I appreciate the criticisms offered in this thread, too; no pen is for everybody. (incidentally, I just reviewed the 2000, click the link in my signature to find it if you care to.)

As for other Lamys, based on conversations I've had with knowledgeable pen folks, and having handled the new designs myself, stick with the classic designs like the Studio or the 2000. The Aion is a stinker and so's the new really expensive one.

Keep at it and keep asking questions!
    Would love to read your review, but all that comes up is giant white lettering on black.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

Would love to read your review, but all that comes up is giant white lettering on black.
    sorry, here's the direct link: https://timhofmann.org/lamy2000/

apologies for putting it here also, although I guess it is germane to the discussion.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by manoeuver View Post
    sorry, here's the direct link: https://timhofmann.org/lamy2000/

apologies for putting it here also, although I guess it is germane to the discussion.
    Thanks!

I like mine, a regular Makrolon with EF nib that worked great right out of the box. What sweet spot?

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

catbert (February 28th, 2019), inklord (February 28th, 2019), manoeuver (February 19th, 2019)

Thanks

FWIW I love my Lamy 2000s with broad and double broad nibs. They are superb wet writers, lovely pens. I don't like the fine nibs so much. But if you want a broad writer, L2000 won't disappoint.

I generally find things like the clip on the Pilot Capless to be a nuisance and had anticipated the 'ears' on the L2000 would be similar. In fact, I now have completely forgotten that they're there.

Look for a special offer or on the secondhand market for a L2000 and you can sometimes get one at a very good price.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to amk For This Useful Post:

inklord (February 28th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post
    FWIW I love my Lamy 2000s with broad and double broad nibs. They are superb wet writers, lovely pens. I don't like the fine nibs so much. But if you want a broad writer, L2000 won't disappoint.
    ... likewise but since i now prefer finer nibs, i found that a little "rounding" with an ultra fine ceramic stone and subsequent smoothing with mylar helps a lot.