So, here is (probably) yet another post along the lines of "how do you get into pen making?" But not exactly...

I'm already a fairly advanced woodworker (been doing it for 25 years) and have a shop full of equipment. So I know my way around wood & tools. I've even done a bit of metalworking, too. Having recently gotten into fountain pens, it seems an obvious fit to want to make some pens.

I have exactly zero interest, however, in making pens from the kits that I see. Rather, what I'd like to do is simply produce bodies for the pens that I already own and love, like my Pilot Metro, et al. All the instructional/how-to resources out there that I see seem to be quite focused on the opposite: construction from kits. And, also, they seem to focus on slimline click pens -- another thing in which I have precisely zero interest.

What are some good resources I would need to get going with understanding how to make wood (or for that matter turned metal) pen bodies? Also, what are some recommendations for a relatively inexpensive (say $300 to $400) benchtop lathe?