Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 53

Thread: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

  1. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

    So, I just joined yesterday. I have been "in to" fountain pens now for about a year and a half after starting with a pilot metropolitan. My most used pens are vanishing points which I use at work every day.

    I recently fell in love with with a parker vacumatic which I pulled the trigger on and it kindled a bug for more pens in the vintage realm. So, due early next week is a really nice parker 51 in midnight blue. Also due in next week is a Pilot E95. I also upgraded my pen storage from a single tray display to a double tray.....that is worrisome development from a financial perspective but the collection is slowly growing. I don't have any high end grail pens but do daydream about a high end Pelikan some day.

    I have learned a lot on my journey so far but realize I still have so much more to learn.

  2. #22
    Senior Member azkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    858
    Thanks
    1,414
    Thanked 707 Times in 330 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

    I would love to see pics. My first pen was a Metro (the gateway pen) and a black 51 custom aero was my 4th. Found it for a song in an antique mall. I haven't inked that one up in awhile but it was always a good writer and totally reliable.

  3. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

    Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    I would love to see pics. My first pen was a Metro (the gateway pen) and a black 51 custom aero was my 4th. Found it for a song in an antique mall. I haven't inked that one up in awhile but it was always a good writer and totally reliable.
    The Parker Vacumatic is below - I'll add the 51 when it comes in next week.

    Old-New.jpg

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pizzicar For This Useful Post:

    azkid (March 3rd, 2019), Scrawler (March 11th, 2019)

  5. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Alabama, USA
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

    Hi,

    joined awhile back n wanna say this forum is great and thanks! great for knowledge and the pen journey continues on. I regret to say sometimes I wish I didn't stumble into this place cause I have picked up "cough" a number of fountain pens for me. way more than the 1 or maybe 2 .. I originally stumbled in here to search info for.

    Now I bring a penvelope 13 pens case to work... n have to constantly cull back the number of pens inks. Co workers think I am nuts by the way... cause work
    gives us free bic ballpoiints n here I go refilling iroshizuku kon peki ink (the fact that I can spell it without looking up shows my downward spiral down the
    rabbit hole)... that I bought n brought from home.

    I also routinely scan my local area in mobile/spanish fort, Alabama for fountain pen users ...hoping to meet up n geek out on fountain pens and ink over coffee... I so have a problem... lol

    innerlight
    https://www.instagram.com/innerlights2k/

  6. #25
    Senior Member Deb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Highlands of Scotland
    Posts
    899
    Thanks
    507
    Thanked 850 Times in 392 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

    Quote Originally Posted by innerlight View Post
    Hi,

    joined awhile back n wanna say this forum is great and thanks! great for knowledge and the pen journey continues on. I regret to say sometimes I wish I didn't stumble into this place cause I have picked up "cough" a number of fountain pens for me. way more than the 1 or maybe 2 .. I originally stumbled in here to search info for.

    Now I bring a penvelope 13 pens case to work... n have to constantly cull back the number of pens inks. Co workers think I am nuts by the way... cause work
    gives us free bic ballpoiints n here I go refilling iroshizuku kon peki ink (the fact that I can spell it without looking up shows my downward spiral down the
    rabbit hole)... that I bought n brought from home.

    I also routinely scan my local area in mobile/spanish fort, Alabama for fountain pen users ...hoping to meet up n geek out on fountain pens and ink over coffee... I so have a problem... lol

    innerlight
    https://www.instagram.com/innerlights2k/
    When I was at work my employers also supplied Bic ballpoints but I doggedly and determinedly stuck to my Sheaffer Targa. They clearly thought I was a bit strange in the head.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog
    My Pen Sales

  7. #26
    Senior Member Voiren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    176
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 391 Times in 88 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post

    When I was at work my employers also supplied Bic ballpoints but I doggedly and determinedly stuck to my Sheaffer Targa. They clearly thought I was a bit strange in the head.
    Work used to supply gel pens and Oxford Optik notebooks. I did not know how lucky I was! Now we're not-even-Bic biros and Niceday notebooks. Admittedly, the latter aren't too bad for fountain pens. Bringing your own stationery isn't unusual though!

  8. #27
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Regina, SK, CA
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

    Nothing new here - I already had a pretty hefty supply of fountain pens and ink prior to joining here - but I did clean out some neglected pens, and reinked a few:

    - Lamy Al-Star, 1.1mm stub nib, Waterman Florida Blue
    - Lamy Safari, F nib, Waterman Florida Blue (and now that bottle's empty)
    - Marxton 1920s lever-fill, Private Reserve Dakota Red
    - Hero 616, Private Reserve Dakota Red (since emptied) - the above two for midterm-exam grading, which I'm resuming shortly...
    - Lamy 2000, M nib, Lamy Black - I had to find this pen; it had been misplaced
    - Parker 51 Vacumatic, M nib, Diamine Majestic Blue - which will be my go-to blue ink for awhile until I deplete that bottle
    - Sailor 1911, music nib, Waterman Green

    I also cleaned out my green Parker Vacumatic Major that contained J. Herbin Vert Empire. I'm not going to fill it again until I drain a couple more pens - I don't want too many on the go - but that pen and that ink are one of my favourite combinations for correspondence.

    I did sign up for a snail mail question-answering project this month on A World of Snail Mail. That will help me deplete the ink levels in these pens somewhat. And I prepared my traveling journal for mailing tomorrow - I've been in that project for several years, I think close to ten. I've met all the participants in person now but one.

    I have been tempted to get another pen or two, but there is definitely no pen famine in this household, so I am resisting. I need to use what I have more. But at least I am using them.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to PhotoJim For This Useful Post:

    azkid (March 3rd, 2019)

  10. #28
    Senior Member azkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    858
    Thanks
    1,414
    Thanked 707 Times in 330 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

    Love that vacumatic and TWSBI.

    The people at work think I'm nuts too... Except I work at home so... Yeah.

    I'm kidding. My wife and daughter are actually converts to fountain pen use.

  11. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Dallas, as in the 80's TV Series
    Posts
    2,193
    Thanks
    1,503
    Thanked 2,597 Times in 951 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

    Almost weekend bump!

    Note to veteran members, if you like to see newer members posting here, I could use your help to bump this thread up.
    - Will
    Sketches with restored vintage fountain pens: Redeem Pens

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

    azkid (March 8th, 2019)

  13. #30
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Alabama, USA
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?


  14. The Following User Says Thank You to innerlight For This Useful Post:

    penwash (March 9th, 2019)

  15. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    65
    Thanked 22 Times in 8 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

    I've been into fountain pens, now, for all of a couple months, and been a member of the forum for just a couple weeks, I think. So far so good! I've gotten some great advice on a few things, in terms of helping me make some decisions about what sorts of pens and writing experience I prefer. My interest has mostly been functional, in that I want to improve my penmanship, and I enjoy journaling and writing by hand, in general.

    I started-out with a couple Lamy Safaris, a Pilot Metro, Pilot Explorer, and Kaweco Liliput. Based on my experience with those pens, I started gravitating toward pens that produces really fine-fine lines. The Pilot pens quickly became favorites, and I thus bought a Pilot Custom 74 in fine, as my first "nice" pen.

    Since then, I purchased a couple TWSBI vac-filler pens, and I really like those a lot. I love the whole concept of filling the pen, itself, with ink, rather than involving a cartridge or converter. Functionally, it just seems more straightforward. One of the TWSBI pens is a square/italic nib, which I have really taken to. Both pens, in fact, led me to veer back toward liking a broader line width.

    So, based on that, I decided to pull the trigger on a Lamy 2000, which had been my initial target for a really nice pen. It's quite a splurge, for me, and that'll round-out my small collection for a while. I decided I liked the overall look of the 2000 enough to spend the money and take the risk that I may not like it. I've yet to take delivery of it.

    Next up, I would like to try Pelikan, Platinum, and Sailor pens, in that order. The Pelikan I have in mind is an M205 -- the olivine-colored piston filler. I'd like a Platinum 3776 and Sailor 1911, although I have to say I am less excited about both those pens, now, since they are both cartridge/converter, and I am beginning to think that for my really nice pens I might want to start sticking to piston, vacuum, or eyedropper fill only. We'll see...

    I may simply hold-out and get a Pilot 823 -- I think that might be my "ultimate" pen, at this point.

    Other, outlying pens I kinda want to try: a Faber-Castell, probably a Loom; a Caran d'ache 849; a Pilot Elabo flex-nib. Honestly, I really enjoy the TWSBI pens quite a bit. I may acquire a couple more of those.

    I've taken a peek around eBay, and a few other sources, for vintage pens, but as of yet I'm not sure that's a direction I really want to go. I can tend to get really quite overly-consumed, early-on, with new hobbies. I want to keep something in reserve, and remember that the reason I even got a fountain pen, in the first place, was just to practice my writing :-)

  16. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Dallas, as in the 80's TV Series
    Posts
    2,193
    Thanks
    1,503
    Thanked 2,597 Times in 951 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

    Quote Originally Posted by michaeldoleman View Post
    I've taken a peek around eBay, and a few other sources, for vintage pens, but as of yet I'm not sure that's a direction I really want to go. I can tend to get really quite overly-consumed, early-on, with new hobbies. I want to keep something in reserve, and remember that the reason I even got a fountain pen, in the first place, was just to practice my writing :-)
    With vintage pens, more learning and reading is necessary to get your bearing first. A lot of people made the mistake of starting their journey by buying from ebay which ended with a lot of disappointment.
    - Will
    Sketches with restored vintage fountain pens: Redeem Pens

  17. #33
    Senior Member calamus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Redwoods Rainforest
    Posts
    546
    Thanks
    407
    Thanked 372 Times in 195 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

    Quote Originally Posted by innerlight View Post
    Hi,

    joined awhile back n wanna say this forum is great and thanks! great for knowledge and the pen journey continues on. I regret to say sometimes I wish I didn't stumble into this place cause I have picked up "cough" a number of fountain pens for me. way more than the 1 or maybe 2 .. I originally stumbled in here to search info for.

    Now I bring a penvelope 13 pens case to work... n have to constantly cull back the number of pens inks. Co workers think I am nuts by the way... cause work
    gives us free bic ballpoiints n here I go refilling iroshizuku kon peki ink (the fact that I can spell it without looking up shows my downward spiral down the
    rabbit hole)... that I bought n brought from home.

    I also routinely scan my local area in mobile/spanish fort, Alabama for fountain pen users ...hoping to meet up n geek out on fountain pens and ink over coffee... I so have a problem... lol

    innerlight
    https://www.instagram.com/innerlights2k/
    Wow. And all this time I thought I thought I was the only one around here who who took a bottle of kon-peki to work with him.

    Actually, they've been very indulgent of me at work, possibly in part because our general manager has a collection of pens that includes Parkers, Sheaffers and Montblancs (yes, plurals of each), plus other pens. He used to work at a place that sold them, and he'd get them at wholesale. He doesn't use them, he just keeps them NIB and intends to pass them onto his son. Which is why he won't sell me one. He did buy me a pack of Pilot Varsities when he was taking orders for Bics and Sharpies last year, which was very kind of him, but then I picked up an Esterbrook desk set that stays on my desk and which I use every day, so no more Varsities. The Varsity set I did get was in assorted colors, and comes in handy for the odd task that requires multiple colors of ink. I use the Esterbrook with Waterman green ink for marking forms -- we have a system at our office in which more than one person will add notes to the same document, and everybody has their own color ink so everyone knows who wrote what. My color is green. For everything else I use whatever I'm carrying, which lately has been inked with kon-peki.
    Last edited by calamus; March 11th, 2019 at 06:36 PM.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

  18. #34
    Senior Member calamus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Redwoods Rainforest
    Posts
    546
    Thanks
    407
    Thanked 372 Times in 195 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

    Quote Originally Posted by michaeldoleman View Post
    I've been into fountain pens, now, for all of a couple months, and been a member of the forum for just a couple weeks, I think. So far so good! I've gotten some great advice on a few things, in terms of helping me make some decisions about what sorts of pens and writing experience I prefer. My interest has mostly been functional, in that I want to improve my penmanship, and I enjoy journaling and writing by hand, in general.

    I started-out with a couple Lamy Safaris, a Pilot Metro, Pilot Explorer, and Kaweco Liliput. Based on my experience with those pens, I started gravitating toward pens that produces really fine-fine lines. The Pilot pens quickly became favorites, and I thus bought a Pilot Custom 74 in fine, as my first "nice" pen.

    Since then, I purchased a couple TWSBI vac-filler pens, and I really like those a lot. I love the whole concept of filling the pen, itself, with ink, rather than involving a cartridge or converter. Functionally, it just seems more straightforward. One of the TWSBI pens is a square/italic nib, which I have really taken to. Both pens, in fact, led me to veer back toward liking a broader line width.

    So, based on that, I decided to pull the trigger on a Lamy 2000, which had been my initial target for a really nice pen. It's quite a splurge, for me, and that'll round-out my small collection for a while. I decided I liked the overall look of the 2000 enough to spend the money and take the risk that I may not like it. I've yet to take delivery of it.

    Next up, I would like to try Pelikan, Platinum, and Sailor pens, in that order. The Pelikan I have in mind is an M205 -- the olivine-colored piston filler. I'd like a Platinum 3776 and Sailor 1911, although I have to say I am less excited about both those pens, now, since they are both cartridge/converter, and I am beginning to think that for my really nice pens I might want to start sticking to piston, vacuum, or eyedropper fill only. We'll see...

    I may simply hold-out and get a Pilot 823 -- I think that might be my "ultimate" pen, at this point.

    Other, outlying pens I kinda want to try: a Faber-Castell, probably a Loom; a Caran d'ache 849; a Pilot Elabo flex-nib. Honestly, I really enjoy the TWSBI pens quite a bit. I may acquire a couple more of those.

    I've taken a peek around eBay, and a few other sources, for vintage pens, but as of yet I'm not sure that's a direction I really want to go. I can tend to get really quite overly-consumed, early-on, with new hobbies. I want to keep something in reserve, and remember that the reason I even got a fountain pen, in the first place, was just to practice my writing :-)
    I love love love my 1911. Pilots, too. I've heard that compared to them Platinums tend to be a little scratchy, but I don't know because I've never had a chance to try one out.

    Also, there is an advantage to converters: you can change to a different ink sooner, if you want to play with lots of different colors. I've actually gotten bored with an ink and dumped out half an eyedropper load just to go on to another ink. So cartridges and converters have their place. Also cartridges are very convenient and much less messy than other systems. Very convenient for taking reams of notes without having to stop in the middle of what you're doing to refill, which can happen even with a piston filler or eyedropper. Just slap in another cartridge, and you're good to go.

    BTW, Sailor also makes a 1911 Realo that's a piston-filler, but it's kind of pricey. I sure would like one. (That's just in case Santa Claus is listening).
    Last edited by calamus; March 12th, 2019 at 11:18 AM.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

    michaeldoleman (March 11th, 2019)

  20. #35
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Regina, SK, CA
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

    Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    Sailor also makes a 1911 Realo that's a piston-filler, but it's kind of pricey. I sure would like one. (That's just in case Santa Claus is listening).
    I treated myself to one of these a few years ago, with a Music nib (which is a delightful stub-like broad nib). It's one of my favourite pens.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to PhotoJim For This Useful Post:

    michaeldoleman (March 12th, 2019)

  22. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    65
    Thanked 22 Times in 8 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    Sailor also makes a 1911 Realo that's a piston-filler, but it's kind of pricey. I sure would like one. (That's just in case Santa Claus is listening).
    I treated myself to one of these a few years ago, with a Music nib (which is a delightful stub-like broad nib). It's one of my favourite pens.
    That sounds like a really great pen. Sailor has caught my interest in a big way. I still think that Pelikan remains at the top of my list as my next probable acquisition, but a Sailor will be next in line after that, I think. Great to know that a piston-filler is available.

  23. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    65
    Thanked 22 Times in 8 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

    Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    Also, there is an advantage to converters: you can change to a different ink sooner, if you want to play with lots of different colors. I've actually gotten bored with an ink and dumped out half an eyedropper load just to go on to another ink. So cartridges and converters have their place. Also cartridges are very convenient and much less messy than other systems. Very convenient for taking reams of notes without having to stop in the middle of what you're doing to refill, which can happen even with a piston filler or eyedropper. Just slap in another cartridge, and you're good to go.
    I am finding the differences in usage to be very interesting -- it seems that everyone has the variously individual reasons for liking one particular style of pen over another. Case in point: the very advantage you cite for cartridges and converters is exactly what I consider to be a disadvantage, and why I like piston- or vacuum-fill pens. With a piston-filler, I can very easily load it with just a but of ink, if I prefer, if I'm just wanting to try a new ink. Or, even better, I can easily press the ink back out, into the bottle, clean it, and start over, on a whim. This is true, also, for a converter pen, but one has to go through the extra step of disassembling the pen body and potentially pulling the converter, to clean it, separately. I like having the whole filling mechanism self-contained. I feel that it makes the process simpler. And in terms of having sufficient ink, nothing I know of comes close to the capacity of piston fill pens.

    That Realo sounds like it needs to be on my shortlist :-)

  24. #38
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

    Post No.1 but been here a little while!

    This kind of thing is always a good ice breaker :-)

    1. New pen, ink, notebook - Bought a couple of pens, a Montblanc 146 and Platinum Izumo, I'm an ink lover my most recent being KWZ Walk over Vistula, KWZ Cherry, Akkerman Passage Blue and Akkerman Hoftwartier Groen (I'd run out of a bunch at the same time but Walk over Vistula was a bit impulsive but so worthwhile!)
    2. New things learned since - Lots of tips and lots of avenues to explore - that's how I learned about the Izumo and also the Japanese nib size differences!
    3. New restoration story, if you're into that - I'm not clever enough for that. I did a lap of honour when I changed the nib in my Conid AntwerPPen!
    4. New dream pen(s) - I'd like to add at some point a Montblanc 149 (a bit boring I know) or a Sailor King of Pen (I like a bigger pen)
    5. Anything else FP related - Tomoe River Paper is amazing for use with a fountain pen (I hate to see feathering and bleeding)

    Thanks for having me...

    DC

  25. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Dallas, as in the 80's TV Series
    Posts
    2,193
    Thanks
    1,503
    Thanked 2,597 Times in 951 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dai Capp View Post
    Post No.1 but been here a little while!

    This kind of thing is always a good ice breaker :-)

    1. New pen, ink, notebook - Bought a couple of pens, a Montblanc 146 and Platinum Izumo, I'm an ink lover my most recent being KWZ Walk over Vistula, KWZ Cherry, Akkerman Passage Blue and Akkerman Hoftwartier Groen (I'd run out of a bunch at the same time but Walk over Vistula was a bit impulsive but so worthwhile!)
    2. New things learned since - Lots of tips and lots of avenues to explore - that's how I learned about the Izumo and also the Japanese nib size differences!
    3. New restoration story, if you're into that - I'm not clever enough for that. I did a lap of honour when I changed the nib in my Conid AntwerPPen!
    4. New dream pen(s) - I'd like to add at some point a Montblanc 149 (a bit boring I know) or a Sailor King of Pen (I like a bigger pen)
    5. Anything else FP related - Tomoe River Paper is amazing for use with a fountain pen (I hate to see feathering and bleeding)

    Thanks for having me...

    DC
    Hi DC, I like your reply and you're right, those points are a good icebreaker for us pen people, LOL!
    And I don't think Montblanc 149 is boring per se, it just has less character than its vintage predecessors like the 139
    - Will
    Sketches with restored vintage fountain pens: Redeem Pens

  26. #40
    Senior Member Cyril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    152
    Thanks
    309
    Thanked 61 Times in 39 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Talking Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

    I am too older to this forum about a year.
    Yes I agree it is a journey I restarted abounding my major hobby as a photographer. My whole past 20 years was devoted to photography. I love writing and owned few ( Still they are there) very good pens like Montblanc and Feber Castell and some old Osmiroid Callygraphy and they are called Vintage Now. When I bought them they were just another pens. So come to the point I just got connected to the Ebay and I just bought some ink and seen lot of pens in the Ebay and suddenly seen the Spencerian writing and thought I have to restart my writing. So that is how every thing started and I am writing doing exercises and learning how to doodle with pens and ink insted of playing wirh my cameras and films. It is a real fun and I tend to be at home insted of roaming around with my cameras. I have a goal to learn how to write ( Americam Spencerian or similarly American Buiseness writing ) and next learning Calligraphy, the old passion I had in my mind in older days.
    As a result I am spending time with Forums of pens and writing.Like this community. I did the same way when I did photography too . It is the best way to be in touch with people who have the similar mindset ,to meet and connect with people. That is what I do here just right now .
    Y,es it is a fun and yes you have to have a self controll in accumulating all the stuff around writing.
    I already have about 1/2 Kg of vintage dip pens nibs lot of holders and more than 45 fountain Pens.and a small supply of ink selection to go with. Importantly, in my collection I have very important collectable Vitage pens which writes wonderfully. I am not a collecter but I like to use them modetrately and with lot of care. They are deserve to be used and taken care at the same time. I am afraid that is another level of this journey. In my experience Modern pen and the vintage pen have a significant different charactor in writing. To know this you have to observe how people write ( draw letters insted of writing ) ex. Calligraphers and prople who lettering with different nibs and instruments with ink. My montblanc collection and my Waterman 52 BCHR pens do very diffrently. I got to that level of knowing by throwing myself to get to use them.

    I have a Special Board deicated to writing and history of writing on Images. https://www.pinterest.co.uk/cjayant/...g-instruments/ I am planning to create my own Web site soon one day.
    Last edited by Cyril; March 16th, 2019 at 06:50 PM.

  27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cyril For This Useful Post:

    azkid (March 16th, 2019), calamus (March 16th, 2019)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •