Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

Thanks

Default Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

Hi, I'm Dedrix!

I'm relatively new to the fountain pen obsession. I've started journaling after a long hiatus. I'm finding I love to journal as much as I did many years ago and my fountain pens are making it even more enjoyable. I've started with the Pilot Metropolitan (fine nib) and the Pilot Kakuno (fine nib). I bent the nib on my Kakuno and managed to straighten it; however, it is a bit scratchy. Any help here would be appreciated (I'd rather experiment on more inexpensive pens). I've tried a few Chinese pens and have found that they are nice but do not have the same smoothness as the Pilot pens. I have a Pilot Prera that should be arriving in a few days, so it'll be nice to see if it is as nice as the Metropolitan. My fantasy pens are the Pilot Custom 74 and the Pilot Vanishing Point. I'd also like to try the TWSBI eco. I do like the finer nibs of the Japanese pens; however, I still enjoy a buttery smooth writing experience. If you all have any suggestions, I'd be willing to listen. My journal of choice is a Moleskin XL. I'd be willing to try out other papers as I'm really enjoying my writing experience. Suggestions would be appreciated.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dedrix For This Useful Post:

calamus (March 17th, 2019), Cyril (March 17th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,379 Times in 586 Posts

Default Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

Quote Originally Posted by Dedrix View Post
    Hi, I'm Dedrix!

I'm relatively new to the fountain pen obsession. I've started journaling after a long hiatus. I'm finding I love to journal as much as I did many years ago and my fountain pens are making it even more enjoyable. I've started with the Pilot Metropolitan (fine nib) and the Pilot Kakuno (fine nib). I bent the nib on my Kakuno and managed to straighten it; however, it is a bit scratchy. Any help here would be appreciated (I'd rather experiment on more inexpensive pens). I've tried a few Chinese pens and have found that they are nice but do not have the same smoothness as the Pilot pens. I have a Pilot Prera that should be arriving in a few days, so it'll be nice to see if it is as nice as the Metropolitan. My fantasy pens are the Pilot Custom 74 and the Pilot Vanishing Point. I'd also like to try the TWSBI eco. I do like the finer nibs of the Japanese pens; however, I still enjoy a buttery smooth writing experience. If you all have any suggestions, I'd be willing to listen. My journal of choice is a Moleskin XL. I'd be willing to try out other papers as I'm really enjoying my writing experience. Suggestions would be appreciated.
    Your journey is starting off a lot like mine (and many other people's) did. The Pilot Metropolitan seems to be the gateway drug of choice. From there it's a short step to the Prera (I'm sure you'll love yours as much as I love mine). Eventually I developed a more serious dependency. The Custom 74 is nice, but not nearly as elegant-looking as my Sailor 1911. The Custom 823, however, has been winking at me. But it was the discovery of German nibs that upped the ante. After buying a Lamy and a Nemosine, I was hooked. At the moment I have a Pelikan on the way. You want a suggestion? Right now Birmingham Pen Company has Nemosine Singularities on sale for $14.99. Amazing writers. Buttery. Smooth.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    I already have about 1/2 Kg of vintage dip pens nibs

You sound like you're having way too much fun!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

Cyril (March 17th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Dedrix, I had the same mishap with a Metropolitan. It turns out Wing Sung makes clone Pilot nibs that will interchange.

They have their own 'feel' but I find them to be very nice writers in their own right.

If you would like me to ship you one of my many extra Wing Sung nibs (as a pay it forward) let me know. Just send me a private message.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

calamus (March 17th, 2019), stevekolt (May 2nd, 2021)

Thanks

Cyril, I would love to see your drawings. I bet others would to. If you would indulge us we have a few threads going with people showing off their artwork.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

calamus (March 17th, 2019), Cyril (March 17th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    Hi, I'm Dedrix!

Your journey is starting off a lot like mine (and many other people's) did. The Pilot Metropolitan seems to be the gateway drug of choice. From there it's a short step to the Prera (I'm sure you'll love yours as much as I love mine). Eventually I developed a more serious dependency. The Custom 74 is nice, but not nearly as elegant-looking as my Sailor 1911. The Custom 823, however, has been winking at me. But it was the discovery of German nibs that upped the ante. After buying a Lamy and a Nemosine, I was hooked. At the moment I have a Pelikan on the way. You want a suggestion? Right now Birmingham Pen Company has Nemosine Singularities on sale for $14.99. Amazing writers. Buttery. Smooth.
    Thank you for the warm welcome. Now I have the Singularity on the way. I'm sure I'll have fun trying it out. Thank you for the suggestions. I have quite a few pens to research and fall in love with now!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dedrix For This Useful Post:

azkid (March 16th, 2019), calamus (March 17th, 2019)

Thanks

Calamus,
    Agree and I must confess It is way too much, These nibs are wonderful to see and I am trying some nibs removing the original coating then they loose the original value.
    But I don't care. Some nibs are turning in to a category LABELED CALLED COLLECTION. It happened in time as I found very original shapes and designed. Really it is a great thing to know about how the history evolved through the period and we end up using Ball point pen massly

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cyril For This Useful Post:

calamus (March 17th, 2019)

Thanks

Calamus,
    Agree and I must confess It is way too much, These nibs are wonderful to see and I am trying some nibs removing the original coating then they loose the original value.
    But I don't care. Some nibs are turning in to a category LABELED CALLED COLLECTION. It happened in time as I found very original shapes and designed. Really it is a great thing to know about how the history evolved through the period and we end up using Ball point pen massly
    I would love to see some photographs of the nibs. I'm sure other people would too. I have a few vintage nibs that I've acquired and which I use, including come Macniven and Cameron Waverly nibs. I also have some Gillotts (including a few Principalities) that I'll be using once I learn engrosser's script.

And do please show us some of your drawings!
    Last edited by calamus; March 17th, 2019 at 09:45 PM.

Thanks

Thank you for the warm welcome. Now I have the Singularity on the way. I'm sure I'll have fun trying it out. Thank you for the suggestions. I have quite a few pens to research and fall in love with now!
    That's great. Let us know how you like it. I find that mine (I got an M) writes as well as some of my gold-nibbed pens. It really surprised me.

Thanks

Calamus,
    I would love to see some photographs of the nibs. I'm sure other people would too. I have a few vintage nibs that I've acquired and which I use, including come Macniven and Cameron Waverly nibs. I also have some Gillotts (including a few Principalities) that I'll be
    using once I learn engrosser's script.

And do please show us some of your drawings!

Hi Calamus, I will post some picturs of my nibs and perhaps the pen holders that I am using and trying those Vintage nibs. My collection labled nibs are not yet used as I have catagarised them as unusual nibs. They have different shapes and special designed imprints and looks very old.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,685 Times in 1,969 Posts

Let's give this thread a bump to hear from some of our newer members.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

I'm rather new to Fountain Pens. I have a Lamy Al Star that sits in a drawer unused but I keep it for sentimental reasons. I hated it so much I used it for a few months gave up and didn't touch a fountain pen for two years. I got the itch again but decided to try again, bought a TWSBI 580 (medium) in a size up nib from my Lamy (fine) and I fell down the rabbit hole and haven't looked back. For my upcoming graduation the beau gifted me a Sailor Pro Gear Slim in Purple Cosmos then conveniently our three year anniversary fell at the end of this month and he also gifted me an Edison Nouveau Premiere Trunk Bay. I have five pens now and I'm still learning about what I like and don't like. The new Pelikan M600 Violet-White looks beautiful and I tried talking myself out of it everyday since it came out, so out of my budget. I love my Sailor but I'm finding it difficult to find online in a zoom nib.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    -- Jessi

Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 840 Posts

I agree with you, both about the Al Star and the Pro Gear Slim which is one of my favourite modern pens.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 6,685 Times in 1,969 Posts

Lots of new members joined. Time to give this thread a bump!
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

Hello everyone,
    - I joined in March 2019
    - I visit the forum almost every day and read old and new posts. Because English is my second language I will post more rarely, I think.
    - I have got a nice letter and postcards from one of the fpg members. I sent him a reply letter, as well.
    - I have attached some photos of my fountain pens and from a movie where used a HERO 329 fountain pen.
    - Just arrived a HERO 5020 and a WING SUNG 590
    - Waiting for a HERO 1501 (I can't afford and don't want to buy expensive pens...)
    - I met a "real" calligrapher in my town a couple of days ago accidentally. I'd like to learn calligraphy from her
    - Every Saturday I go to the local fleamarket and looking for fountain pens, fp holders, inkwells etc.
    - I enjoy using my fountain pens.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FreeLance For This Useful Post:

azkid (May 6th, 2019), carlos.q (May 6th, 2019)

Thanks

Great to hear about your journey

Thanks

Hey all! I joined last month, but have been using a FP for the last 25 years. My gateway pen was a Parker Vector - which I still love. I mainly used Pilot V pens while I was in the Army - easy to replace when one was lost/destroyed, but along the way picked up some pretty nice pens. I have a penvelope with 15 in it, but I'm always looking for more. I have already decided to only get ink samplers, since the 3 bottles of ink I currently own have lasted for several years. I really enjoy reading the different threads, and have learned so much more than I ever expected to. I have started looking at the antique shops and Goodwill for pens for that rare find.

I have passed my love of the fountain pen to my oldest son, and several teachers in my school. I look forward to learning so much more!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Cookedj For This Useful Post:

azkid (May 6th, 2019)

Thanks

Hi, I'm Dedrix!

Get the Custom 823. After years of FPs and dozens of pens, Custom 823 is my favorite one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by michaeldoleman View Post
    I've taken a peek around eBay, and a few other sources, for vintage pens, but as of yet I'm not sure that's a direction I really want to go. I can tend to get really quite overly-consumed, early-on, with new hobbies. I want to keep something in reserve, and remember that the reason I even got a fountain pen, in the first place, was just to practice my writing :-)
    With vintage pens, more learning and reading is necessary to get your bearing first. A lot of people made the mistake of starting their journey by buying from ebay which ended with a lot of disappointment.
    When I started out about 2 years ago that was the mistake I made. Don’t be me lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Thanks for asking. I'm a bit over the 60 days, having joined in February, but anyway here goes. I'm a bit of a obsessive so once bitten by the bug I've really caught the disease. I joined because I had rediscover a 1955 Sheaffer Snorkel pen and pencil set that my parents had given me for my high school graduation. The pen wasn't working and I decided that I would try my hand at its repair. Wouldn't you know I would start out on a Snorkel! In any case, I managed to eventually (lots of online research and with several trials and errors) get it working and looking like new. While working on it I hit on an idea to give similar sets to each of my 13 grandchildren for their high school graduations. They range from 3 to 30 years of age. Searching eBay and antiques stores, managed to find 13 sets (8 Snorkels and 5 Touchdowns). They are all restored and packaged for shipping shortly. (I'm writing a letter to accompany each and that's the slowest part of the project) Five of the grandkids have already graduated and they will get theirs now, the other sets are being given to the parents to hold until the respective graduations (I'm 81). Along the way I got very interested in the history of Sheaffer and the various models from over 1914-1955. And yes, ended up with several that will remain in my "collection": a couple nice black chased hard rubber, several lovely ring-top incl 3 gold filled, a variety of Balances in several sizes, one vacuum-fill, and several nice examples of Touchdowns and Snorkels. I currently have six pens inked, 3 small Ring-tops (incl a hard rubber and a gold filled), a nice craftsman, my original Snorkel and a Montblanc 149 given to me in 1985. And yes, I've gotten caught up in inks and papers. Current favorites: Diamine Bilberry and Tomoe River 52g.
    a great new passion ...
    Last edited by NHtopolino; May 17th, 2019 at 12:51 PM.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NHtopolino For This Useful Post:

azkid (May 19th, 2019), countrydirt (May 19th, 2019)