Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 53 of 53

Thread: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

  1. #41
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

    Hi, I'm Dedrix!

    I'm relatively new to the fountain pen obsession. I've started journaling after a long hiatus. I'm finding I love to journal as much as I did many years ago and my fountain pens are making it even more enjoyable. I've started with the Pilot Metropolitan (fine nib) and the Pilot Kakuno (fine nib). I bent the nib on my Kakuno and managed to straighten it; however, it is a bit scratchy. Any help here would be appreciated (I'd rather experiment on more inexpensive pens). I've tried a few Chinese pens and have found that they are nice but do not have the same smoothness as the Pilot pens. I have a Pilot Prera that should be arriving in a few days, so it'll be nice to see if it is as nice as the Metropolitan. My fantasy pens are the Pilot Custom 74 and the Pilot Vanishing Point. I'd also like to try the TWSBI eco. I do like the finer nibs of the Japanese pens; however, I still enjoy a buttery smooth writing experience. If you all have any suggestions, I'd be willing to listen. My journal of choice is a Moleskin XL. I'd be willing to try out other papers as I'm really enjoying my writing experience. Suggestions would be appreciated.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dedrix For This Useful Post:

    calamus (March 17th, 2019), Cyril (March 17th, 2019)

  3. #42
    Senior Member calamus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Redwoods Rainforest
    Posts
    546
    Thanks
    407
    Thanked 372 Times in 195 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dedrix View Post
    Hi, I'm Dedrix!

    I'm relatively new to the fountain pen obsession. I've started journaling after a long hiatus. I'm finding I love to journal as much as I did many years ago and my fountain pens are making it even more enjoyable. I've started with the Pilot Metropolitan (fine nib) and the Pilot Kakuno (fine nib). I bent the nib on my Kakuno and managed to straighten it; however, it is a bit scratchy. Any help here would be appreciated (I'd rather experiment on more inexpensive pens). I've tried a few Chinese pens and have found that they are nice but do not have the same smoothness as the Pilot pens. I have a Pilot Prera that should be arriving in a few days, so it'll be nice to see if it is as nice as the Metropolitan. My fantasy pens are the Pilot Custom 74 and the Pilot Vanishing Point. I'd also like to try the TWSBI eco. I do like the finer nibs of the Japanese pens; however, I still enjoy a buttery smooth writing experience. If you all have any suggestions, I'd be willing to listen. My journal of choice is a Moleskin XL. I'd be willing to try out other papers as I'm really enjoying my writing experience. Suggestions would be appreciated.
    Your journey is starting off a lot like mine (and many other people's) did. The Pilot Metropolitan seems to be the gateway drug of choice. From there it's a short step to the Prera (I'm sure you'll love yours as much as I love mine). Eventually I developed a more serious dependency. The Custom 74 is nice, but not nearly as elegant-looking as my Sailor 1911. The Custom 823, however, has been winking at me. But it was the discovery of German nibs that upped the ante. After buying a Lamy and a Nemosine, I was hooked. At the moment I have a Pelikan on the way. You want a suggestion? Right now Birmingham Pen Company has Nemosine Singularities on sale for $14.99. Amazing writers. Buttery. Smooth.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

  4. #43
    Senior Member calamus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Redwoods Rainforest
    Posts
    546
    Thanks
    407
    Thanked 372 Times in 195 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    I already have about 1/2 Kg of vintage dip pens nibs


    You sound like you're having way too much fun!
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

    Cyril (March 17th, 2019)

  6. #44
    Senior Member azkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    858
    Thanks
    1,414
    Thanked 707 Times in 330 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

    Dedrix, I had the same mishap with a Metropolitan. It turns out Wing Sung makes clone Pilot nibs that will interchange.

    They have their own 'feel' but I find them to be very nice writers in their own right.

    If you would like me to ship you one of my many extra Wing Sung nibs (as a pay it forward) let me know. Just send me a private message.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

    calamus (March 17th, 2019)

  8. #45
    Senior Member azkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    858
    Thanks
    1,414
    Thanked 707 Times in 330 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

    Cyril, I would love to see your drawings. I bet others would to. If you would indulge us we have a few threads going with people showing off their artwork.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

    calamus (March 17th, 2019), Cyril (March 17th, 2019)

  10. #46
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

    Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedrix View Post
    Hi, I'm Dedrix!

    I'm relatively new to the fountain pen obsession. I've started journaling after a long hiatus. I'm finding I love to journal as much as I did many years ago and my fountain pens are making it even more enjoyable. I've started with the Pilot Metropolitan (fine nib) and the Pilot Kakuno (fine nib). I bent the nib on my Kakuno and managed to straighten it; however, it is a bit scratchy. Any help here would be appreciated (I'd rather experiment on more inexpensive pens). I've tried a few Chinese pens and have found that they are nice but do not have the same smoothness as the Pilot pens. I have a Pilot Prera that should be arriving in a few days, so it'll be nice to see if it is as nice as the Metropolitan. My fantasy pens are the Pilot Custom 74 and the Pilot Vanishing Point. I'd also like to try the TWSBI eco. I do like the finer nibs of the Japanese pens; however, I still enjoy a buttery smooth writing experience. If you all have any suggestions, I'd be willing to listen. My journal of choice is a Moleskin XL. I'd be willing to try out other papers as I'm really enjoying my writing experience. Suggestions would be appreciated.
    Your journey is starting off a lot like mine (and many other people's) did. The Pilot Metropolitan seems to be the gateway drug of choice. From there it's a short step to the Prera (I'm sure you'll love yours as much as I love mine). Eventually I developed a more serious dependency. The Custom 74 is nice, but not nearly as elegant-looking as my Sailor 1911. The Custom 823, however, has been winking at me. But it was the discovery of German nibs that upped the ante. After buying a Lamy and a Nemosine, I was hooked. At the moment I have a Pelikan on the way. You want a suggestion? Right now Birmingham Pen Company has Nemosine Singularities on sale for $14.99. Amazing writers. Buttery. Smooth.
    Thank you for the warm welcome. Now I have the Singularity on the way. I'm sure I'll have fun trying it out. Thank you for the suggestions. I have quite a few pens to research and fall in love with now!

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dedrix For This Useful Post:

    azkid (March 16th, 2019), calamus (March 17th, 2019)

  12. #47
    Senior Member Cyril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    152
    Thanks
    309
    Thanked 61 Times in 39 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

    Calamus,
    Agree and I must confess It is way too much, These nibs are wonderful to see and I am trying some nibs removing the original coating then they loose the original value.
    But I don't care. Some nibs are turning in to a category LABELED CALLED COLLECTION. It happened in time as I found very original shapes and designed. Really it is a great thing to know about how the history evolved through the period and we end up using Ball point pen massly

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cyril For This Useful Post:

    calamus (March 17th, 2019)

  14. #48
    Senior Member calamus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Redwoods Rainforest
    Posts
    546
    Thanks
    407
    Thanked 372 Times in 195 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Calamus,
    Agree and I must confess It is way too much, These nibs are wonderful to see and I am trying some nibs removing the original coating then they loose the original value.
    But I don't care. Some nibs are turning in to a category LABELED CALLED COLLECTION. It happened in time as I found very original shapes and designed. Really it is a great thing to know about how the history evolved through the period and we end up using Ball point pen massly
    I would love to see some photographs of the nibs. I'm sure other people would too. I have a few vintage nibs that I've acquired and which I use, including come Macniven and Cameron Waverly nibs. I also have some Gillotts (including a few Principalities) that I'll be using once I learn engrosser's script.

    And do please show us some of your drawings!
    Last edited by calamus; March 17th, 2019 at 09:45 PM.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

  15. #49
    Senior Member calamus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Redwoods Rainforest
    Posts
    546
    Thanks
    407
    Thanked 372 Times in 195 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dedrix View Post
    Thank you for the warm welcome. Now I have the Singularity on the way. I'm sure I'll have fun trying it out. Thank you for the suggestions. I have quite a few pens to research and fall in love with now!
    That's great. Let us know how you like it. I find that mine (I got an M) writes as well as some of my gold-nibbed pens. It really surprised me.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

  16. #50
    Senior Member Cyril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    152
    Thanks
    309
    Thanked 61 Times in 39 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

    Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Calamus,
    Agree and I must confess It is way too much, These nibs are wonderful to see and I am trying some nibs removing the original coating then they loose the original value.
    But I don't care. Some nibs are turning in to a category LABELED CALLED COLLECTION. It happened in time as I found very original shapes and designed. Really it is a great thing to know about how the history evolved through the period and we end up using Ball point pen massly
    I would love to see some photographs of the nibs. I'm sure other people would too. I have a few vintage nibs that I've acquired and which I use, including come Macniven and Cameron Waverly nibs. I also have some Gillotts (including a few Principalities) that I'll be
    using once I learn engrosser's script.



    And do please show us some of your drawings!

    Hi Calamus, I will post some picturs of my nibs and perhaps the pen holders that I am using and trying those Vintage nibs. My collection labled nibs are not yet used as I have catagarised them as unusual nibs. They have different shapes and special designed imprints and looks very old.

  17. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Dallas, as in the 80's TV Series
    Posts
    2,193
    Thanks
    1,503
    Thanked 2,597 Times in 951 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

    Let's give this thread a bump to hear from some of our newer members.
    - Will
    Sketches with restored vintage fountain pens: Redeem Pens

  18. #52
    Junior Member Jessi.Scribbles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Northern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

    I'm rather new to Fountain Pens. I have a Lamy Al Star that sits in a drawer unused but I keep it for sentimental reasons. I hated it so much I used it for a few months gave up and didn't touch a fountain pen for two years. I got the itch again but decided to try again, bought a TWSBI 580 (medium) in a size up nib from my Lamy (fine) and I fell down the rabbit hole and haven't looked back. For my upcoming graduation the beau gifted me a Sailor Pro Gear Slim in Purple Cosmos then conveniently our three year anniversary fell at the end of this month and he also gifted me an Edison Nouveau Premiere Trunk Bay. I have five pens now and I'm still learning about what I like and don't like. The new Pelikan M600 Violet-White looks beautiful and I tried talking myself out of it everyday since it came out, so out of my budget. I love my Sailor but I'm finding it difficult to find online in a zoom nib.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    -- Jessi

  19. #53
    Senior Member Deb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Highlands of Scotland
    Posts
    899
    Thanks
    507
    Thanked 850 Times in 392 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

    I agree with you, both about the Al Star and the Pro Gear Slim which is one of my favourite modern pens.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog
    My Pen Sales

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •