Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,131 Times in 514 Posts

Default Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

Quote Originally Posted by solarossa View Post
    Hi, I've gotten as far as I could go with ballpoint pens and wanted to get more pens but couldn't find much more variety. That's when I started looking into fountain pens earlier this year. I started with a Metropolitan and have acquired a Jotter, TWSBI Eco, and Safari since then. These are pretty much the popular starter pens. As one would expect, the want for more pens never ends.

I had been saving up for a Montblanc and when it came to pull the trigger on one, I just couldn't justify the price in my head anymore. I instead decided to purchase a Lamy 2000, Diplomat Aero, Kaweco Sport Brass, Apache Sunset and Ancient Copper inks, and some journals. All of that was still less than a Montblanc and I feel way better about the purchase. Now I'm back trying to save...
    Welcome to the hobby! Before you start to buy more pens I would recommend you take your time and give the pens you have some continued use so you get a sense of what you like and what you don't like about them. For example, a TWSBI Eco and a Safari have quite forgiving nibs which are excellent for users that have just arrived from the ballpoint world. The Lamy 2000 is quite another animal in its own class by itself. Many first time L2K users complain about a "sweet spot" issue when the fact is that the nib is cut in a different way than a Safari or an Eco. Take your time. Get the feel of it. You won't regret it.

As far as the inks are concerned be aware that ink samples are the way to go.

Thanks

Default Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

I completely understand your perspective. My fountain pen journey will be long and it will be expensive. Whenever I get into a new hobby or interest, I tend to go all in.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tscweaves View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    Last week my mom gifted me with my dad's Sheaffer pen set that he received in 1948. The pen needed a little work, so I sent it off to Gerry Berg. I came back home yesterday and it is so pretty. It is a Sheaffer Triumph Sentinel with pencil, and it is lovely to use.

I have started journaling, working on my cursive handwriting, and attempting to keep an ink journal. I am still trying to figure out what inks work in what pen with what nib on what paper! Sometimes I am better at taking notes than other times:-)
    You are very lucky to have been given a pen with so much history and meaning.

As far as figuring out the best pen/ink/paper combo..... enjoy the ride!
    I agree, I am thrilled to have the pen and pencil. I have always preferred mechanical pencils, I have a bunch of cheapy ones. It is so nice to have a fine quality pen & pencil to use daily and the added bonus that is was my dad's who received the set from his parents. I have an affinity for generational items that can still be used.
    Since you like mechanical pencils, Autopoint produced a very quality product. A person who wrote a book on Autopoint history said "the most rare Autopoint is one that doesn't work". Vintage 1.1mm lead is readily available and the cost minimal. I pair my Autopoints with my fountain pens everyday. These vintage pencils use .9 mm or 1.1 mm lead. My oldest one is from 1927 and performs flawlessly.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,239 Times in 1,173 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Land Cruiser View Post
    I will play. Always liked FPs, played with them when I was little (before knowing how to write). Recently took up writing as form of meditation and turned up level of activity around my pens.
    Well played!

For me, sketching is the meditative activity that I can focus on using my fountain pens.
    That and repairing broken vintage pens.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    Last week my mom gifted me with my dad's Sheaffer pen set that he received in 1948. The pen needed a little work, so I sent it off to Gerry Berg. I came back home yesterday and it is so pretty. It is a Sheaffer Triumph Sentinel with pencil, and it is lovely to use.

I have started journaling, working on my cursive handwriting, and attempting to keep an ink journal. I am still trying to figure out what inks work in what pen with what nib on what paper! Sometimes I am better at taking notes than other times:-)

I agree, I am thrilled to have the pen and pencil. I have always preferred mechanical pencils, I have a bunch of cheapy ones. It is so nice to have a fine quality pen & pencil to use daily and the added bonus that is was my dad's who received the set from his parents. I have an affinity for generational items that can still be used.
    Since you like mechanical pencils, Autopoint produced a very quality product. A person who wrote a book on Autopoint history said "the most rare Autopoint is one that doesn't work". Vintage 1.1mm lead is readily available and the cost minimal. I pair my Autopoints with my fountain pens everyday. These vintage pencils use .9 mm or 1.1 mm lead. My oldest one is from 1927 and performs flawlessly.
    I was going through my mechanical pencils last night. I had gathered them up from their scattered locations throughout my house to document what I have and what size lead they take. Other than my dad's Sheaffer, the oldest are from the 1980's which includes an Autopoint that uses 1.1mm lead. The other 4 older pencils are different models of Pentel drafting pencils. The only problem with any of these pencils is that I have lost the cap off of the end of a Pentel Sharp PS350. I never realized that there was a mechanical pencil following, I have just always used them😃

Thanks

have been here a few weeks and all is good and people have been helpful.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Land Cruiser View Post
    I will play. Always liked FPs, played with them when I was little (before knowing how to write). Recently took up writing as form of meditation and turned up level of activity around my pens.
    Well played!

For me, sketching is the meditative activity that I can focus on using my fountain pens.
    That and repairing broken vintage pens.
    Thank you! I may look into it as a future past time It seems fitting for winter nights.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post

I was going through my mechanical pencils last night. I had gathered them up from their scattered locations throughout my house to document what I have and what size lead they take. Other than my dad's Sheaffer, the oldest are from the 1980's which includes an Autopoint that uses 1.1mm lead. The other 4 older pencils are different models of Pentel drafting pencils. The only problem with any of these pencils is that I have lost the cap off of the end of a Pentel Sharp PS350. I never realized that there was a mechanical pencil following, I have just always used them😃
    My eldest prefers pencils which inspired me to send her a few. This started me on the Autopoint path. My father worked for the old Southern Bell Telephone company which bought millions of pencils including Mark Sense pencils with lead used for IBM punch card technology. I found a similar dark soft lead from Legendary Lead called Wet Noodles. https://www.legendaryleadcompany.com/

If I can help you with Autopoints, let me know. They all use the same piston lead advance. Autopoint advances the lead but does not retract. You just twist to the left and push the lead down.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,513 Times in 698 Posts

Spent a bit of time last year searching for a Skilcraft pencil. The one with red lead at one end and black at the other. Apparently the older models had a sturdier clip, and I was hoping to find one in excellent condition with the "US Government" wording. No luck, but I did have an entertaining time looking at some of the advertising pencils.
    The thing is, we're all pretty on edge at the moment. It would be great if people could be considerate of others in these matters. Not much else will change the situation beyond that. - Jon Szanto

Why canít people read responses to glean the intent and ideas being offered, instead of focusing on things like tone, length and perceived agendas? - Jon Szanto

Thanks

My Autopoint works great, but thanks formthe offer of assistance😃

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Spent a bit of time last year searching for a Skilcraft pencil. The one with red lead at one end and black at the other. Apparently the older models had a sturdier clip, and I was hoping to find one in excellent condition with the "US Government" wording. No luck, but I did have an entertaining time looking at some of the advertising pencils.
    Autopoint made that two end pencil. There are plenty for sale on eBay.

Thanks

I have one of those Autopoints's as well, with blue & red lead. I know it is somewhere in the house, and I swear I just saw it in the last couple of weeks but darn if I can get my hands on it!