Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

Thanks

Default Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    This is a thread for those of us who just joined the forum.
    We see new members often, but we rarely hear from them again apart from the Hello post.

Share your FP happenings in the last 2 months since you last joined this forum.
    Things like:

1. New pen, ink, notebook.
    2. New things learned since.
    3. New restoration story, if you're into that.
    4. New dream pen(s).
    5. Anything else FP related.

If nothing, say hi again, glad to hear back from you
    "Hi again!"

I began my journey just a little over a month ago. I started (geez this sounds like a confession) with one Lamy Safari, charcoal, with a fine nib, along with 5 black Lamy ink cartridges and a generic notebook, size A5, I believe. Since then I've bought three other Lamy Safari pens, all with fine nibs, I got two 1.5mm nibs, four bottles of ink (three from Pilot, one from Lamy), a bunch of converters, some Mr. Pen notepads, and a couple more of the generic notebooks. I've made some posts here, including some in the "handwritten only" thread. I've not posted for a couple weeks, but I wanted to post tonight.

My journey is going well! For me, I look at fountain pens from a practical perspective. When I started, I was having trouble writing with the Safari. I found I am forced to hold the pen a certain way, and am forced to write a certain way, too; otherwise I get dropouts. I relearned writing. In fact my first two Lamys, Charcoal/Fine/black and White/1.5mm/red, have helped me make my writing better. I understand that a fountain pen won't improve one's writing. I simply found that if I wanted to use these instruments I'd have to learn how to write with them. I then chose to write with a little more care. Ultimately these need to be working pens that I use daily. If I don't do that, if I don't use them, what's the point?

For dream pens, these are my dream pens for now. They're attractive. They seem to be very functional. They're tough. They're reliable. In my inexperienced ways, I'm not likely to damage a steel nib in the way I might damage a gold nib. They're relatively inexpensive. The inks I can get for them are wonderful! I'd be interested to try a Mont Blanc fountain pen at some time. I'd received a Mont Blanc ballpoint pen many years ago and I use it, but I'd certainly be happy to try a Meisterstück Gold Classique, not that I've looked, of course.
    mathogre, aka The Mathemagician

https://www.grahamglover.com

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mathogre For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (April 30th, 2021)

Thanks

Default Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

We see new members often, but we rarely hear from them again apart from the Hello post.

Things like:

4. New dream pen(s).

I think it’s been less than 2 months since I joined. The amount of pens I have has doubled. I got over my whole thing about never being nuts enough to spend over $75 on a pen real fast. I learned that is “okay” to spend even $300, that no one here will judge me for it. I’ve gotten a lot of info about paper and am currently loving the Endless Recorder notebooks. No vintage pens yet, but I’ve been casually looking online and admiring the vintage pens posted here, and even took a walk down Main St in my town last weekend and checked every antique store....no luck yet. Even if I do decide to buy vintage, likely I will choose a pen that someone else has already restored. A new dream pen would probably be (maybe) an Aurora. Possibly one of the more pricey Pelikans. Not sure yet. I’ve been careful not to buy too impulsively, to do some research first, so I still have some thinking to do.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Igraine For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (April 30th, 2021), Ole Juul (May 2nd, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Igraine View Post

Things like:

4. New dream pen(s).

I think it’s been less than 2 months since I joined. The amount of pens I have has doubled. I got over my whole thing about never being nuts enough to spend over $75 on a pen real fast. I learned that is “okay” to spend even $300, that no one here will judge me for it. I’ve gotten a lot of info about paper and am currently loving the Endless Recorder notebooks. No vintage pens yet, but I’ve been casually looking online and admiring the vintage pens posted here, and even took a walk down Main St in my town last weekend and checked every antique store....no luck yet. Even if I do decide to buy vintage, likely I will choose a pen that someone else has already restored. A new dream pen would probably be (maybe) an Aurora. Possibly one of the more pricey Pelikans. Not sure yet. I’ve been careful not to buy too impulsively, to do some research first, so I still have some thinking to do.
    Your comment about how fast we suddenly were "Okay" with spending an amount of money that we never thought reasonable before struck a nerve with me.

I remember walking out of my first pen show not long after I dove headfirst into this hobby, holding a $147 Franklin-Cristoph pen. Part of me was so surprised and appalled, but the other part can't stop looking and using it.

And then, soon after that, I went into vintage and never looked back (well, occasionally I get myself a modern pen, I'm not all "stone-heart" with them, ya know).
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

Things like:

4. New dream pen(s).

Your comment about how fast we suddenly were "Okay" with spending an amount of money that we never thought reasonable before struck a nerve with me.

I remember walking out of my first pen show not long after I dove headfirst into this hobby, holding a $147 Franklin-Cristoph pen. Part of me was so surprised and appalled, but the other part can't stop looking and using it.

And then, soon after that, I went into vintage and never looked back (well, occasionally I get myself a modern pen, I'm not all "stone-heart" with them, ya know).
    The turning point for me was a Sailor Pro Gear that I found for $95, which at the time was still a ridiculous amount, from the moment I used it, it was like “oooohhhhh....yes!” I remember looking at the Franklin Christoph website and thinking to myself, “but they aren’t even gold, what the...?” I now have two. (Love their pens, waiting for “Sex and Candy”) .....but vintage scares me. A rabbit hole is one thing - vintage seems like it might be more like teetering on the edge of the Grand Canyon.

Thanks

Things like:

4. New dream pen(s).

The turning point for me was a Sailor Pro Gear that I found for $95, which at the time was still a ridiculous amount, from the moment I used it, it was like “oooohhhhh....yes!” I remember looking at the Franklin Christoph website and thinking to myself, “but they aren’t even gold, what the...?” I now have two. (Love their pens, waiting for “Sex and Candy”) .....but vintage scares me. A rabbit hole is one thing - vintage seems like it might be more like teetering on the edge of the Grand Canyon.
    You have a way with words. I find myself nodding with your statement (bolded) above.

With vintage, the most useful approach is an open mind, and research far and wide before making your first purchase.

Fortunately, this forum is not lacking of members who have extensive knowledge about vintage pens. A few are active, some are watching from the shadows (I mean this in the non-creepy way). So ask away.
    - Will

Thanks

Things like:

4. New dream pen(s).

You have a way with words. I find myself nodding with your statement (bolded) above.

With vintage, the most useful approach is an open mind, and research far and wide before making your first purchase.

Fortunately, this forum is not lacking of members who have extensive knowledge about vintage pens. A few are active, some are watching from the shadows (I mean this in the non-creepy way). So ask away.
    Yes, it’s great to have so many knowledgeable people here! The way I see it is sort of how when I decided to buy my first pen. I knew nothing, and had no idea where to start, outside of watching a lot of YouTube videos...which were definitely helpful. I was “cheap” at first, and thought one pen would be enough, maybe two...ha! Now that I have a better grasp on what’s out there in my current price range ($300 or less) and with a little bit of knowledge about the pens over my current price range, I feel a little more secure in deciding. I mean, there is only X-number of new pens out there - but when you consider vintage, now we have decades of pens. I have no idea where to start, what I would like, what would work for me! Finding an old pen and fixing it up doesn’t appeal to me. I’m still paranoid about taking my Pilot 823 apart just to clean it, no way do I want to get involved in restoration! So I’m not sure yet about vintage pens...I’m keeping an eye out for them when shopping/browsing in person, so we will see.

Thanks

I mean, there is only X-number of new pens out there - but when you consider vintage, now we have decades of pens. I have no idea where to start, what I would like, what would work for me! Finding an old pen and fixing it up doesn’t appeal to me. I’m still paranoid about taking my Pilot 823 apart just to clean it, no way do I want to get involved in restoration! So I’m not sure yet about vintage pens...I’m keeping an eye out for them when shopping/browsing in person, so we will see.
    Let's break it down to a byte-sized steps:

Where to start? Start by looking at a lot of vintage pen photos. When you've seen enough, you'd start to be able to not only discern which one is which, but your appreciation will increase also. Years ago, I was pulled into this hobby from looking at pages after pages of FP photos, and discover that I can't stop looking at them, and want to find more. Same thing with vintage pens, only more interesting because of the historical aspect.

What would you like? This one should be taken care of by the above.

What would work for you? Now this one is interesting. An open mind is helpful here, in the beginning, before I know enough about them, I was always surprised at liking a vintage pen that at first I thought I'd hate. In the end, I like small ones, big ones, short, long, chunky, slim-ish, all kinds, really, because they all have their own charm.

I am way more picky when it comes to quality. A this point, I won't even bother to restore vintage pens that were not build well (and there are a lot out there).

Some people are picky about brands and only want to collect popular ones, I am quite the opposite, the more obscure (or no brand at all) a vintage pen, the more interesting it is for me, *IF* they are well made.

So take your time, carve your own way into the vintage side.
    No one is hurrying you, and there's plenty of fascinating ones to discover.
    - Will

Thanks

Thank you, great tips. I had planned on getting up early last Thursday and going to a local flea market (Thursday’s are their vintage/antique day) but....I work nights, and making plans to get up early pretty much always fall through. A better plan would be another and much bigger flea market, on one of my weekends off....it would be a hike, but it also happens to be close to a town where a pen maker (gwpens) has a little store that I’ve wanted to check out. There are also a few towns in my general area that have a lot of antique stores. I like the idea of finding a pen that way.