Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,685 Times in 1,969 Posts

Default For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

This is a thread for those of us who just joined the forum.
    We see new members often, but we rarely hear from them again apart from the Hello post.

Share your FP happenings in the last 2 months since you last joined this forum.
    Things like:

1. New pen, ink, notebook.
    2. New things learned since.
    3. New restoration story, if you're into that.
    4. New dream pen(s).
    5. Anything else FP related.

If nothing, say hi again, glad to hear back from you
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

azkid (February 22nd, 2019), carlos.q (February 22nd, 2019), catbert (February 22nd, 2019), Cyril (March 16th, 2019), ethernautrix (February 24th, 2019), innerlight (March 3rd, 2019), Kaputnik (February 23rd, 2019), Marsilius (March 2nd, 2019), Sailor Kenshin (February 22nd, 2019), VertOlive (February 24th, 2019)

Thanks

Default Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

Bump. This is worrisome because it could mean that no new members stick around.
    - Will

Thanks

Default Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

Well I just joined, since 10 Minutes ago, all is good

But seriously, I've got a bunch of pens waiting for me in the Post office (I'm on holidays and ask them to hold any packages).
    Very much looking forward to inking them up and trying them out.
    Also, I'm waiting for some inks from Troublemaker Inks, very curious how they hold up. But once they ship from the Philippines, it will still take some time to arrive.

And I've discovered some auction sites (Ebay etc.), that could turn out an expensive discovery
    Found one or two steels, so it's working out well so far (original ROtring 600 in good condition etc.).

Ah, and I've got a Namisu Nova Prototype in Matte Black. Very much enjoying that one.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bebox For This Useful Post:

azkid (February 26th, 2019), Marsilius (March 2nd, 2019), penwash (February 24th, 2019), Viktaurian (May 19th, 2019)

Thanks

Hello Penwash & all,

I joined a month ago, and continue to enjoy the forum. The pen habit is getting a bit expensive, as we all know.

My latest arrival is a pen with barrel & cap turned from horn, bought from Clyde Pen Co via Etsy. By coincidence, it arrived the day after I visited York for their Jorvik Viking festival where I bought myself a horn tankard. The festival is amazing if you are at all interested in things Viking. I haven't tried writing with the horn pen yet, it has joined the queue with the other pens.

Currently I am resisting ordering a Conid pen, which is the dream pen of the moment. They seem a lot of money for a plastic pen with a standard nib, but the filling mechanism fascinates me. I keep checking the piggy bank for funds. If I do buy one it will have to be before the end of March, as I don't want to get involved in importing from foreign countries after Br*x*t.

Onwards and upwards...

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RWS For This Useful Post:

azkid (February 26th, 2019), Kaputnik (February 23rd, 2019), Marsilius (March 2nd, 2019), penwash (February 24th, 2019)

Thanks

Hi,
    I just joined.
    I have a few pens, a couple of parker jotters, figured i'd start cheap.... well that escalated!
    I have a Cros ATX (bought several years ago)
    Another Cross - unidentified - i'm making another post about trying to get someone to help work out what it is!
    So, recent acquisitions:
    Cross Zodiac year of the Horse edition
    Cross Century II in plumb lacquer
    and a cheeky eBay purchase of a Mont Blanc slimline 80's model
    i've got a few bottles of the special J Herbin 1670 & 1798 inks
    this is an expensive hobby!
    Quite fancy a new Mont Blanc Meisterstuck but they're a lot of money for essentially a plastic pen - I have a habit of dropping things!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PenNerd12 For This Useful Post:

azkid (February 26th, 2019), Marsilius (March 2nd, 2019), penwash (February 24th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RWS View Post
    Currently I am resisting ordering a Conid pen, which is the dream pen of the moment. They seem a lot of money for a plastic pen with a standard nib, but the filling mechanism fascinates me.
    You know what, I am in the minority here because most people went gaga over the Conid. I've held it, written with it, I don't feel the connection. Though I admire its designer Mr. Goosens whom I consider to be one of the FP geniuses of our time. But the pen itself feels ... bland to me (speaking for no one else).
    If I want a syringe filler, I might as well order a custom-made one from Shawn Newton in my favorite pen material: Woodgrain Ebonite. I'd probably pay less than a Conid whose price is also a tad too high for me even if I liked the pen.
    Last edited by penwash; February 24th, 2019 at 12:59 PM.
    - Will

11. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

RWS (February 25th, 2019)

Thanks

Hi all,

I joined a month ago and, although I’ve been reading the forum for some time, I haven’t been able to write anything yet. So, a good chance to say hi.

In the past months I’ve continued working on my Parker collection. I was able to buy a Parker 180, a 25 MK1 and a 15 with James Dean signature. This kept me busy until today. Here is a small pic.

cf115a7d-b8f1-4b6f-8f6d-8db0ffbad999.jpg

I hope I will be able to write more in the forum.

All the best

Tony

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Montanez For This Useful Post:

azkid (February 26th, 2019), Cyril (March 16th, 2019), Marsilius (March 2nd, 2019), penwash (February 24th, 2019), Sailor Kenshin (February 25th, 2019), VertOlive (February 24th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 237 Posts

That is a fascinating-looking nib on the 180.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Voiren View Post
    That is a fascinating-looking nib on the 180.
    Fascinating is one word for it. I think weird and I just don't get it.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

The green P25 is a rare colour, most are blue or black. Also in the UK the gold Insignia? P180 is unusual. My P180 is a stainless steel Flighter model which was much more common in the day. The nib is made so that you can write either way up to get 2 different line thicknesses. It seems to work, despite the strange appearance. Mine is M/F, but I recall other widths available as well.

An impressive set of pens.

Thanks

Default For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

My 180 is Medium / XFine. The difference in the lines are not as evident but you can really feel the nib more scratchy on the XF side. A really nice Pens I must say.

IMG_0566.jpg

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Montanez For This Useful Post:

azkid (February 26th, 2019), penwash (February 25th, 2019), RWS (February 25th, 2019)

Thanks

Been here about nearly a month or so. At present own two pens (L2K and Pilot Decimo) as noted on my intro back at the beginning of Feb.

So, what is this "journey" of which you speak? Is there a direction one should be heading? My interest is primarily in words, how to use them, how to write them. Two pens suffice for this task for now - one for black, one for red or blue.

Here's a question for word people.

If the "p" in Pterodactyl is silent - ptero meaning wing and dactyl meaning finger - why is the "p" not silent in hymenoptera? - hymen meaning membrane and again ptera meaning wing.

It is entirely possible that the "p" should be silent in both and that I've been misled by biologists on the pronunciation of the second example over all these years!

Aragorn to the King Under the Mountain: "What say you?"

Edit: woohoo! 10 posts!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave For This Useful Post:

azkid (February 26th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Been here about nearly a month or so. At present own two pens (L2K and Pilot Decimo) as noted on my intro back at the beginning of Feb.

So, what is this "journey" of which you speak? Is there a direction one should be heading? My interest is primarily in words, how to use them, how to write them. Two pens suffice for this task for now - one for black, one for red or blue.
    Glad to hear from you.

The "journey" of which I am speaking is a way for me to relate to this hobby.
    I started my journey with zero knowledge about the various fountain pens (both contemporarily-made and vintage ones that went back a century or so). As I progress, I accumulated not only knowledge about pens, but I find that I also like bringing back broken, forgotten pens back into life, so people like you could write words with them once more.

But not only that, I also gathered connection with some people, a few became my good friends. Now that's a fun journey if there was ever one

So feel free to define your own "journey" in this hobby, looks like you've found your direction already.
    Last edited by penwash; March 1st, 2019 at 08:43 AM.
    - Will

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

azkid (February 26th, 2019), Cyril (March 16th, 2019)

Thanks

Weekend bump. I really enjoy hearing from our new members. Keep it coming.
    - Will

24. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

azkid (March 1st, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

I enjoy hearing from our new members too.

Thanks

My account is older than 60 days but I suppose my limited posting makes me look like a lapsed user - but I'm here everyday browsing and taking in things, just not posting

You more active posters are way too efficient , the answer to my many queries can often be found already posted here - So thanks to everyone

My own collection has expanded to 100+ pens (vintage and new) and almost as many inks

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChrisJ For This Useful Post:

azkid (March 2nd, 2019), penwash (March 3rd, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,418 Posts

Wow, Chris, with so many pens and inks, you no doubt know a lot of answers too!

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Wow cool. Sure would love to see pics

I keep expanding inks faster than I can use them. I am going to try to stick to samples more. Right after I get that one ink... and maybe the other one...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJ View Post
    My account is older than 60 days but I suppose my limited posting makes me look like a lapsed user - but I'm here everyday browsing and taking in things, just not posting

You more active posters are way too efficient , the answer to my many queries can often be found already posted here - So thanks to everyone

My own collection has expanded to 100+ pens (vintage and new) and almost as many inks
    Who cares about the 60 days limit, I just had to put something on the title

I'm glad that you're getting some help from this forum, please consider posting more about your journey. See, if enough members post about their adventures, it will build up the forum in the way that is incredible because most of our experiences are different and we all learn from those different experiences.

100+ pens, wow! If I don't count my pen inventory, I don't have that many in my personal collection.
    - Will

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    em, how to write them. Two pens suffice for this task for now - one for black, one for red or blue.

Here's a question for word people.

If the "p" in Pterodactyl is silent - ptero meaning wing and dactyl meaning finger - why is the "p" not silent in hymenoptera? - hymen meaning membrane and again ptera meaning wing.

It is entirely possible that the "p" should be silent in both and that I've been misled by biologists on the pronunciation of the second example over all these years!
    Do you mean you DON'T sound the P in Pterodactyl?
    Seriously there is some rule of linguistics where consonances before consonances tend to disappear. But then recently I hear of a pattern where people tend to add a "G" sound before a "W". (I used to think that "War" was "Guerra" minus the G, and that "William" was "Guillaume" minus the G, but was told that the G was actually added. Same as in Ward/Guard, Wardrobe/Garderobe, Guaranty/Warranty, etc.).

And who knew that Boulevard and Bulwark are related words . . .

And "mean" is a corruption of "median" and they used to pronounce both vowels as in a diphthong (Try pronouncing all the sounds in that word) . . .
    Fortibus es in ero

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marsilius For This Useful Post:

azkid (March 2nd, 2019), FreeLance (May 5th, 2019)