Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

Thanks

Default Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

Aloha,

It's been about 6 months for me now - a bit longer if you count my first experiments with an Amazon Basics FP. I now have 7 pens and 14 inks and feel that's a pretty good range of pens to explore right now. That doesn't mean I don't have thought of what might be next, though. I find I like the community here and many of the pen reviewer/youtubers are quite interesting, so I enjoy learning more that way. I feel that's probably too many inks, but I enjoy trying to match/complement pen and ink and my first choice doesn't always work out the way I hoped.

I have two large pens (a Momento Zero Grande and Etruruia Magnifica) that I find I really like. I wouldn't have known about larger pens had I a) not watched a bunch of videos and b) taken a leap and ordered one. I love both the ones I have. I think there's a place for smaller pens, too. It's really about how the feel in the hand and the sensation I have holding them, working with them, feeling and seeing them.

My handwriting is terrible (it's been so all my life) but I've taken up the American Cursive Handwriting text and am working through it. I think I've gotten better, but I still wonder if I can ever get that neat, beautiful writing I admire. It's been a nice spin-off of the FP hobby to try and improve something that's been in need all my life!

1. New pen, ink, notebook - latest purchase was the Stipula Etruria Magnifica Miele Selvetico and three Akkerman inks still in the mail. I also got a 5- year journal I started last month.
    4. New dream pen(s) - I really like the looks of the Eboya 2019 special edition Matcha Hakobune pen that's no longer available. My MZ Grande is also Japanese ebonite, and I'm wondering if that's part of the reason I like it so much.

Thanks for the interesting forum and for supporting us newbies.

-scot

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AlohaPens For This Useful Post:

penwash (August 5th, 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

That 74 looks nice. Good writer?
    I was getting shading from this Iroshizuku Asa-Gao that I didn't get in broader nibs, and it was fairly amazing to see. One hitch I did experience was an air bubble in the CON-70 that starved the feed. A short downward thrust to settle the ink back down on the feed seemed to fix it, though it took a while to start feeding again. That was my first inking. I still have the cartridge that came with it, and a bottle of Pilot Blue-Black on the way. I'll see how it does with those inks.

Very fine nib (as expected), but noticeably smoother than the Pilot Metropolitan (f) I have.

I'd love to see how 54th Massachusetts does in the Custom 74, but I'm worried I won't be able to clean it properly. That ink has been fine in the Metropolitan so far, and a CON-40 empties in a few days, for me. But a CON-70 takes longer for me to empty. I suppose I'd just have to write more.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SlowMovingTarget For This Useful Post:

azkid (August 6th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Find a plastic pipette with a diameter a little larger than the tube thingy in the CON70. Fill the pipette with water (or cleaning agent of choice), carefully insert the pipette into the converter so it fits over the tube thingy and squeeze the water through. Repeat until clean. The CON70 is really easy to clean.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

SlowMovingTarget (August 5th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,685 Times in 1,969 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaPens View Post
    Aloha,

It's been about 6 months for me now - a bit longer if you count my first experiments with an Amazon Basics FP. I now have 7 pens and 14 inks and feel that's a pretty good range of pens to explore right now. That doesn't mean I don't have thought of what might be next, though. I find I like the community here and many of the pen reviewer/youtubers are quite interesting, so I enjoy learning more that way. I feel that's probably too many inks, but I enjoy trying to match/complement pen and ink and my first choice doesn't always work out the way I hoped.

I have two large pens (a Momento Zero Grande and Etruruia Magnifica) that I find I really like. I wouldn't have known about larger pens had I a) not watched a bunch of videos and b) taken a leap and ordered one. I love both the ones I have. I think there's a place for smaller pens, too. It's really about how the feel in the hand and the sensation I have holding them, working with them, feeling and seeing them.

My handwriting is terrible (it's been so all my life) but I've taken up the American Cursive Handwriting text and am working through it. I think I've gotten better, but I still wonder if I can ever get that neat, beautiful writing I admire. It's been a nice spin-off of the FP hobby to try and improve something that's been in need all my life!

1. New pen, ink, notebook - latest purchase was the Stipula Etruria Magnifica Miele Selvetico and three Akkerman inks still in the mail. I also got a 5- year journal I started last month.
    4. New dream pen(s) - I really like the looks of the Eboya 2019 special edition Matcha Hakobune pen that's no longer available. My MZ Grande is also Japanese ebonite, and I'm wondering if that's part of the reason I like it so much.

Thanks for the interesting forum and for supporting us newbies.

-scot
    It's very nice to hear an account from someone starting out like this.

You have chosen good pens that has a lot of following.

Maybe one day you will be checking out the vintage side. If you think the modern pens are varied and interesting, you'll be amazed with vintage ones.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Con-70: I have one but don't use it due to cleaning and inconvenience. A blunt tip syringe would be good to clean it as well as pipette.

Handwriting: mine was always pretty awful. After I got into FPs I started working on it. Long way to go. Haven't tried a book or course yet. A few online videos. I found drills helpful (loops, waves, C's, etc) and practicing specific letters has been a big help too. Also been working to uncramp my letter spacing which makes it look nicer. Biggest problem now is probably consistent height followed by overall consistency.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

SlowMovingTarget (August 6th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post

Handwriting: mine was always pretty awful. After I got into FPs I started working on it. Long way to go. Haven't tried a book or course yet. A few online videos. I found drills helpful (loops, waves, C's, etc) and practicing specific letters has been a big help too. Also been working to uncramp my letter spacing which makes it look nicer. Biggest problem now is probably consistent height followed by overall consistency.
    I hear you! When I look at my handwriting and try to figure out why it doesn't look good, I think it often boils down to consistency. The consistency of spacing, height, loop sizes, slant. Good handwriting is consistent.

-scot

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaPens View Post

I hear you! When I look at my handwriting and try to figure out why it doesn't look good, I think it often boils down to consistency. The consistency of spacing, height, loop sizes, slant. Good handwriting is consistent.

-scot
    I keep looking at handwriting samples on reddit. What's weird is I feel like pretty handwriting isn't always perfectly consistent (better than mine but...). It seems like a lot of it is proportion. Lowercase height to uppercase. Space between letters vs letter width. Slant consistency seems to matter a lot? Idk, still trying to sort it out...

Thanks

Con-70: I have one but don't use it due to cleaning and inconvenience. A blunt tip syringe would be good to clean it as well as pipette.
    I used the blunt tipped needle and syringe to clean mine. Worked reasonably well. My cleaning concern with the Custom 74 had more to do with that portion of ink left in the section above the feed. Thanks for the insights, though.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SlowMovingTarget For This Useful Post:

azkid (August 6th, 2020)

Thanks

Heya, I just joined recently.
    I was introduced to the world of fountain pens this past May 2020. I don't really remember where I saw one...but it stuck with me. I had been on a journey to find a ballpoint pen to replace the one an ex bought twins of for me and her a lifetime ago that was pure silver. No idea what happened to it over the years and moves...oh well.
    But I thought about the fountain pens more and more as time went by...then I looked them up...THEY'RE AFFORDABLE!
    So I ordered a Silver Hongdian 513 on Amazon. I used the ink cartridges that came with it and was instantly smitten. Of course, looking at youtube videos and perusing the internet led me to finding out about various colored inks so I ordered some "Ken Taur cedar wood scented ink" because I thought it would be cool...bad idea.
    Horrible ink...
    So I researched some more and found out there were other styles! Of course nothing satisfied so I had to build my own and that's how I got here...down the rabbit hole.

Now I'm the owner of a custom made flex-pen and currently waiting on the parts to arrive for another flex-pen build while an FPR Jaipur makes it's way to me in tandem.
    My collection of inks is becoming...interesting. I've created my own inks from Food Dyes successfully with a few recipes for various colors I like (should the inks I like not be affordable or obtainable).
    My next area of adventure will be creating my own nibs from scrap metal and seeing how they work.
    Time will tell...So far, it's been an interesting journey and I've been able to peer-pressure a friend into using fountain pens as well.
    The wife and son wanted one, but never use them....meh, maybe they will in time...who knows.

Thank you to everyone that helped me with info or calmed me down or encouraged me...I appreciate it!!!

Thanks

Wow that's quite a journey down the diy rabbit hole Very cool!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (August 18th, 2020)

Thanks

Wow that's quite a journey down the diy rabbit hole Very cool!
    Thank you! The wife thinks it's a waste of time and money. To a certain extent she may be right...but I like this change in writing implementation and working on the pens is cheaper than working on weapons or music instruments.
    This whole quarantine thing has been a crappy deal, but working on my pens and penmanship has kept me sane during the time indoors. I'm sure I won't find anyone to share this hobby with just like all my other hobbies....but writing is always going to be something I need to do. May as well look great doing it and be more eco-friendly also! Fountain Pens are just the best!!!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Detman101 For This Useful Post:

Ole Juul (August 18th, 2020)

Thanks

Definitely cheaper than firearms! Whenever my wife gives me a hard time I remind her of when I used to collect typewriters.

A person has to have hobbies. At least these are small and can be fairly cheap.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (August 18th, 2020), TFarnon (August 30th, 2020)

Thanks

Definitely cheaper than firearms! Whenever my wife gives me a hard time I remind her of when I used to collect typewriters.

I am sometimes tempted to collect older computers (1970s - Win98, perhaps). But then I remember:

1. What would I do with them, anyway?
    2. Where would I put them? Commodore Pet, IBM PC, and Apple II are not small machines!

At least I can use pens, and I can store them easily enough. (now, inks, otoh. . .)

Thanks

Indeed!
    I think I've met my needs on everything already.
    3 customized pens, 10 inks (when I have all the ones I want)
    I should be good to go for a long time.
    Pretty soon hunting season opens up and I can get back in the woods with my bow.
    Life can get back to normal...I'm so tired of being indoors.

Thanks

Yikes, so true on the old computers. An old Mac would be pretty small, but still... I grew up on a C64, but used PETs at mom's school before that, and actual IBM PCs in HS computer class. Indeed not a lot of truly practical use out of any of them now. At least you're not thinking of collecting old VAX-11 computers like we did in our nerdy college computer club (we had a couple of 780s and a 750, some PDP-11s and other odds and ends). Stock photo below.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

SlowMovingTarget (August 18th, 2020), TFarnon (August 30th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

Yikes, so true on the old computers....

Okay, so it's not real. But I like its vintage gauges and submarine-like wheel.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

azkid (August 20th, 2020), Detman101 (August 19th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,685 Times in 1,969 Posts

Straight from my almamater:

One of the "milestones" (according to IEEE Computer Society), the Atanasoff-Berry computer pioneered 3 main things that we find in modern computers:

1. Using binary digits to represent all numbers and data
    2. Performing all calculations using electronics rather than wheels, ratchets, or mechanical switches
    3. Computation and memory are separated.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

azkid (August 20th, 2020), Detman101 (August 19th, 2020), SlowMovingTarget (August 18th, 2020)

Thanks

Wow, I 'm amazed at how many people here have vintage computer knowledge. I have a basement full of early personal computers. IBM 5150, 5155, Kaypro II, AT&T 6300, etc etc. About 500sqft of my basement in vintage and parts. lol

I'm not collecting any more, but I'm not getting rid of stuff either. I used to use some of them just for fun. It's a gas to put OS and utilities on a 160k floppy and do email - yes it can still be done. The only problem nowadays is nobody is impressed. lol Typically when I say "vintage computer" I get a blank stare, though some have the decency to ask "what's that". (sigh)

I don't know. I think we're an elite lot here at FPG. Since I got into fountain pens I've been waxing eloquent about them when I talk with people around Coalmont. Several have asked what they are. Another was smart enough to have an idea: "they're the ones with the pointy tip, right?" Yep, they're the ones with the pointy tip. (deep sigh)

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Ole Juul For This Useful Post:

azkid (August 20th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    Wow, I 'm amazed at how many people here have vintage computer knowledge. I have a basement full of early personal computers. IBM 5150, 5155, Kaypro II, AT&T 6300, etc etc. About 500sqft of my basement in vintage and parts. lol

I'm not collecting any more, but I'm not getting rid of stuff either. I used to use some of them just for fun. It's a gas to put OS and utilities on a 160k floppy and do email - yes it can still be done. The only problem nowadays is nobody is impressed. lol Typically when I say "vintage computer" I get a blank stare, though some have the decency to ask "what's that". (sigh)

I don't know. I think we're an elite lot here at FPG. Since I got into fountain pens I've been waxing eloquent about them when I talk with people around Coalmont. Several have asked what they are. Another was smart enough to have an idea: "they're the ones with the pointy tip, right?" Yep, they're the ones with the pointy tip. (deep sigh)
    I go through that almost every day too!
    The only time that I feel that I'm the least bit relevant is if I bring up something I've seen on "Social Media"...then peoples eyes light up and they begin to converse with me rather than stare at me confused or find excuses to leave.
    Just by virtue of my likes and interests, I'm a natural repellant to the common modern-day person.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Detman101 For This Useful Post:

Ole Juul (August 19th, 2020)

Thanks

Yikes, so true on the old computers. An old Mac would be pretty small, but still... I grew up on a C64, but used PETs at mom's school before that, and actual IBM PCs in HS computer class. Indeed not a lot of truly practical use out of any of them now. At least you're not thinking of collecting old VAX-11 computers like we did in our nerdy college computer club (we had a couple of 780s and a 750, some PDP-11s and other odds and ends). Stock photo below.

This. I love it. It's so TRON. You're lucky your computer club machines didn't suck you into the system.