Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,818 Times in 797 Posts

Default Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

Quote Originally Posted by solarossa View Post
    Hi, I've gotten as far as I could go with ballpoint pens and wanted to get more pens but couldn't find much more variety. That's when I started looking into fountain pens earlier this year. I started with a Metropolitan and have acquired a Jotter, TWSBI Eco, and Safari since then. These are pretty much the popular starter pens. As one would expect, the want for more pens never ends.

I had been saving up for a Montblanc and when it came to pull the trigger on one, I just couldn't justify the price in my head anymore. I instead decided to purchase a Lamy 2000, Diplomat Aero, Kaweco Sport Brass, Apache Sunset and Ancient Copper inks, and some journals. All of that was still less than a Montblanc and I feel way better about the purchase. Now I'm back trying to save...
    Welcome to the hobby! Before you start to buy more pens I would recommend you take your time and give the pens you have some continued use so you get a sense of what you like and what you don't like about them. For example, a TWSBI Eco and a Safari have quite forgiving nibs which are excellent for users that have just arrived from the ballpoint world. The Lamy 2000 is quite another animal in its own class by itself. Many first time L2K users complain about a "sweet spot" issue when the fact is that the nib is cut in a different way than a Safari or an Eco. Take your time. Get the feel of it. You won't regret it.

As far as the inks are concerned be aware that ink samples are the way to go.

Thanks

Default Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

I completely understand your perspective. My fountain pen journey will be long and it will be expensive. Whenever I get into a new hobby or interest, I tend to go all in.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tscweaves View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    Last week my mom gifted me with my dad's Sheaffer pen set that he received in 1948. The pen needed a little work, so I sent it off to Gerry Berg. I came back home yesterday and it is so pretty. It is a Sheaffer Triumph Sentinel with pencil, and it is lovely to use.

I have started journaling, working on my cursive handwriting, and attempting to keep an ink journal. I am still trying to figure out what inks work in what pen with what nib on what paper! Sometimes I am better at taking notes than other times:-)
    You are very lucky to have been given a pen with so much history and meaning.

As far as figuring out the best pen/ink/paper combo..... enjoy the ride!
    I agree, I am thrilled to have the pen and pencil. I have always preferred mechanical pencils, I have a bunch of cheapy ones. It is so nice to have a fine quality pen & pencil to use daily and the added bonus that is was my dad's who received the set from his parents. I have an affinity for generational items that can still be used.
    Since you like mechanical pencils, Autopoint produced a very quality product. A person who wrote a book on Autopoint history said "the most rare Autopoint is one that doesn't work". Vintage 1.1mm lead is readily available and the cost minimal. I pair my Autopoints with my fountain pens everyday. These vintage pencils use .9 mm or 1.1 mm lead. My oldest one is from 1927 and performs flawlessly.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Land Cruiser View Post
    I will play. Always liked FPs, played with them when I was little (before knowing how to write). Recently took up writing as form of meditation and turned up level of activity around my pens.
    Well played!

For me, sketching is the meditative activity that I can focus on using my fountain pens.
    That and repairing broken vintage pens.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    Last week my mom gifted me with my dad's Sheaffer pen set that he received in 1948. The pen needed a little work, so I sent it off to Gerry Berg. I came back home yesterday and it is so pretty. It is a Sheaffer Triumph Sentinel with pencil, and it is lovely to use.

I have started journaling, working on my cursive handwriting, and attempting to keep an ink journal. I am still trying to figure out what inks work in what pen with what nib on what paper! Sometimes I am better at taking notes than other times:-)

I agree, I am thrilled to have the pen and pencil. I have always preferred mechanical pencils, I have a bunch of cheapy ones. It is so nice to have a fine quality pen & pencil to use daily and the added bonus that is was my dad's who received the set from his parents. I have an affinity for generational items that can still be used.
    Since you like mechanical pencils, Autopoint produced a very quality product. A person who wrote a book on Autopoint history said "the most rare Autopoint is one that doesn't work". Vintage 1.1mm lead is readily available and the cost minimal. I pair my Autopoints with my fountain pens everyday. These vintage pencils use .9 mm or 1.1 mm lead. My oldest one is from 1927 and performs flawlessly.
    I was going through my mechanical pencils last night. I had gathered them up from their scattered locations throughout my house to document what I have and what size lead they take. Other than my dad's Sheaffer, the oldest are from the 1980's which includes an Autopoint that uses 1.1mm lead. The other 4 older pencils are different models of Pentel drafting pencils. The only problem with any of these pencils is that I have lost the cap off of the end of a Pentel Sharp PS350. I never realized that there was a mechanical pencil following, I have just always used them😃

Thanks

have been here a few weeks and all is good and people have been helpful.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Land Cruiser View Post
    I will play. Always liked FPs, played with them when I was little (before knowing how to write). Recently took up writing as form of meditation and turned up level of activity around my pens.
    Well played!

For me, sketching is the meditative activity that I can focus on using my fountain pens.
    That and repairing broken vintage pens.
    Thank you! I may look into it as a future past time It seems fitting for winter nights.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Thanks

I was going through my mechanical pencils last night. I had gathered them up from their scattered locations throughout my house to document what I have and what size lead they take. Other than my dad's Sheaffer, the oldest are from the 1980's which includes an Autopoint that uses 1.1mm lead. The other 4 older pencils are different models of Pentel drafting pencils. The only problem with any of these pencils is that I have lost the cap off of the end of a Pentel Sharp PS350. I never realized that there was a mechanical pencil following, I have just always used them😃
    My eldest prefers pencils which inspired me to send her a few. This started me on the Autopoint path. My father worked for the old Southern Bell Telephone company which bought millions of pencils including Mark Sense pencils with lead used for IBM punch card technology. I found a similar dark soft lead from Legendary Lead called Wet Noodles. https://www.legendaryleadcompany.com/

If I can help you with Autopoints, let me know. They all use the same piston lead advance. Autopoint advances the lead but does not retract. You just twist to the left and push the lead down.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Spent a bit of time last year searching for a Skilcraft pencil. The one with red lead at one end and black at the other. Apparently the older models had a sturdier clip, and I was hoping to find one in excellent condition with the "US Government" wording. No luck, but I did have an entertaining time looking at some of the advertising pencils.

Thanks

My Autopoint works great, but thanks formthe offer of assistance😃

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Spent a bit of time last year searching for a Skilcraft pencil. The one with red lead at one end and black at the other. Apparently the older models had a sturdier clip, and I was hoping to find one in excellent condition with the "US Government" wording. No luck, but I did have an entertaining time looking at some of the advertising pencils.
    Autopoint made that two end pencil. There are plenty for sale on eBay.

Thanks

I have one of those Autopoints's as well, with blue & red lead. I know it is somewhere in the house, and I swear I just saw it in the last couple of weeks but darn if I can get my hands on it!

Thanks

I've been a member for a week but have been collecting for a few years. My collection is relatively small, 27 pens at the moment. Now, to answer the questions posed:

1. My newest ink is Noodler's Habanero. It sounds cheesey, but I bought it because I love spicy foods and I grow Habanero peppers in my garden, I picked up the Cayenne ink for the same reason.
    2. I haven't learned anything new that I can think of. But my memory isn't what it used to be...
    3. Not into restoration. But I do have an mid 40's Parker and 50's Sheaffer that I'll someday send off to be reconditioned by someone with much more patience and experience.
    4. New dream pen? That list is long. But my current top three are: MB Jules Verne, Nakaya Dorsal Fin Ver2 Aka-tamenuri, and the Montegrappa Lord of the Rings in Sterling Silver.
    5. Anything else FP related. I've gotten more active on my Instagram account, posting pen pics on almost a daily basis. If you're interested, my account name is the same there, as it is on this site.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saint_pat For This Useful Post:

azkid (July 24th, 2020), penwash (July 22nd, 2020)

Thanks

I came because I was reading about ink on the internet, and this forum came up with several long threads. So I thought this would be a resource that I could benefit from. I had bought a new cheap Kaweco to replace my old Parker school pen, but I definitely didn't consider pen "collecting" as such. However, after digging out all the fountain pens in my possession (I was surprised at how many!) I started comparing them in terms of which ones I might want to use. After posting pictures of some older pens so I could get a little info, I realized that I actually had the beginnings of a nice little collection. I subsequently mailed five pens off to get repaired, and am waiting for a nib for a gold Parker 75.

So I've actually got a nice little collection of more expensive vintage pens as well as a couple of older lower end ones. I think I'll be happy with that. I'm still not at all enticed by nice expensive pens and will not easily turn into a collector as such. I am however, a general collector of antiques and old things, so of course if I see something interesting in a thrift shop or garage sale for pennies, I'll pick it up, now that I'm a little more educated. But I'm certainly not going to go out and buy a hundred dollar or more pen any time soon. Though I did order a Noodler Boston Safety Pen for fifty, but that's for it's specific functionality in handling ink - although I'm happy to have it as part of my modest collection.

So that's it. I've bought another identical Kaweco because I want to have two inks in what I consider my work horse, and I'm about good now.

Summing up what's happened since I joined, I'd say I've learnt to appreciate the pens I have, enough to spend some money on them. And I've learned a lot about fountain pens in general. Well, one more thing. I've found a great community of nice people, many of whom I can actually relate to.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ole Juul For This Useful Post:

azkid (July 24th, 2020), penwash (July 22nd, 2020)

Thanks

Expensively

Thanks

I have been using pens for years but I came across a large number of older pens from before 1939, I am just working my way through them. I have been looking on ebay and prices are really down, I saw a new 51 with chalkmarks and a box for $34, and a Montblanc 146 in serviced condition for $120.

I would like to be able to write a little more, I am a carpenter and furniture restorer so not much in the way of work opportunities.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to RobJohnson For This Useful Post:

azkid (July 29th, 2020)

Thanks

I bought a box of vintage 1.1mm IBM Electrographic leads on ebay for about $20. Brilliant lead. I have 6 of the wooden pencils, for which I paid about $9 each. So I figured the leads would be good, too. And they are. Currently running it in a vintage "US Govt" mechanical pencil (Skilcraft, I think). But I also have a brand new modern 1.1 Autopoint I will load it into when I've run through the autopoint lead.

Thanks

I stress-buy fountain pens. I have five already purchased (I think it's five) and all but two of them shipping. The other two haven't dropped yet, and I haven't received ship dates yet. I'm bidding on one pen on ebay. I don't buy a lot of ink, because I prefer blue, blue-black and black inks. I have plenty of notebooks. I have a mental list of pens, antique, vintage and modern, that I still want to buy. Even if I don't write daily with my pens, I like to talk to them. I like to imagine their lives, past and present.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TFarnon For This Useful Post:

azkid (August 4th, 2020), NumberSix (August 5th, 2020)

Thanks

Newest pen: My first gold nib, a Pilot Custom 74 (f) in Blue.

Newest inks:
    • Noodler's Ink Tiananmen
    • Noodler's Ink Purple Heart
    • Diamine Sherwood Green
    • Noodler's Ink Roller Eel (with a Charlie and an American Eel Rollerball)

Newly modified pens:
    • Jinhao x750 Shimmering Sands with Goulet Fine Steel nib
    • Noodler's Ink Ahab Hudson Bay Fathoms with Goulet Broad Steel nib

24. The Following User Says Thank You to SlowMovingTarget For This Useful Post:

azkid (August 5th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

That 74 looks nice. Good writer? I think that might be the same nib that's on my Stargazer. Or similar. With the right ink it is wonderful to write with.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

SlowMovingTarget (August 5th, 2020)