Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

Thanks

Default Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    Yikes, so true on the old computers....

Okay, so it's not real. But I like its vintage gauges and submarine-like wheel.
    That's pretty cool. I love "future tech". How could they have predicted the 2004 computers' capability? How in 2004 could most of us have predicted the iPhone just 3 years later? (yes, I know Palm Pilots and Blackberry phones existed, but it wasn't the same)

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Straight from my almamater:

One of the "milestones" (according to IEEE Computer Society), the Atanasoff-Berry computer pioneered 3 main things that we find in modern computers:

1. Using binary digits to represent all numbers and data
    2. Performing all calculations using electronics rather than wheels, ratchets, or mechanical switches
    3. Computation and memory are separated.
    Astonishing.

Thanks

Default Re: For those who joined in the last 60 days: How's your FP journey going?

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    Wow, I 'm amazed at how many people here have vintage computer knowledge. I have a basement full of early personal computers. IBM 5150, 5155, Kaypro II, AT&T 6300, etc etc. About 500sqft of my basement in vintage and parts. lol

I'm not collecting any more, but I'm not getting rid of stuff either. I used to use some of them just for fun. It's a gas to put OS and utilities on a 160k floppy and do email - yes it can still be done. The only problem nowadays is nobody is impressed. lol Typically when I say "vintage computer" I get a blank stare, though some have the decency to ask "what's that". (sigh)

I don't know. I think we're an elite lot here at FPG. Since I got into fountain pens I've been waxing eloquent about them when I talk with people around Coalmont. Several have asked what they are. Another was smart enough to have an idea: "they're the ones with the pointy tip, right?" Yep, they're the ones with the pointy tip. (deep sigh)
    I constantly watch youtube videos from people like LGR and 8-bit Guy about older computers (and Techmoan about esoteric audio equipment). Heck, there's a guy who has built an IMSAI, and he has 50+ videos about programming it, adding peripherals, etc. I don't even understand half of what he says or does, but it's fascinating to me. The stuff that was done with mainframes, minicomputers, and desktop PCs in the 60s-mid90s blows my mind because I carry a computer in my pocket that puts them all to shame.

But again, space is an issue. You have a basement. I have a 1BR apartment. LOL I am just glad there's a robust community out there willing to make videos and share this stuff. (Just like with vintage pens!) And people who have saved old computer commercials, training videos, etc.

Also, as an 80s kid, computers were something just out of reach. Schools had them. And around 1990, I was hand-me-downed a creaky Tandy 1000SX from a relative. But until then, it was something I only dreamed about owning. I think that's why I am so interested in the computers of the era.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NumberSix For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (August 20th, 2020), Ole Juul (August 19th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    Wow, I 'm amazed at how many people here have vintage computer knowledge. I have a basement full of early personal computers. IBM 5150, 5155, Kaypro II, AT&T 6300, etc etc. About 500sqft of my basement in vintage and parts. lol

I'm not collecting any more, but I'm not getting rid of stuff either. I used to use some of them just for fun. It's a gas to put OS and utilities on a 160k floppy and do email - yes it can still be done. The only problem nowadays is nobody is impressed. lol Typically when I say "vintage computer" I get a blank stare, though some have the decency to ask "what's that". (sigh)

I don't know. I think we're an elite lot here at FPG. Since I got into fountain pens I've been waxing eloquent about them when I talk with people around Coalmont. Several have asked what they are. Another was smart enough to have an idea: "they're the ones with the pointy tip, right?" Yep, they're the ones with the pointy tip. (deep sigh)
    That is fascinating, I'd love to visit and look around your computer "museum".

I've been tempted several times to collect vintage computers because they are becoming more rare as people throw them away. But, one hobby at a time is about the only thing I can afford in terms of time.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

NumberSix (August 19th, 2020), Ole Juul (August 19th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

...I've been tempted several times to collect vintage computers because they are becoming more rare as people throw them away. But, one hobby at a time is about the only thing I can afford in terms of time.
    Not to mention...SPACE. I allow myself one vintage manual typewriter, and I am keeping it that way.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

NumberSix (August 19th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

@Ole Juul that's a cool collection. I have almost no knowledge of IBM gear earlier than the PC.

@Detman101 I am a bit of a Luddite. Sure I have a smartphone and I play with electronics but I'm usually wearing one of my mechanical watches, playing a record on my vintage stereo, and of course there's the fountain pens. I don't use my typewriters much but I just dug out my mom's old Smith-Corona and got a new ribbon for it so maybe I will try to do some writing with it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (August 20th, 2020)

Thanks

@Ole Juul that's a cool collection. I have almost no knowledge of IBM gear earlier than the PC.

@Detman101 I am a bit of a Luddite. Sure I have a smartphone and I play with electronics but I'm usually wearing one of my mechanical watches, playing a record on my vintage stereo, and of course there's the fountain pens. I don't use my typewriters much but I just dug out my mom's old Smith-Corona and got a new ribbon for it so maybe I will try to do some writing with it.
    Sometimes the old ways....are the best ways!

Thanks

. . . I just dug out my mom's old Smith-Corona and got a new ribbon for it so maybe I will try to do some writing with it.
    I've got a couple of nice old typewriters, but when I moved in to this house 14 years ago my new neighbor saw an opportunity to give me a typewriter. Sure, I'm a sucker for free stuff, so I took it. I used to type quite well on mechanicals very many years ago, so I thought I'd revisit that for old times sake and subsequently sat down to write someone a letter. Whoa! I like heavy keyboards like the IBM model "M", but this was way more difficult than I remember. Basically, unless you've been doing pushups on your finger tips, you'll need to use your elbows.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ole Juul For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (August 21st, 2020)

Thanks

FP Journey just got a lot better.
    Solved my ink starvation problem completely.

Actually don't need the second pen now...lol.
    BUT...since it's coming, I'll mod it too.
    Two is better than one...hehe...
    Last edited by Detman101; August 21st, 2020 at 10:39 PM. Reason: video input...

Thanks

I would say that my FP journey is going badly. I've fallen in love with the things, and find it very difficult to say "no" to them. My wallet objects, but I just put my fingers in my ears and hum loudly. What I've learned is that I basically love all of them.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TFarnon For This Useful Post:

azkid (August 22nd, 2020), Detman101 (August 22nd, 2020)

Thanks

After more than 50 years of writing almost exclusively with a fountain pen, I must say the "journey" is going well. I now have five pens and six bottles of ink. Who could ask for more?

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sphere For This Useful Post:

azkid (August 30th, 2020), manoeuver (August 30th, 2020), TFarnon (August 30th, 2020)

Thanks

Ahh, yes! I remember the PDP-10s and similar. They were the closest thing to a home computer available at the time. One of my dad's coworkers (dad was an engineer) had one), and predictably, my brother and I wanted one, too. Dad vetoed that. I don't know why, other than my dad knew full well if we both wanted something, that meant my brother and I were Up To Something. We also wanted more books than the house could hold, all the scientific equipment we could find, and our own laboratory facilities. I was one of a very few (compared to now, at any rate) girl-geeks. I didn't care what boys thought of me. Mom made me dress and look like a normal girl, but my inner nerd came shining through.
    Last edited by TFarnon; August 31st, 2020 at 09:13 AM. Reason: to correct punctuation

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TFarnon For This Useful Post:

azkid (August 30th, 2020), manoeuver (August 30th, 2020), NumberSix (August 30th, 2020)

Thanks

Found the perfect pen for me along with the perfect teacher...things are looking up!

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Detman101 For This Useful Post:

NumberSix (September 2nd, 2020), SlowMovingTarget (October 8th, 2020)

Thanks

Time for this thread to get bump.

Let's hear it from the new members!
    - Will

Thanks

Hey guys. Mega noob here. Been using my only pen on a rhodia pad, a lamy CP1. I really enjoy this. I wanted a fancy one, eventually. Should I graduate to the Lamy 2000?

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VilaFrancaWeimar For This Useful Post:

azkid (October 22nd, 2020), Schaumburg_Swan (April 29th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VilaFrancaWeimar View Post
    Hey guys. Mega noob here. Been using my only pen on a rhodia pad, a lamy CP1. I really enjoy this. I wanted a fancy one, eventually. Should I graduate to the Lamy 2000?
    If the Lamy 2000 photos and reviews make you want to try one, sure!

But don't get it just because everyone seems to have one. Find your next pen by researching the ones that attract you either visually or spec-wise or both.

For something different, Pilot Vanishing Point is an awesome fountain pen. Maybe one of those attractive Laban models. Faber Castell Ambition or Ondoro are also fantastic pens. And many, many more beyond the popular brands.
    - Will

26. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

VilaFrancaWeimar (October 23rd, 2020)

Thanks

If the Lamy 2000 photos and reviews make you want to try one, sure!

But don't get it just because everyone seems to have one. Find your next pen by researching the ones that attract you either visually or spec-wise or both.

For something different, Pilot Vanishing Point is an awesome fountain pen. Maybe one of those attractive Laban models. Faber Castell Ambition or Ondoro are also fantastic pens. And many, many more beyond the popular brands.
    I like the look of it, and wanted a pen that had that filling system. Like a house pen, all fancy. It also complements the bauhaus type of look the CP1 already has. I look at a lot of others in that price point and only the 2000 does it for me. Maybe the kawecos, but I heard those have Baby bottoms, or whatever you call them?
    I also like the platinum century, chenoceau white gt but keeping it real seems a bit expensive for what it is. Am I being silly?

Thanks

Used a fine nib this morning for the first time. Not sure how I feel about this. On one hand I feel like it compliments my writing better, on the other its kind of "dry" and not very satisfactory like the medium. Is there such a thing as a more "inky" and smooth fine?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,818 Times in 797 Posts

Used a fine nib this morning for the first time. Not sure how I feel about this. On one hand I feel like it compliments my writing better, on the other its kind of "dry" and not very satisfactory like the medium. Is there such a thing as a more "inky" and smooth fine?
    May I suggest you open up a new topic with this question? You will surely get more answers.

And if you describe your pen/ink/paper combination you will get more useful answers.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

VilaFrancaWeimar (October 23rd, 2020)

Thanks

OK, sorry friend, I thought this was the noob megathread, I dont want go off topic. Where should I make the thread? Pens general? I dont want to be the annoying dude, I generally am one in any new forum lol I was using a rhodia pad and it got a lot smoother when on the actual pad as opposed to just a piece of paper. Still, not as smooth as a B or an M

Thanks

OK, sorry friend, I thought this was the noob megathread, I dont want go off topic. Where should I make the thread? Pens general? I dont want to be the annoying dude, I generally am one in any new forum lol I was using a rhodia pad and it got a lot smoother when on the actual pad as opposed to just a piece of paper. Still, not as smooth as a B or an M
    It's a good topic. Yes, I think pens general is good. This thread is about how your journey is going.

Welcome to the forum.