Quote Originally Posted by solarossa View Post
Hi, I've gotten as far as I could go with ballpoint pens and wanted to get more pens but couldn't find much more variety. That's when I started looking into fountain pens earlier this year. I started with a Metropolitan and have acquired a Jotter, TWSBI Eco, and Safari since then. These are pretty much the popular starter pens. As one would expect, the want for more pens never ends.

I had been saving up for a Montblanc and when it came to pull the trigger on one, I just couldn't justify the price in my head anymore. I instead decided to purchase a Lamy 2000, Diplomat Aero, Kaweco Sport Brass, Apache Sunset and Ancient Copper inks, and some journals. All of that was still less than a Montblanc and I feel way better about the purchase. Now I'm back trying to save...
Welcome to the hobby! Before you start to buy more pens I would recommend you take your time and give the pens you have some continued use so you get a sense of what you like and what you don't like about them. For example, a TWSBI Eco and a Safari have quite forgiving nibs which are excellent for users that have just arrived from the ballpoint world. The Lamy 2000 is quite another animal in its own class by itself. Many first time L2K users complain about a "sweet spot" issue when the fact is that the nib is cut in a different way than a Safari or an Eco. Take your time. Get the feel of it. You won't regret it.

As far as the inks are concerned be aware that ink samples are the way to go.