Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: No way to carry pens...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Re: No way to carry pens...

Yes, there are plenty of options out there!

Points of note though:

1. Choosing the right type of holder.
    2. Choosing the right quality of holder.
    3. Has to be reasonable value.

Lots of the offerings on Amazon et al are from companies I've never heard of.
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; August 1st, 2019 at 04:57 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

I've purchased many things from companies I've never heard of on Amazon and on ebay in the full knowledge that I'm completely safe. I never worry about it
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

It's not about safety, it's about getting decent quality for your money. That's hard to assess without having decent reviews, or prior knowledge of a company's product.

I have bought things from unknown (to me) sellers and been very pleasantly impressed.

Personally I would have preferred leather, but most of the styles are not my kind of thing - okay, that's a preference, we all have them - or they don't meet my requirements, or the cost is very high. With this in mind I accept the offered alternative of Nock, and as I am aware of their position and standing in the community I am happy to give them a go... except they are currently thin on the ground.

I was hoping to take some of my pens with me on my holiday but that doesn't look likely seeing as I don't have anything to carry them in.

You may have noticed that despite my willingness to give things away, I am actually a bit frugal when it comes to the spending side of it. I can afford a lot of stuff, but that doesn't mean I am willing to pay!

Thanks

What about https://penclassics.nz/collections/p...out-raven-aqua

Rene also has the Hurlestone cases which are a Kiwi company.
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Yes, there are plenty of options out there!

Points of note though:

1. Choosing the right type of holder.
    2. Choosing the right quality of holder.
    3. Has to be reasonable value.

Lots of the offerings on Amazon et al are from companies I've never heard of.
    Those are certainly key, but there are two additional points:

4. Must be available
    5. Reasonable shipping time

Those Nock cases look like a really good option. I would certainly buy one of the prices ever come down.

There are many companies of which none of us have heard. That does not make their products good or bad. Many brand names source their products from such unknown companies, mainly in China. Why not pass the savings onto yourself instead of paying extra for branding?

IMHO, Amazon is a godsend for fountain pen users. Lots of great products at bargain prices, and quick shipping! One advantage it has over many other retailers is their ratings system. It is not foolproof, but reading the reviews can give you some idea of how well (or not) a product performs. Retailers occasionally have reviews on their websites. In my experience, these reviews are heavily censored to filter out low ratings and are quite unreliable.

I was hoping to take some of my pens with me on my holiday but that doesn't look likely seeing as I don't have anything to carry them in.
    Just a thought, but perhaps that is perfect being the enemy of good? Besides, if you get a pen case and decide you don't like it, it can always be traded for something else you want.

Anyways, I hope you are able to take your pens along and enjoy using them on holiday! Enjoyment and satisfaction have value, too.
    Last edited by Pendragon; August 1st, 2019 at 06:39 PM.

Thanks

Think I may just take a couple of multifunction ballpoints and a mechanical pencil. Would save me the hassle of worrying about fountain pens and ink. That's probably the most pragmatic solution. Done.

edit: does anyone know if Michael (my63) is still making pen cases? He hasn't been active on here since the end of last year.
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; August 4th, 2019 at 05:54 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

Well, this ain't gonna help YOU, but recently I hired a seamstress to copy a little storebought dress and asked if she could sew a pen pocket in the skirt. The answer: Tak. Oczywiście. Nie ma problemu. (Actually, she had to think about it but was confident that she could.)

And she did! So now I have two dresses and one skirt, all with a pen pocket that fits my "daily" Pilot 823. And four skirts being made now.

This means I can pretty much minimize my already-small wardrobe, and there's always a pen pocket!

My other idea incorporated Velcro, but then I'd have to sew Velcro patches onto all of my clothes in order for that idea to work. Quickly and smartly dispensed with that idea. (Mostly because of my inexpert sewing skills.) (Maybe if I'd bought a sewing machine, I could do these small projects.) (No room in the HOB, however (House of Bitches).)

The other four pens ride in a case in my backpack with my "travel essentials" ("travel" could mean "going to a cafe" or "getting on a bike/train/plane"). The other two ride in one of the backpack's side pockets on the outside. So I'm saying seven pens; I carry seven pens. (Two might get de-inked imminently.)

Good luck with your search, EoC!

Thanks

Still active on FPN

Thanks

Yeah, but I can't contact him through that site. Good to know he is still around though. Thanks.

Thanks

His website is on at least some of his posts.

Thanks

Bit the bullet and ordered a Nock Lookout from a local (national) seller. Personally I would have preferred the Sinclair, but beggars and all that.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Pendragon (August 12th, 2019)

Thanks

Okay, the Nock Lookout (in Raven/Aqua colourway) has arrived and I am very impressed with the build quality. It's definitely going to be my work carry from now on. Rene Versteegh, the owner of Pen Classics New Zealand, is great do business with.

So, secondary decision making time. What pens should I fly with?

This is the short list:

1. Pilot Custom 823, loaded with tsuki-yo. This is a definite shoo-in.

2. Pilot Custom Heritage 912 FA, cartridge/converter pen

3. Pilot Decimo, cartridge/converter pen

4. A custom made Dartmoor pen with an italic or stub nib - cartridge/converter pen.

5. A custom made Lava explosion pen with an italic or stub nib - cartridge/converter pen.

6. Parker 51 vacumatic - not sure if these are safe to fly with.

7. Bexley Prometheus - another cartridge/converter filler.

8. Lamy 2000 - not sure if these are safe to fly with either.

I can take up to 4 from this list. If taking a cartridge/converter pen I intend to fill any empty cart with ink of choice before leaving, rather than relying on sealed cartridges in a box (unless someone has a dire warning about this).

Note that I most certainly will not empty any of these pens through writing while on holiday - just not gone long enough and too many other demands on time.

Thanks

The L2K is definitely safe to fly with; it's my cabin pen when I travel. The Vacumatic should be fine for pressure changes in the cabin as well.

For the catridge/converter pens, perhaps the Decimo would be handy to have when you are out and about for quick notes.

And, yes, Rene is delightful to deal with

15. The Following User Says Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (August 17th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

I haven't flown with a vacumatic but my aerometric 51 has not given me issues in my carry on luggage or in use in the cabin on the handful of occasions I've flown with it.

Nevertheless, I place my pens in zip lock plastic bags just in case. Maybe with some paper towel or facial tissue. And I almost always fill them or empty them before flying. Belt and suspenders—a quick and easy precaution to prevent unlikely annoyance.

I've also taken various fountain pens on road trips from 5280' ASL (1610 m) in Denver to 11,158' ASL (3400 m) at Eisenhower Tunnel on I70 and back down, also with no issues.

"It might take an average airliner about 20 minutes to reach a cruise altitude of, say, 35,000 feet (11,000 m), at which point the pressurization system might maintain the cabin at the pressure you’d experience at 7,000 feet (2100 m): about 11 pounds per square inch (0.758 bar, 75.8 kPa). Your ears may pop, but the effect is mild because the [change in pressure is equivalent to a climb rate of] only 350 feet (110m) per minute. [That's like climbing a 6% grade at 65 mph (104 km/h)]. When the airplane descends, the pilot sets the system controller to the altitude of the destination airport, and the process works in reverse."
    https://www.airspacemag.com/flight-t...E3zlKhzWhgZ.99

Side note, I am on a quest to find a deal on a Sheaffer Skyboy which was marketed as suitable for use on a plane. (Reason #5, search for specific functionality)

posted by joss on FPN
    Last edited by azkid; August 17th, 2019 at 09:17 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (August 17th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,654 Times in 1,132 Posts

The Lookout will not only protect your pens, it will protect your other belongings from your pens. I once had a vintage Aurora 88 burp J. Herbin vert olive all over my mandarin/mango Lookout. The Lookout's fabric and padding absorbed all the ink and rinsed completely clean afterwards. My bag and papers were unaffected. The Lookout remains in daily use but the Aurora stays home.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (August 18th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,124 Times in 428 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    I haven't flown with a vacumatic but my aerometric 51 has not given me issues in my carry on luggage or in use in the cabin on the handful of occasions I've flown with it.

Nevertheless, I place my pens in zip lock plastic bags just in case. Maybe with some paper towel or facial tissue. And I almost always fill them or empty them before flying. Belt and suspenders—a quick and easy precaution to prevent unlikely annoyance.

I've also taken various fountain pens on road trips from 5280' ASL (1610 m) in Denver to 11,158' ASL (3400 m) at Eisenhower Tunnel on I70 and back down, also with no issues.

"It might take an average airliner about 20 minutes to reach a cruise altitude of, say, 35,000 feet (11,000 m), at which point the pressurization system might maintain the cabin at the pressure you’d experience at 7,000 feet (2100 m): about 11 pounds per square inch (0.758 bar, 75.8 kPa). Your ears may pop, but the effect is mild because the [change in pressure is equivalent to a climb rate of] only 350 feet (110m) per minute. [That's like climbing a 6% grade at 65 mph (104 km/h)]. When the airplane descends, the pilot sets the system controller to the altitude of the destination airport, and the process works in reverse."
    Nice information to have, but remember that EoC is going to do a lot of takeoffs/landings in a 2 week period. He and his wife are flying NZ to Singapore, Singapore to some transfer point to England, and then England to some transfer point to NZ, all with the same inked pens. Imho, just to be safe, I would have all 4 empty and have your inks of choice in 4 screw-top ink sample vials (sealed with tape and then in a ziplock baggie) to fill at your final destination. Then empty the pens for the return flight. Just add 4 mls to each vial, which will get you through security since each is less than the 100ml limit for carry-on. (Or perhaps buy some new inky samples at Aesthetic Bay! ) Better to be safe than have to deal with an inky mess at 36000 feet.

All the Best.
    Last edited by junglejim; August 18th, 2019 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Always Spelling
    Bucket list - walk the Camino de Santiago again

21. The Following User Says Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

azkid (August 18th, 2019)

Thanks

This is what makes the whole thing confusing. We have 6 take-offs and 6 landings. The Pilot Custom 823 should be bulletproof for this, according to its design intent and anecdotal evidence. The other pens are either a worry or they are not. Perhaps I should just take the 823?

Conflicting advice makes decision making tricky.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The number of takeoffs is not really a factor. It is the pressure change. Like I said, my L2K has never failed me on numerous flights. And a Vac should be just as safe.

I wouldn't trust a pen with a sac/bladder, as these are particularly susceptible to pressure change (that's their design, after all).

25. The Following User Says Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

I don't have problems with my modern pens and only hit-or-miss with vintage. So I'd suggest taking only modern.

I don't take extra care ( plastic bags, paper towels, tape). The pens are in the case in the carry-on (usually a backpack), so the case might be upright or upside down or on its side during the flight.

I do top off my pens, though, before the flight.

I'll be flying next month, probably will take a Parker 51 (along with P823, P912, PFalcon, and two Nakaya Piccolos), and I plan to fly with that one empty.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I have flown with vintage and modern pens on several occasions. The only time a pen leaked was when I forgot to put the pen case so the nibs were facing up. Only two pens leaked out of the 12 I was carrying. An Esterbrook and a Waterman Phileas both leaked but the Waterman was a huge mess compared to the Esterbrook which I thought was odd.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot