Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cheap fountain friendly paper

Thanks

Default Re: Cheap fountain friendly paper

Quote Originally Posted by OCArt View Post
    You might also consider bagasse paper- made from the fibers of sugar cane. Staples sells some under the Sustainable Earth brand but just make a note of that term and you'll see it from time to time in the dollar stores, etc.
    I can confirm that for me the sugar cane paper from Staples has done very well with my pens and using Noodler's Black ink.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MTHall720 View Post
    I am really happy with the sugar cane based paper from Staples. As a general rule I have found that paper made in Brazil and in Vietnam tend to be FP friendly.

I also have found that to be the case too. Generally happy with Brazil, Vietnam, and some India paper.

Thanks

+ Hammermill Digital Color Copy Paper, 28lb. It works very well and is even slightly better than HP paper. Plus the paper weight is great. Like most of these papers they are coated so your colors will tend to be more saturated. May take a little longer to dry but not terribly so. Available in reams.

+ Black'n Red notebooks, bound, are excellent also. Same notes as on the copy paper though.

Here are a few comparisons below though the prices may be out of date by a small amount.

Paper Brand & Name Price No. Of Sheets Weight lbs Weight gsm $/Sheet
    Hammilton Color Copy Digital, letter, #28, Ream 500 sheets $18.49 500 28 105.3 $0.04
    Kokuyo Campus Loose A4, 8.3x11.7 $7.75 50 75 $0.15
    Clairefontaine Triomphe Notepad - A4 $9.00 50 90 $0.18
    Tops Legal Pad, 50sht, 16lbs, Pack 12 pads $17.79 600 16 60.2 $0.03
    Black'nRed Notebook $7.00 96 24 90.0 $0.07

*Sorry about the spacing. I did arrange it but in preview it drops all the tabs and spacing.

Thanks

The backs of junk mail business envelopes are not necessarily fountain pen enemies. The best are the ones with the straight (vice triangular) fold - so when you use the back there's less interference with your writing / your list whathaveyou.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mreeveshp View Post
    What are some good notebooks, loose leaf, journal style, or reporter notebook brands that are real cheap....
    It’s been my experience that funds spent on cheap untested alternate paper stock ends up wasted once ink is applied. I take advantage of special pricing of the reliable brands and stock up. An excellent source is https://crazyalansemporium.wordpress.com. Call Alan and explain your needs. He brings loads of stationary to the fountain pen shows.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mreeveshp View Post
    What are some good notebooks, loose leaf, journal style, or reporter notebook brands that are real cheap....
    It’s been my experience that funds spent on cheap untested alternate paper stock ends up wasted once ink is applied. I take advantage of special pricing of the reliable brands and stock up. An excellent source is https://crazyalansemporium.wordpress.com. Call Alan and explain your needs. He brings loads of stationary to the fountain pen shows.
    I will definitely look into that site and I do agree after buying a bunch of different papers and then only half being okay, I have probably spent enough to buy good paper. My only problem is good paper is much lower quantity and with cheaper paper if its decent enough it's quite a bit more paper for just everyday practice.

I'd like to find somebody to do something like a pen pal writing back and forth and for that I would rather use better paper.

I've been practicing for over a year to be able to write cursive but I can't build any speed, I have to write so slow so I just keep practicing about an hour or so everyday.

mreeveshp

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

Thanks

If you are asking about the cheap ones then I like Pelikan Jazz and Rhodia Heritage. I also love the hand-assembled Appointed. However, I don't compromise on paper quality due to price because it always comes with a bad end. So, if you want lots of shading, no bleed and featuring then Tomoe River FP Notebook could be your first choice. I know its a little expensive but I think its fair due to lightweight and features. You can also see reviews of different paper for fountain pens from here https://drawingfan.com/best-paper-for-fountain-pens/. From here you can get all details and can make a better decision.

On the other hand, if you want a within budget option then what is about Clairefontaine? It is also very smooth and coming without ghosting and bleeding. Hopefully, you will like it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to IrenaRoese For This Useful Post:

VerticalTwin (October 20th, 2020)

Thanks

Hi people,

I am just a fountain pen NooB, bud I like to write on Clairfantaine paper.
    Currently I am writing on Clairfontaine 120 grams DCP paper. >link<.
    I also like to write o the normal paper from Clairfontaine, the Clairalfa, bud the DCP I like the most.
    I will not suck up the ink right away, and the pen flows very smooth in the ink over the super soft paper.
    Maybe it is just a personal preference, maybe you like it to.

One thing is for sure, it is certainly not expensive.

Thanks

In the nearby future Oxford comes with Oxford Optik paper in A4 packages of 500 sheets .
    I pre-ordered 1500 pages .

The Oxford Optik printer paper is the same paper witch is in their well known fountain pen friendly notebooks.
    oxford optik A4.jpg
    In Europe the delivery starts in the begin of April.
    You can order it on Amazon (at least the Dutch Amazon bud I think every European Amazon).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Niels For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (March 8th, 2021)

Thanks

Do you have a cents per sheet on the Optik loose leaf paper? I've found the Hammermill Digital Copier paper in #28 weight to be quite good. In another class from brands like HP. It feels, performs similar to Optik or close enough that it doesn't cause me any grief over the difference. I've used the higher end papers but just don't see enough difference to upgrade so far. I write exclusively with stubs and almost exclusively with Noodler's ink. It takes a decent paper to stand up to the combo.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Armstrong For This Useful Post:

Niels (March 13th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,246 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niels View Post
    In the nearby future Oxford comes with Oxford Optik paper in A4 packages of 500 sheets .
    I pre-ordered 1500 pages .

The Oxford Optik printer paper is the same paper witch is in their well known fountain pen friendly notebooks.
    oxford optik A4.jpg
    In Europe the delivery starts in the begin of April.
    You can order it on Amazon (at least the Dutch Amazon bud I think every European Amazon).
    It's been available here in the UK since last month, and it's nice (£6.99 a ream, less in bulk) which at todays rate is just under 2c (US) per sheet.

I just wish they did the 90gsm version, which is my preference for printing, especially double sided, which I tend to do so save paper.

I just got some Optik notebooks (they finally had the spiral bound unlined version back in stock) which were very good value - less than £2 each for five, which is less than half the price I normally have to pay for the Rhodia version - though I do still prefer the top bound Rhodia format if I have a choice.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

Niels (March 13th, 2021)

Thanks

Well I hope the Optik loose paper comes to the US. Love to do a comparison with it some of the others. I have found it does pay to experiment with papers that are more frugal. It is the same process known as comparison shopping. You buy a sample of a product and test it. If it doesn't work, use for your printer, scrap, drawing, whatever. Don't buy it again. If it does work, then add it to your acceptable list and so on.

I have had some recent success with B5 notebooks, dot-grid, from BooQool on Amazon. Look for the BooQool storefront. Perform well with stub nibs, not much show through, no bleeding, feathering, etc. Paper feels a little bit draggy but not much. Dry time seems a little long, but some of the inks I use do have longer dry times.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Here's a link to the Staples Sugar Cane Paper I use. https://www.staples.com/Staples-Sust...product_398457
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

I purchased the Exceed 100 gsm journal and attacked it with a bevy of Chinese fountain pens with a variety of inks. All came out great. See photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phhphd View Post
    I purchased the Exceed 100 gsm journal and attacked it with a bevy of Chinese fountain pens with a variety of inks. All came out great. See photos.
    Very nice handwriting. The journals are great in my opinion, great price and always work well for me, the notebooks on the other hand feather horribly with all my inks which aren't many, I was very disappointed with them. I also have some of the exceed pocket size hard cover notebooks which are great I think they use the same paper as the journals.

Thanks
    mreeveshp

Thanks

Ayush notebooks from India aren’t too bad...I paid $7 for a 5x8-ish size.... but I’d rather spend $22 for an Endless Recorder notebook, Tomoe River 68gsm, around 190 pages of very nice paper, both sides usable, and it’s a very nicely constructed notebook as well.

Thanks

Another vote for sugarcane paper. I use the pads from Office Despot and the loose leaf copy paper from Staples.

Thanks

I recently purchased Southworth paper from Amazon (US). 500 sheets for under $25. No issue with any pen or ink combination that I've used on it

Thanks

I recently purchased Southworth paper from Amazon (US). 500 sheets for under $25. No issue with any pen or ink combination that I've used on it