Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: any loose leaf tea drinkers out there?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Default Re: any loose leaf tea drinkers out there?

I buy from local shops. We have two in Center City Philadelphia: The Steap and House of Tea. Mostly drink Assam's and Darjeelings. Presently using a Darjeeling blend they make for a local restaurant called Lotus.
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

2. The Following User Says Thank You to writingrav For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (May 28th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ndw76 View Post
    I buy my Four Seasons Oolong from the shop near where I work. That is also where I get my Puer Char from. Then at work I just drink cheap Jasmine tea that I buy from the supermarket here. Good tea is easy to get her.

But a vintage fountain pen is another story.
    I drink Pu-erh Tea from Yunnan quite a bit. It's a red tea. I'm wondering if it is anything like your Puer Char. Sounds like it to me.
    ... Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working [Pablo Picasso] ...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogon07 View Post
    Is the Republic of Tea still around ?
    David Jones the department store used to sell them 20 years ago but unfortunately have long since ceased to. They have some wonderful teas like Moroocan Mint & Dragonwell.

The Republic of Tea.

Moroocan Mint & Dragonwell are also carried by Teavana.

Thanks

flc_166_01_l.jpg

My tea leaves literally came from trees around Mr Palin there. From that plantation and the one next to it. Cost around 30c per 80g there, to about $2 at Asian groceries here in Australia. My household consumes a lot of tea from many variety, so the cheaper, the better.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cedargirl View Post
    I buy my Four Seasons Oolong from the shop near where I work. That is also where I get my Puer Char from. Then at work I just drink cheap Jasmine tea that I buy from the supermarket here. Good tea is easy to get her.

I drink Pu-erh Tea from Yunnan quite a bit. It's a red tea. I'm wondering if it is anything like your Puer Char. Sounds like it to me.
    The Pu-erh I drink is artificially aged, shu. I buy it in bricks from the local tea shop. It is from 2010 and tastes great. A deep, earthy, grassy flavor that reminds me of malasas. I can't afford the really old well aged stuff, sheng. Maybe some day. One of the Chinese teachers at my school gave me a bowl shaped brick of Shu Pu-erh from 2006. Maybe if a few years I will start drinking it.

The best way to spend an afternoon. Writing letters and drinking tea.
    Hello, my name is Nathan. Pleased to make your aquaintance.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogon07 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MadAmos View Post
    I usually get my loose leaf tea from The Republic of Tea between my wife and I we go through quite a lot.
    Is the Republic of Tea still around ?
    David Jones the department store used to sell them 20 years ago but unfortunately have long since ceased to. They have some wonderful teas like Moroocan Mint & Dragonwell. We've still got some containers.

Now we have to make do with the TeaCentre and T2.
    Yes they are still alive and well I order from them 2-3 times a year and if you spend a certain amount shipping is free. The free shipping deal amount varies as I recall and seems to be the best around holidays. I have one of there catalogs right here with me and Moroccan Mint and Dragon Well are both still available.

Thanks

I brew loose leaf tea. Careful because that world is just as bad/addictive as the fountain pen world.

If you want to start, just get a pot with a big basket infuser or an infuser or something like the infusers Adagio sells. You want room for the leaves to expand.

As for loose tea suggestions, you can check with Upton Tea. They're very good and I get good stuff from them. If you want a nice black tea, get a good Assam (which is basically the main ingredient in Irish Breakfast). You will probably want to eventually invest in a cheap gaiwan and a kyusu for Chinese and Japanese teas. The gaiwan is great for puerh/oolongs and the kyusu is good for senchas (Japanese green tea)

Thanks

The Pu-erh I drink is artificially aged, shu. I buy it in bricks from the local tea shop. It is from 2010 and tastes great. A deep, earthy, grassy flavor that reminds me of malasas. I can't afford the really old well aged stuff, sheng. Maybe some day. One of the Chinese teachers at my school gave me a bowl shaped brick of Shu Pu-erh from 2006. Maybe if a few years I will start drinking it.

The best way to spend an afternoon. Writing letters and drinking tea.
    I haven't tried it in brick form. I just buy the loose leaf tea from a well stocked asian supermarket.

Afternoon ... letters ... tea... aaahh ... agreed.

Thanks

I like to let my tea diffuse loose in the pot and then use a strainer to catch the leaves. I only use a removable diffuser if I make a really big pot of tea that will get too strong before I finish it all. Except with green tea - it gets too bitter for me very quickly.

Does anyone make their own mint tea? I like to stuff a big handful of freshly picked mint into the pot with the tea leaves and pour the boiling water over. I grow my own moroccan mint for this.

What about iced tea? What varieties of tea do people like best for this?

Senior Member I like mango pudding's Avatar
    Thanks

Anyone practise the tea drinking like that depicted in these images?

https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&s...mg.F6ND_sRJ5-0

Thanks

Yeah, that is how I drink oolong and puer tea. But only when I have time. It is very easy to start the process and find that three or four hours have passed.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ndw76 For This Useful Post:

I like mango pudding (May 29th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 413 Posts

Yes. But like ndw76 says, you have to have a bit of time. I have a small collection of yixing pots for that purpose.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to AltecGreen For This Useful Post:

I like mango pudding (May 29th, 2013)

Thanks

Gong fu cha goes well with an afternoon of letter writing. But it doesn't go well with a one and a half year old running around the house.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

I like to let my tea diffuse loose in the pot and then use a strainer to catch the leaves. I only use a removable diffuser if I make a really big pot of tea that will get too strong before I finish it all. Except with green tea - it gets too bitter for me very quickly.

Does anyone make their own mint tea? I like to stuff a big handful of freshly picked mint into the pot with the tea leaves and pour the boiling water over. I grow my own moroccan mint for this.

As a child, my dad made mint tea on the weekends with some fresh mint from our garden...I wish he still did the same today!
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

I'm also a loose leaf tea drinker. I drink just about everything: Darjeeling, Ceylon, ripe Pu-erh, Chinese and Japanese green teas, and certain oolongs (esp. Wuyi). Some folks above mentioned Adagio, which is a good online vendor with some nice informational pages and an active forum. I've had good luck with Upton too, especially for black teas. Puerh Shop is a good online vendor for puerh, both raw and cooked.

Cedargirl, I'd recommend a good Ceylon for iced tea. And throwing in some of your fresh mint wouldn't hurt.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post

As a child, my dad made mint tea on the weekends with some fresh mint from our garden...I wish he still did the same today!
    Nice to have those memories.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anaximander View Post
    I'm also a loose leaf tea drinker. I drink just about everything: Darjeeling, Ceylon, ripe Pu-erh, Chinese and Japanese green teas, and certain oolongs (esp. Wuyi). Some folks above mentioned Adagio, which is a good online vendor with some nice informational pages and an active forum. I've had good luck with Upton too, especially for black teas. Puerh Shop is a good online vendor for puerh, both raw and cooked.

Cedargirl, I'd recommend a good Ceylon for iced tea. And throwing in some of your fresh mint wouldn't hurt.
    Great idea!

Thanks

Assam is my favourite, although a darjeeling is nice to unwind with in the evening. Loose leaf tea is quite easy to pick up at the supermarket here in the UK - but then we are a nation of tea drinkers!

Incidentally, my Wife bought me a great tea pot with an internal strainer for Christmas by Zoom Japan - well worth looking up!
    Selling pens and pencils online since 1996. thepencompany.com

Thanks

Uhm yeah. I used to have more tea than one single person could drink in a year, its taken me a bit of time but I'm finally working my way through with all of it (sending some off to friends helps distribute the love).

I've enjoyed Pu-erh, dragonwell and gunpowder teas but alas they're all gone. Teavana's Blueberry Kona Pop blend is awesome as an iced tea (although I brew it hot, sweeten it to taste and then refrigerate it instead of pouring it over ice). Breakfast preferences are black and generally Ceylon or Assam. Herbals and green teas I tend to consume in the early afternoons (my grandmother used to make me mint tea from the mint "bush" we had growing). Discovered Rooibos teas while living in Germany. As for the tea ritual/ceremony-type drinking, that was only for special occasions and that tended to involve Oolong or Jasmine teas.

Thanks

I was in Teavana this morning and I was told the stores no longer stock one of my favorites, Body and Mind, which is a combination of Silver Needles (white), Monkey Picked Oolong and Jasmine Pearls (green). They could custom blend it in the store but I had to buy a minimum of two oz of each. The final cost would have been about $72. I passed and bought a new tea, Four Seasons Oolong.