Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: any loose leaf tea drinkers out there?

Thanks

Cool Re: any loose leaf tea drinkers out there?

I have recently been enjoying a Baimao-Hou jasmine blend, other than that always Earl Grey with honey and cream or lemon juice.

Thanks

Default Re: any loose leaf tea drinkers out there?

Quote Originally Posted by myu View Post
    While I enjoy starting my day with coffee, I alternate with tea. My favorite over the past 10 years or so has Taylors of Harrogate Yorkshire Gold. The loose tea looks more like coffee grounds. It's rather fine, so you need a fine strainer/infuser. But wow, the brewed black tea is quite rich. I have it straight -- no milk, no sugar. I also enjoy green teas. There's a Japanese market not far from where I live and I buy teas there. Genmai Matcha is one of my favorites, a fine green tea with toasted rice. Some other great sources of tea are Mariage Freres and Le Palais des Thes. Wonderful range of flavorful teas.

That is just how I take my tea also.

https://www.youtube.com/user/YorkshireTeaBrewTube

Also worth trying is Bettys Tea

https://www.bettys.co.uk/bettys-tea-...ea-80-tea-bags

Thanks

What is "tea" anyway? Does "tea" mean only drinks made from tea leaves? Someone told me herbal tea like chamomile is technically not a tea. Is that true?

Thanks

I take it to mean infusions in general, mostly.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SIR For This Useful Post:

RNHC (February 17th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RNHC View Post
    What is "tea" anyway? Does "tea" mean only drinks made from tea leaves? Someone told me herbal tea like chamomile is technically not a tea. Is that true?
    Your answer is out there: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/tea (Oxford wants a subscription, first.)

The answer is a contextual one (i.e., a semantics waste of time).
    Last edited by FredRydr; February 16th, 2018 at 10:34 AM.

Thanks

I was taught that "tea" proper can only be from camellia sinensis. For everything else the French word tisane is applied.

For clarity, taking the extra .1 seconds to say herbal tea can be useful, but only in certain circumstances.

If you ask for tea in the UK, you will get caffeinated black tea with milk automatically unless specified otherwise.

If you say you drink 10 cups of tea a day, I may be inclined to think you drink too much caffeine until you note that it is chamomile. Being clear can have its uses.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

RNHC (February 17th, 2018)

Thanks

if you want to start with tea, you should learn about tea first, i am tea lover and start my tea experience from this blog https://www.umiteasets.com/blog/ many tea info and tea ceremony.

If you want to try the tea, i recommend Chinese oolong and Chinese puerh tea first.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dingdingdongdong For This Useful Post:

fountainpagan (August 23rd, 2019), penwash (August 22nd, 2019)

Banned
    Thanks

I knew a few people back in college.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by NDAzone; August 22nd, 2019 at 06:45 AM.

Thanks

The 'ceremony'?

Put tea in strainer over cup, pour hot water over/through tea, add extras such as honey and cream to taste.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post
    The 'ceremony'?

Put tea in strainer over cup, pour hot water over/through tea, add extras such as honey and cream to taste.
    This is a simply to to brew and drink tea, there is very interesting way to brew tea and drink tea in tea ceremony.
    Nothing gonna change my love for you.

Thanks

Maggie Smith (in character) on Americans serving tea.

Last edited by FredRydr; August 26th, 2019 at 03:54 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,124 Times in 428 Posts

The 'ceremony'?

I guess I'm the odd one out. Many decades ago I dated a lovely English girl who insisted I learn the 'proper' way to brew a fresh cuppa. Heat the water to a rolling boil, then add the boiling water to the teapot to warm it. Empty the teapot, then add a scoop of dried tea leaves to the built-in strainer. Add hot water, cover with a tea cozy and wait 5 minutes. Add fresh milk to your tea mug, remove the cozy and pour in the tea. Always milk before tea. To this day I still use the same method with a Chatsford 4 cup porcelan tea pot and a tea cozy with little cats imprinted on it. Current tea selection is an Irish Blend CTC from Upton Tea Imports. I have the exact same set-up here at work for my tea but that has an East Frisian BOP as the tea leaves. Never-ever use that nasty dust found in suspicious unsanitary tea bags. (Of course my coworkers think I'm already eccentric because I use fountain pens for work.)

All the Best.
    Bucket list - walk the Camino de Santiago again

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    The 'ceremony'?

I guess I'm the odd one out. Many decades ago I dated a lovely English girl who insisted I learn the 'proper' way to brew a fresh cuppa. Heat the water to a rolling boil, then add the boiling water to the teapot to warm it. Empty the teapot, then add a scoop of dried tea leaves to the built-in strainer. Add hot water, cover with a tea cozy and wait 5 minutes. Add fresh milk to your tea mug, remove the cozy and pour in the tea. Always milk before tea. To this day I still use the same method with a Chatsford 4 cup porcelan tea pot and a tea cozy with little cats imprinted on it. Current tea selection is an Irish Blend CTC from Upton Tea Imports. I have the exact same set-up here at work for my tea but that has an East Frisian BOP as the tea leaves. Never-ever use that nasty dust found in suspicious unsanitary tea bags. (Of course my coworkers think I'm already eccentric because I use fountain pens for work.)

All the Best.
    That's the original and "proper" way to make tea.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

junglejim (August 27th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Not according to a girlfriend of mine from long ago. Her take was that Western society was barbaric, didn't know how to make tea, and worse yet drank coffee.

The proper way to make tea, as I was constantly reminded, is to put half milk and half water in a pot. Bring it to a boil until until the milk just breaks, but no more. Then add the tea, some finely chopped ginger, some sugar, and let it simmer for several minutes. The ginger should be just enough to tingle on the tongue, no more no less. The tea should be just a little sweet, not too much sugar. A cardamom pod, crushed with the back of a spoon, can be used instead of the ginger. When the tea is ready, it is poured through a strainer into a mug or teacup.
    Last edited by Pendragon; August 27th, 2019 at 12:23 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
    Not according to a girlfriend of mine from long ago. Her take was that Western society was barbaric, didn't know how to make tea, and worse yet drank coffee.

The proper way to make tea, as I was constantly reminded, is to put half milk and half water in a pot. Bring it to a boil until until the milk just breaks, but no more. Then add the tea, some finely chopped ginger, some sugar, and let it simmer for several minutes. The ginger should be just enough to tingle on the tongue, no more no less. The tea should be just a little sweet, not too much sugar. A cardamom pod, crushed with the back of a spoon, can be used instead of the ginger. When the tea is ready, it is poured through a strainer into a mug or teacup.
    That's not tea. It may be a tisane drink.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Maggie Smith (in character) on Americans serving tea.
    I just showed this video to my wife. She said, "Hold that thought while I boil some water."
    "Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little." -Epicurus-

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    The 'ceremony'?

All the Best.
    Very correct way. The term tiffin - for lower class people, normally soldiers having 11s or high tea was from them pouring the Tea In First. The reason for milk first was to protect the porcelain from cracking due to the sudden heat.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to dapprman For This Useful Post:

junglejim (August 27th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post

I take it she's from the India Sub Continent (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, ...) - that's how to make chai, which comes from making soldiers tea for British Empire soldiers. Tea only came to India through the British as they looked for the right climate to grow their tea saplings (bought with opium). At first it was seen by the Indian locals as the foreign devil's drink, but after they started selling it to soldiers they adapted it to local tastes.

Frankly I find chai awful including the smell, which does not help me as I work for an Indian company in the UK with a few people who drink chai during the day.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paddler View Post
    I just showed this video to my wife. She said, "Hold that thought while I boil some water."
    My wife is English, and while we've lived in America off and mostly on for 45 years, I've heard about the same as Maggie Smith's words when we dine out. BUT, at home our various loose teas are neglected at the back of the tea cabinet, and the tea strainers are at the back of a drawer. Bags win out in our pots (especially P.G. Tips from their giant 240-bag box I buy from a local Indian grocer). Loose tea? "At my age, I haven't got the time!"
    Last edited by FredRydr; August 27th, 2019 at 06:24 AM.

Thanks

Has anyone tried Yorkshire Tea Biscuit Blend

https://www.yorkshiretea.co.uk/our-teas

I love a ginger nut with a cup of tea and this sounds good.