Thread: OH dropped my 2nd best Kindle & broke the screen.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Unhappy OH dropped my 2nd best Kindle & broke the screen.

What can you do? I bought myself a Kindle Paperwhite and passed on the baton of my perfect Kindle 3 in it's Amazon leather case, to my OH.

Yesterday, while we were both at the hairdresser, he fumbled to get out his reading glasses and dropped the Kindle onto the floor. The screen is covered in lines and won't work.

Amazon can't repair Kindles, so I decided to have a look around on the internet.

Apparently, a new screen can be bought from China, and the D00901 isn't all that difficult to fit one into.

However, I'm wondering exactly how difficult it might be for a "senior female" who doesn't have an essential tool that seems to be called something that sounds like a "spudger?"

So far, during February, the Miele built-in microwave blew it's magnetron, the HP ColourJet printer decided it couldn't align or print anything black, after it was fitted with it's brand new black cartridge, and now we have the cracked Kindle.

I'm glad it's March.
    Last edited by Chrissy; March 1st, 2019 at 03:14 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Default Re: OH dropped my 2nd best Kindle & broke the screen.

Without the tools, repairing electronics can be very difficult. I found this pile of tools on Amazon UK, the two blue tools on the left are spludgers. I have most of these or similar items in my electronics toolkit.

Toolkit

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sgtstretch View Post
    Without the tools, repairing electronics can be very difficult. I found this pile of tools on Amazon UK, the two blue tools on the left are spludgers. I have most of these or similar items in my electronics toolkit.

Toolkit
    Thank you for finding that. I can confirm I have ordered a "spudger" to get the back off. Screen next....

Thanks

I have an update.

The screen finally arrived from China. I carefully followed the best You Tube video that I found showing exactly how to get the back off of the Kindle, then how to remove the battery and all of the screws that needed to be removed. It also had a great idea: before you remove all of the screws check that the new screen is working. Oh drat. My new screen is as dead as the proverbial dodo. Even when I plugged the mains charging cable in, I couldn't persuade it to even offer a flicker.

My Kindle now sits in bits on the table and the "new" screen is back in it's box. The Chinese seller didn't want it back after checking through all of my pictures showing him that I had done everything right, step by step.

He gave me a refund, but I really wanted a working screen. I've given up.