Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Parker 51 availability

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Re: Parker 51 availability

No idea, I don't have the pen yet. Looking at the listing photos there are no imprints to be seen. It's probably non-original knowing my luck with 51s, but if it works it will have to do.

Thanks

Update>

The 51 has arrived. There are no imprints on the barrel, so I guess I've just been suckered again?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Don't always assume the worst, ok?

Double- and triple-check your pen. I just pulled out one 51 that I swore would have been an example like yours. Under good loupe magnification and putting the pen in a variety of lighting, I can finally see the very lightest of imprints, with all the information there. You'll find it just below the clutch ring, circling the pen. I have read that even fresh from the factory the imprints could be very lightly stamped, and sometimes in restoration they simply get polished away.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

I think that when Todd asks a question there is always a reason for it. The intimation is that this could be a replacement barrel, and that lack of an imprint would suggest this. However, I do take your point, but given my track record of being fragged by eBay sellers I hope you will understand why am inclined to negativity in this case.

Thanks

The pen is also nowhere near as dark as it looks in the photo, but on the other hand doesn't not look as light as pictures of dove grey.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 575 Posts

Without an imprint. This is what I anticipated with the Navy Grey color. The replacement barrels in Navy were not imprinted. You may well have one of the hard to find SJ Vac 51 colors.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (April 24th, 2019)

Thanks

I have my doubts, but it's not that important really. Here is a badly lighted image against a standard grey card to try to show the colour. Hard to capture with a desk lamp. I've never seen a dove grey example so cannot compare.

Edit: looking around on eBay reveals an incredible variation in grey 51 colour. Now this may be due to poor photography (of which I am an exponent!), or there really are lots of different shades of grey (heh). Some of the navy versions look to be more greenish, and some of the dove ones look to be very pale grey. Mine is somewhat in between, so I suspect it is the bog-standard dove grey and not anything more interesting.

Time to search around for a nicer pen colour to go with this cap.
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; April 24th, 2019 at 11:41 PM.