Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deciphering Pelikan Pens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 237 Posts

Default Re: Deciphering Pelikan Pens

Look at the old-style M200s as well ('85-'97) - not as vintage if you're worried about that (though I agree that with Pelikan 120/140s onwards that isn't usually a concern - the 100s are the ones that are more likely to need new seals) and they often go for very cheap. They're the ones that mostly say W. Germany on the cap and have two cap bands rather than one at the cap and one at the base. I particularly like the grey marble version.

If the listing says the piston moves, and you can see the nib looks ok, you are generally fine!

I've found the modern pens have a higher base price, but also have a ceiling that's well below retail, so while the vintage gold nibbed pens are the best value (and the prettiest!), it is possible to get a second-hand M800 for not much over £200 if you keep an eye out.

Oh, and check German eBay too.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Voiren For This Useful Post:

michaeldoleman (March 8th, 2019)

Thanks

I'm not sure I always agree that steel is better than gold, but the Pelikan M200 italic nibs (if you can find them on eBay) are delightful writers.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to amk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by michaeldoleman View Post
    ...So, my question, I suppose, is what does the price difference between the M20x pens and the Souveran get me? I mean, besides a steel vs. gold nib, that is?...
    Just self-perceived elegance. Others who would see you writing in a public place would never know the difference. Finishing is slightly less for the current M2xx, e.g.: the M2xx does not have the mold lines removed from the section like the M4xx (but then, neither does the much more expensive M700 - go figure!).

As mentioned above, I agree that Pelikan steel nibs are quite good, virtually indistinguishable from their current gold nibs insofar as performance on paper. A cost-effective strategy is to buy a used M2xx pen, and pick up used M2xx and M4xx nib/feed units. Decades-old gold nib/feed units from M250 and M4xx pens can be flexible and delightful to write with. When Richard Binder was still in business, I bought many spare "off-the-rack" custom-ground steel and gold nib units to swap into my M2xx and M4xx barrels.
    Last edited by FredRydr; March 7th, 2019 at 07:27 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Others who would see you writing in a public place would never know the difference.
    I would know. And I would be judging.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (March 7th, 2019)