So, as a still-somewhat-new fountain pen lover, I've been taking-in a lot of information, and developing a sense of what I like. Initially, my preferences have steered me toward Pilot pens and, particularly, really fine nibs. I have Custom 74 pens in F and EF, and love them both. I would like, however, to begin branching-out into other territories, and I think the next pen for me is going to be a Pelikan.

I'm having a bit of trouble, however, in deciphering the various Pelikan models. It seems to me that there is a pretty significant price gap between the M200/M205 pens, versus (what appears to me to be) the next level, the Souveran/M405. I can pick-up an M200 or M205 for around $130 to $170, while an M405 costs closer to $400.

My experience so far tells me that it usually makes more sense to spend as much as one can reasonably afford -- to a point. I.e., more is gained by getting the one pen that is maybe slightly a reach, rather than being somewhat less than satisfied with the pen that's more budget-minded. In some cases, though, it also seems that much of the price of the pen lies in "luxury" elements that are not altogether important to me. I'm mostly interested in the writing experience, and I prefer a simple/straight-forward aesthetic.

So, my question, I suppose, is what does the price difference between the M20x pens and the Souveran get me? I mean, besides a steel vs. gold nib, that is? Speaking of which, given that the M20x is a steel-nib pen, why does it command such a seemingly high price? Is it just because it's a Pelikan? It seems to me that similar quality steel-nibbed pens are priced in the $50 to $100 range. I mean, given that my Pilot 74 pens were $105 for a 14k gold nib, I'm wondering why I'd pay more than that for steel-nibbed pen...

I'm hoping someone can shed light on this issue for me, particularly with respect to whether or not it's truly worth (what to me is) the high price-point for the M405.

One of the main reasons I am thinking about a Pelikan, BTW, is that I really want a high-end piston-filler. After getting a couple TWSBI piston-fillers, I've decided I really like them over a cartridge/converter pen.