Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Montblanc Limited Editions

Thanks

Default 2019 Montblanc Limited Editions

A blog post in January discussed a sneak peak at Montblanc's 2019 special releases (https://ukfountainpens.com/2019/01/1...tion-releases/). This post didn't have any pictures but a thread on FPN around the same time did. There was a lot of discussion about the authenticity of the pictures, with many knowledgeable people saying the pens were fake. The OP was quite adamant that they were legitimate and didn't seem to have any connection with the other blog post. This suggests the pens are legit or both people were duped by the same source.

One reason why people claimed the pictures were fake was that the thread had not been taken down, which generally happens with pre-release pictures of Montblanc pens on FPN. Very shortly after this point was made the thread disappeared. This doesn't mean the pens were real but it did make it harder to look at the pictures. Fortunately, the internet has a long memory, and with a little googling I was able to find copies of the pictures. There may be one or two more pictures out there but I wasn't able to find them.

I don't want this to become a thread to complain about FPN's policies (that topic is covered elsewhere) but I did want to make the pictures available again in case others wanted to see and discuss them.

I've never owned a Montblanc LE pen, mainly because the people represented by those pens don't mean much to me. I feel a little different about Disney, in part because I use Disney case studies in my classes (I'm a management professor and think Disney the company is fascinating) and because our family has had some great vacations to the Disney parks (we don't watch many movies so I don't care much about the films).
    When I heard Montblanc would release a Disney pen I was excited but the picture did not inspire me–it doesn't feel like the pens capture Disney. Obviously these could be fakes or prototypes and the final versions will look different (or better pictures will show more details) but for now I'm disappointed. Namiki and Colibri have both released Disney/Mickey Mouse fountain pens that seem more interesting and true to Walt Disney.

According to the blog, we should see the Hardian pen in April and Kipling in July. I think the Great Character pens are released later in the year so it will be a while before we get more information on the Disney pen (assuming any of these are real).

Anyways, I'm curious to hear other people's thoughts and to make the pictures readily available on the internet again. Hopefully someone has more pictures or information about these pens and is willing to share.

The pens:
    Writer's Edition – Rudyard Kipling
    c6CKcQH_d.jpg

Kipling and Patron of the Arts – Hardian Kipling LE
    dNvSKz7_d.jpg

Great Character – Walt Disney
    ZJSKBUU_d.jpg
    Last edited by mulrich; April 9th, 2019 at 11:18 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mulrich For This Useful Post:

ilanz (June 17th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

Default Re: 2019 Montblanc Limited Editions

No. No! Has Franklin Mint bought Montblanc?
    Last edited by FredRydr; March 9th, 2019 at 04:04 AM. Reason: added link

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

fountainpagan (March 7th, 2019), Lady Onogaro (April 9th, 2019), Robert (April 2nd, 2019), Zisi (June 3rd, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

I agree with Fred. I don't like anything that I see in those pictures.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Their Limited Editions are uglier and uglier as years pass.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to fountainpagan For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (April 9th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpagan View Post
    This does seem to be true, but I don't know why nor do I understand why it would happen. Maybe more people are buying their pens as collectors items rather than writing instruments?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Cyril (November 10th, 2019), Lady Onogaro (April 9th, 2019)

Thanks

The blog on UKfountainpens.com is mine. It was based on seeing quite a lot of pictures, including dates and prices – so I'm fairly confident that I wasn't duped. I have since chatted to ambassadors in my local boutique who confirmed details that I included. The pictures that Mulrich posted in this thread are *not* the same pictures that I based my post on, but they show exactly the same pen designs.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eciton For This Useful Post:

AndyLogan (March 13th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fountainpagan View Post
    This does seem to be true, but I don't know why nor do I understand why it would happen. Maybe more people are buying their pens as collectors items rather than writing instruments?
    I know someone who buys them to use as writing instruments. I have even commented that he is scratching these things by keeping them in a glass jar on his desk, or bouncing around together in a plastic bag. He put me right in my place by telling me they were his and he could do whatever he liked with them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eciton View Post
    The blog on UKfountainpens.com is mine. It was based on seeing quite a lot of pictures, including dates and prices – so I'm fairly confident that I wasn't duped. I have since chatted to ambassadors in my local boutique who confirmed details that I included. The pictures that Mulrich posted in this thread are *not* the same pictures that I based my post on, but they show exactly the same pen designs.
    Thanks for chiming in. I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures of each of these as they near release.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mulrich For This Useful Post:

AndyLogan (March 13th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,121 Times in 426 Posts

ROFL!

"...and an edition of the 149 with a flex nib — 890 euros, also in September. I think a lot of people in the real world will be excited about this, and a lot of people on FPN will grumble and say that everyone should just look for a mid-1970s 149 with a ski-slope ebonite feed or that you should buy a 1940s Geha German school pen from eBay for 36 pence that does demi-semi-super-mega-wet-noodle-flex… Christ, I hate that place sometimes."

All the Best.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

AndyLogan (March 13th, 2019), BlkWhiteFilmPix (March 8th, 2019), Chrissy (August 20th, 2019), fountainpagan (August 27th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    ROFL!

"...and an edition of the 149 with a flex nib — 890 euros, also in September. I think a lot of people in the real world will be excited about this, and a lot of people on FPN will grumble and say that everyone should just look for a mid-1970s 149 with a ski-slope ebonite feed or that you should buy a 1940s Geha German school pen from eBay for 36 pence that does demi-semi-super-mega-wet-noodle-flex… Christ, I hate that place sometimes."

All the Best.
    I hoped somebody here would find that funny!

Thanks

La Couronne is now selling ink associated with a Hadrian PoA pen, so the rumors are getting some confirmation.

https://www.lacouronneducomte.nl/web...n-p-11883.html

Thanks

A couple of years ago I was fortunate enough to find a used Jules Verne fountain pen. I bought that LE because Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea was one of my favorite books as a kid, and to write with it.

I've even carried it around in my shirt pocket during the day once or twice.
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

Indiana Jones used a notebook in the map room, not an app.

www.bobsoltys.net/fountainpens

Thanks

FWIW, neither the POA Hadrian 4810 or 888 that was released look like the pictures above. Perhaps a good bit of counter messaging from MB?

Thanks

That gives me a little hope that the Disney pen will look better than the pictures above.

I like the official Hadrian pens and they are totally different than what was shown in the pictures (maybe the picture was mislabeled?).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mulrich View Post
    That gives me a little hope that the Disney pen will look better than the pictures above.

I like the official Hadrian pens and they are totally different than what was shown in the pictures (maybe the picture was mislabeled?).
    Looking at the above pictures again, I'm pretty sure I misidentified the pen in the second picture as Hadrian when it was actually the LE Kipling. I remember the original discussion about the Hardian talked about the Starbucks-like image on the pen which matches the recently released pen but not the above picture. My efforts to uncover the original photos apparently missed those of the Hadrian models.
    So my hopes of a different Disney model are dashed.

Thanks

There is a splendid new rouge&noir variant coming (from looking at a dealer catalog)

Thanks

A 149 with flex nib? Limited or normal production run?

Thanks

Thanks for the great Pic's. Both series reveal more details in person.

Thanks

I found another image of the Disney LE pen.
    another disney.jpg
    I also spoke to a MB sales associate who showed me an official marketing picture of the pen. She said the barrel is more navy blue than black.

Thanks

Sorry but no. I still don't like all of that bling. It just doesn't all seem to sit together well as one pen and looks more like something made from several ideas.

Why does there have to be a big step where the cap fits onto the barrel and why does the cap look like it belongs to a completely different pen?

Hadrian (red) and Kipling (khaki) inks are definitely available. They are even on the web-site.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (August 20th, 2019)