Thread: Frankenpen claim.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Frankenpen claim.

Monsters everywhere
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; May 13th, 2022 at 02:45 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,642 Times in 1,129 Posts

Default Re: Frankenpen claim.

Looks a lot like a Jinhao X450 with a Zebra G, as you say.

Can't see the video (not on FaceBook). A better image of the nib, from the StoneGraph site:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,424 Times in 1,716 Posts

You can buy that pen for a couple bucks elsewhere. Same thing for the nib.... and the swap is not difficult. So, yes, I did it myself. I didn't use mine much. Too heavy.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

I have one like that, but I think I paid about $8 and about 15 minutes of time to make it work. I'll sell mine for $20 if anyone wants it

Thanks
    Thanked 3,424 Times in 1,716 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    The FB advertiser has now told me:

Executive Vibe Hi David, I think my colleague misunderstood your question. Yes it is the gold Zebra G Nib, but we customize the body and hand assembled it ourselves.

Our customers love it, but it's still a personal choice. You can try here if you are interested.

Wonder how exactly they customise the body.
    Same here. Those are all stock colors.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

I never try this as trying dip pen nibs on fountain pens is like using a disposable pen.
    I had watsted 4-5 Jinhao pens 450 and 750/ 156 and some good dip pens nibs Leonardo Ef/ Monga/ Thachicawa /Zebra. I tried all the ways.
    As I use dip pens I thought to try when I have seen on the Utube.
    Some nibs got corroded faster as the dip pen nibs are meant to be used and after use washes the ink and dry completely from any humid and water before putting away. If not the nib will develop to rust because of the ink and it's components.
    So all my pens were broken from the holder when I tried to remove the nibs and the holder and feed were stuck with rust broked from the fragile sealing of these Chinese pens.
    It was a lesson for me and Dip pen nibs are only good with the pen holders as they can clean and dry by removing after every use.
    Even the dip pen nibs doesn't last longer on a hoder as the tynes get ware- out faster depending on how often they are used, so it is not a practical idea to use dip nibs on fountain pens.
    But thers's one paticular pen developped on this concept and that pen takes easily a Dip pen nib (Zebra G EX.) and can remove the nib easily and it takes a standered fountain pen nib. So with a cost of replacing dip nibs for rusting nibs , this is an option for using a flex nib to write calligraphy with a Fountain pen. Link to these pens desideratapens.com https://www.desideratapens.com
    Last edited by Cyril; March 15th, 2019 at 08:00 PM.

Thanks

The pen is very nice they use the Titanium plated version of the nib, they've widened the ink channel of the feed to allow more ink flow. This is a difficult adjustment because if you make the ink flow too much the line no longer is XXF but if you don't open it for more flow, you will have ink starvation frequently. This is done correctly, and ornamental penmanship can be done but during the periods where ink requirements are greatest, you MUST slow down, or you will railroad the nib and dry out the feed and thus the nib. If you slow WAY down during swells it will keep up, and the hairlines will be XXXF. Users understandably either understand this, or they don't, and if they don't understand, they're disappointed in the pen. By slowing your writing speed down during swells, you can get XXXF to BBBB range. I recommend this because they've got it correct. The feed is what has been customized and they did an excellent job, There's no mention of nib replacement, but even the Titanium version of the nib will need replacement. User satisfaction could be increased greatly by instructions mentioning slowing down during swells, removal of feed and nib, cleaning these, and eventual replacement of Nikko G titanium plated nib.
    Last edited by djringjr; March 16th, 2019 at 08:50 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to djringjr For This Useful Post:

Robalone (February 27th, 2022)

Thanks

Hello All;

I'm just getting back into fountain pens after not using them since High School; I graduated in 1975 so it's been awhile. I started with the Pilot Varsity disposables and I bought two more Pilot pens and they seem to be doing a good job. I bought an Executive Vibe pen and was instantly dissatisfied. The pen is scratchy and doesn't write smoothly and I've followed all the instructions in the videos as far as priming goes, and I still cannot get it to write well. After I contacted the company and did more research, it became apparent this pen is pretty much junk. I opened a PayPal claim after getting stonewalled by the company, but it hasn't been resolved yet. I have a feeling I'm stuck with it. My questions are: Is there any way to make this pen usable? Is the Arron Pen Ink I bought with it any good for use in other pens? Thanks; Steve

Thanks

Normally these pens cost under ten dollars with a nib which does not flex, but does write. I am not saying they never need an initial flushing or a little nib adjustment, but it is all within the bounds of reason, in my experience, and I have had many Jinhao pens, including the model this is based on.

The pen takes a number six nib. The ones from Fountain pen revolution do not always fit, but I have one from Goulet which fits fine in the 750 which takes the same nibs as the 450, (this pen body is a 450) so if you wanted to just put in a nib that worked, you could try getting a cheap nib on Ebay or a nicer nib from Goulet or any of the other pen companies that seem to have the same nibs with different logos on them.

If they have indeed modified the feed, then it may be too wet for a regular nib - but you can also get the Jinhao feeds, I think.

I say experiment on it to your heart's content. Eventually you will probably get something to work. I am not a flex genius, but there are plenty of people on here who might be able to tell you something about how to get this pen fitted up with a flex nib that will actually work for you.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scrivelry For This Useful Post:

Robalone (February 27th, 2022), Sleigh (February 26th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sleigh View Post
    Hello All;

I'm just getting back into fountain pens after not using them since High School; I graduated in 1975 so it's been awhile. I started with the Pilot Varsity disposables and I bought two more Pilot pens and they seem to be doing a good job. I bought an Executive Vibe pen and was instantly dissatisfied. The pen is scratchy and doesn't write smoothly and I've followed all the instructions in the videos as far as priming goes, and I still cannot get it to write well. After I contacted the company and did more research, it became apparent this pen is pretty much junk. I opened a PayPal claim after getting stonewalled by the company, but it hasn't been resolved yet. I have a feeling I'm stuck with it. My questions are: Is there any way to make this pen usable? Is the Arron Pen Ink I bought with it any good for use in other pens? Thanks; Steve
    Would probably have better luck opening your own thread for a question unrelated to the topic.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

Sleigh (February 28th, 2022)