Thread: Fixing Hairline Crack Pilot Custom 823

Thanks

Default Fixing Hairline Crack Pilot Custom 823

This is my first post here though I've been reading for years. Hope someone can help. I have a Pilot Custom 823 that has a hairline crack going across almost the entire thread. Is there glue or some kind of resin I can use to seal it? The pen is unusable like this and I love this pen. I don't care if putting a sealant on the crack makes the pen unattractive -- I love this pen for the quality so fixing it is my primary concern. Thank you for any help you can give me.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,066 Times in 4,019 Posts

Default Re: Fixing Hairline Crack Pilot Custom 823

Well, it is hard to be definitive without photos. That said... "across... the... thread". Does it go across the pen, parallel to the threads, or does it go in a line from nib to end of barrel, direction-wise? It's a very bad place for a crack because of the stresses. No solvent or plastic welding material will hold for any real length of time. IF the crack goes from tip to end direction, you might have some luck with the product called Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure. It is a thin sealant used in maritime applications, and is almost as thin as water. A small amount is applied and the crack will suck it in. Repeated applications until no more goes in and then curing for 2-3 days. That might be your only hope, otherwise you should write Pilot about a replacement barrel.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 10,453 Times in 4,002 Posts

I remember writing a post mentioning Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure and Ron Zorn said it has no strength at all, so it probably won't hold threads closed.

I wonder if something like a 2 part epoxy adhesive will have the best chance assuming the crack is vertical.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I remember writing a post mentioning Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure and Ron Zorn said it has no strength at all, so it probably won't hold threads closed.

I wonder if something like a 2 part epoxy adhesive will have the best chance assuming the crack is vertical.
    I agree with the former statement: it is a sealant, not a glue or adhesive. It would only assist in the event of a crack that did not 'open and close' or have any movement. As to the former, the problem is that there is simply not enough surface area for a strong bond - even solvent welding a crack in the threaded area is not promising and trying to do so would also most certainly muck up the threads.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

I'm trying to attach a photo I just took, but this is my first time posting this, so not having an easy time. The hairline crack goes across the threads, not with them. This is so depressing -- this wasn't a cheap pen and I have no idea how it cracked because I baby my pens.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jacquelinezr For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (March 13th, 2019)

Thanks

Well, here's the link to the photo. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hI...1kiR-0h2Lh2VJK

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jacquelinezr For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (March 13th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jacquelinezr View Post
    Well, here's the link to the photo. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hI...1kiR-0h2Lh2VJK
    Oh, man, that is not happy. I think it is folly to pursue what might have caused a crack like that. It would be awfully good if someone with a lot of experience in this kind of work could comment. I might suggest that if you aren't a member of the Fountain Pen Network (sorry, folks), you consider creating an account there and then post this in the Repair forum along with the photo, specifically asking if Ron Zorn would weigh in on the topic (he moderates that forum). The only other thing would be to consider writing him at his business, Main Street Pens.

Best of luck!

~ Benjamin Franklin