Thread: Introducing Lamy Agate

Thanks

Default Introducing Lamy Agate

For a long time now I haven't been planning to buy any new inks. I already have too many and some are impatiently waiting their turn. Yet every time I'm tempted and, even worse, I succumb to the temptation. The latest instance was at a local stationer's, where I came across the new Lamy Crystal Inks. Two of them appealed too much to me to be ignored, so now I have too many blues and greys in my collection. On the positive side, I am able to compare inks and improve the matches between pens, inks and paper sorts.

Lamy Agate has since become my favourite grey ink, surpassing Diamine Silver Fox. Its strong points are shading and improving the behaviour of a rather temperamental Lamy 2000 with an OB nib.

Lamy Agate.jpg

The scan came out quite true. On my computer screen, the colours come very close to what I see on paper.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to a_v_l For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (March 17th, 2019), calamus (March 17th, 2019), carlos.q (March 17th, 2019), Jeph (March 17th, 2019), junglejim (March 17th, 2019), Marsilius (January 18th, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (March 19th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Default Re: Introducing Lamy Agate

That's a really cool grey! The shading is amazing.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

calamus (March 17th, 2019)

Thanks

Waterproofness is not among my priorities concerning inks for the fundamental reason that paper, the carrier of even the most waterproof ink, tends to be quite fragile itself. Nevertheless, having read somewhere that some of the Crystal Inks were waterproof, I let the tap run over the sheet for over a minute. Despite being rather light, Agate remained legible, similarly to the other inks, except Earl Grey. Interestingly, the 160g paper didn't suffer much damage from the water.

Lamy Agate_washed.jpg

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to a_v_l For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (March 17th, 2019), azkid (March 17th, 2019), calamus (March 17th, 2019), Lloyd (March 17th, 2019)

Thanks

Nice reviews. I especially appreciate the water resistance tests. To be honest, I was skeptical about these new Lamy Crystal inks, but the two you reviewed both seem very nice. Maybe Lamy got a lineup of winners?