Thread: Opus 88 Opinions

Thanks

Default Opus 88 Opinions

Does anyone have any particular observations regarding Opus 88 pens? They look intriguing to me, as I am curious to try an eye-dropper-fill pen. For some reason, though, they just look like they are a little over-priced for what they are. I also don't see a lot of difference (other than look) between the different models available. Given that other pens on my wish list include a Pilot Heritage 92 and a Pelikan M205, though, I'm hard-pressed to think about spending $100+ on a pen that, to me, looks to be in the same general quality range with much less expensive choices. Or... perhaps I'm totally off-base. If you have experience with any of the Opus 88 models, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks

Default Re: Opus 88 Opinions

Quote Originally Posted by michaeldoleman View Post
    Does anyone have any particular observations regarding Opus 88 pens? They look intriguing to me, as I am curious to try an eye-dropper-fill pen. For some reason, though, they just look like they are a little over-priced for what they are. I also don't see a lot of difference (other than look) between the different models available. Given that other pens on my wish list include a Pilot Heritage 92 and a Pelikan M205, though, I'm hard-pressed to think about spending $100+ on a pen that, to me, looks to be in the same general quality range with much less expensive choices. Or... perhaps I'm totally off-base. If you have experience with any of the Opus 88 models, I'd love to hear about it.
    Hi,
    It is a nice filling system. The pen it's OK but it's quite expensive for the quality.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 Pro using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to teodormircea For This Useful Post:

michaeldoleman (March 21st, 2019)

Thanks

Great pen if you can handle the 3 to 4 turns to uncap (I like the extra security on eyedroppers).

Pros: size, capacity, ability to regulate flow, fit/finish, takes jowo #6 (but with flex nib factory can get bocks fitted in there easily)

Cons: material is just ok, ink splatter in cap would bother people with OCD, price (I bought my used in near mint condition for 90-100ish).

If you are into(or want to try) larger sized pens, high capacity, demonstrators or eyedroppers this thing is awesome. If you are looking for a certain material (ebonite or nice acrylic) to house a jowo maybe look elsewhere.

In my experience eyedropper pens work the best can this one maximizes ink flow regulation, doesn’t burp and can be “shut off”. I actually have an ebonite section in mine housing an m800 nib (best of everything for me).

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bold2013 For This Useful Post:

michaeldoleman (March 22nd, 2019), peroride (April 20th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 695 Posts

A bit larger than I like posted, and I much prefer to write with a cap posted. And it's a bit fatter than I find ideal. I knew I prefer smaller pens when I bought this, but I was intrigued.

Nib is okay, nothing special. I got the fine, but with this particular nib, I might have been happier with the medium. Not going to buy another to find out.

I don't mind either the extra turns on the cap, or the occasional necessity of using the vent to get the ink flowing again, but the combination of the two makes this less than ideal as a work pen; too much time fiddling with one or the other.

Well made, and holds a lot of ink. I did get it at a discount when it first came out, $79.05 with some deal they had that day. Of the pens that I own, it's competing with quite a few others that I'd rather be using at any given moment, but I have had it inked a couple of times, and will probably do so again. Someone with different tastes or fewer pens might like it quite a lot.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaputnik For This Useful Post:

michaeldoleman (March 22nd, 2019)

Thanks

It's interesting that what I'm finding is many pens which occupy the retail pricing slot of around $100 to $125, or so, are not really any better than pens which sit at around half that much, or even less. From what I'm hearing so far, it seems like the Opus 88 pens fit right into that model. It would be kinda fun to use an eyedropper-fill pen, but I don't think I'm going to drop nearly as much money on one, as for something like a Pelikan M205.

Thanks

I have an OMAR, which in the UK is close to £20 more than the Demonstrator. I like it but if you feel the price is high for the regular models this will seem expensive. Funny enough I actually posted my review about 4 hours ago - so if you're interested you can read it here.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dapprman For This Useful Post:

Kaputnik (March 22nd, 2019), michaeldoleman (March 23rd, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dapprman View Post
    I have an OMAR, which in the UK is close to £20 more than the Demonstrator. I like it but if you feel the price is high for the regular models this will seem expensive. Funny enough I actually posted my review about 4 hours ago - so if you're interested you can read it here.
    That is a VERY thorough review. Thanks for all that work.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

michaeldoleman (March 23rd, 2019)

Thanks

There are several sizes and what works for some doesn't for others as we all know.

The Koloro is somewhat smaller than the demonstrator and the OMAR. I find it to be a really comfortable pen to use. I put in a #5 cursive italic and it is one of my favorite pens.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ted A For This Useful Post:

michaeldoleman (March 25th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 237 Posts

I liked the look of the Koloro - may well buy with a show discount (had spent most of my money already when I tried them!)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Voiren For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

I have the demonstrator and the Omar. I really like them--particularly the demonstrator.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post: