Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Leonardo Officina Italiana - Momento Zero

Thanks
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 791 Posts

Default Re: Leonardo Officina Italiana - Momento Zero

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaPens View Post
    Purple ebonite? Nice! Where did you find this beauty?
    The purple ebonite is a special edition made for Penchalet:

https://www.penchalet.com/fine_pens/...ntain_pen.html

Just checked the site and they are all sold out!
    Last edited by carlos.q; July 27th, 2020 at 04:13 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 791 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    I had been holding back on buying a Momento Zero (or any other pen) but the fact that this one was purple ebonite finally won me over. It is a limited edition numbered 020/250 which is way cool.

That's purty!

You mentioned M800 size - is your purple MZ a Grande model?
    Thank you! No this is the regular sized Momento Zero. The Grande model must be huge!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post

Thank you! No this is the regular sized Momento Zero. The Grande model must be huge!
    Good to know! I gave been drooling over the Hawaii, and I am not ready to pay for the Grande. LOL

Thanks

All,

What's the recommended nib size on these MZ pens?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

All,

What's the recommended nib size on these MZ pens?
    Depends one what kind of line you want to put down! I've got an F, M and an M that was ground to an italic. These all happen to be steel nibs, but I am going on the assumption that the gold nibs are identical or close. They match the European model of line width, which is to say that they are a bit wider than the same nib designation in a Japanese nib. I only have three at the moment, but all wrote well upon arrival.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

If you don't mind the question, who did the italic grind? And what are the writing characteristics (width, sharpness) of this grind? Okay, that's two questions (there's a sale on!). Asking for a friend.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    They match the European model of line width, which is to say that they are a bit wider than the same nib designation in a Japanese nib. I only have three at the moment, but all wrote well upon arrival.
    That's the info I was seeking, thanks! Just wanted to know if they write extra wet, like a Pelikan. That sort of thing. Sounds like it's as simple as whether I like F or M, etc. Good, good.

Thanks

They match the European model of line width, which is to say that they are a bit wider than the same nib designation in a Japanese nib. I only have three at the moment, but all wrote well upon arrival.
    That's the info I was seeking, thanks! Just wanted to know if they write extra wet, like a Pelikan. That sort of thing. Sounds like it's as simple as whether I like F or M, etc. Good, good.
    With such a small sample set, I hate to make broad statements. The F nib was certainly not a real wet writer. The M had what I would consider a very normal flow, plenty of ink. The italic is quite wet but I don't know if that is how the pen was set up, the effect of the grind (which happened on the spot before I had even inked the pen) or (maybe most likely) that it has an ebonite feed.

I wish I could give you a drop-dead playbook. Honestly, if you really want to know these kind of things ahead of time, I would check out either the LOI threads on FPN (I believe the one with the most traffic is people posting photos of their pens, but then discuss them) or the dedicated LOI group on Facebook. Lots of people who have significant LOI collections and a lot of pens and reports on them.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

NumberSix (July 27th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    If you don't mind the question, who did the italic grind? And what are the writing characteristics (width, sharpness) of this grind?
    Mike Masuyama at the LAPS. He has done a number of nibs for me and this was a fluke because a friend's husband decided he didn't need anything done and gave me his appointment. Mike did an italic of about 0.7mm with is my fave zone, very good line variation but no sharp edges (important for LH writers). Always the best to have it done in realtime and hand the pen back and forth, but this guy nails it first time anyway. Fairly wet writer which may be due to the ebonite feed in this model. Tell your friend.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Would you, in your vast experience, class it as a cursive italic then? As these things go. Will tell my friend... as soon as I find one.

Thanks

I just received a blue Moonman M800, and it writes like garbage. I am sending it back to amazon as defective.

But the pen design sold me finally into taking the plunge on the Momento Zero Blue Hawaii I have been wanting for awhile. The Pen Chalet 15% FPDay coupon is still working, and that ends up being the only color MZ they still have in stock!

So it's ordered now, with medium nib.

(I also went on Penrealm and ordered a bottle of the Leonardo "Turquoise Hawaii" ink.

[my second Italian pen ordered this FPDay weekend. (Ordered a clear Pineider Avatar UR on Friday)

Thanks

Supposedly those nib issues with the Momento Zeros were confined to the early days, and it sounds like you were sadly included in that batch. You've definitely not had the best of experiences with those pens, have you?

Maybe I will try to sort out this M800's nib, too. It really is lovely

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

I just received a blue Moonman M800, and it writes like garbage. I am sending it back to amazon as defective.

But the pen design sold me finally into taking the plunge on the Momento Zero Blue Hawaii I have been wanting for awhile. The Pen Chalet 15% FPDay coupon is still working, and that ends up being the only color MZ they still have in stock!

So it's ordered now, with medium nib.

(I also went on Penrealm and ordered a bottle of the Leonardo "Turquoise Hawaii" ink.

[my second Italian pen ordered this FPDay weekend. (Ordered a clear Pineider Avatar UR on Friday)
    You don't have to buy a Moonman pen that is fitted with a Moonman nib if you don't want a fine nib. I have bought two Moonman C2 pens that both came fitted with Jinhao M nibs from the same Japanese seller on ebay. He even included the swapped out Moonman F nib with the second pen that I bought. Both of my Jinhao M nibs write beautifully smoothly and I'm very pleased with them.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 6,685 Times in 1,969 Posts

Finally I got myself one:

When I saw one for sale here, I can't help but to make an offer and the seller graciously accept. Unlike my other packages that are stuck (sometimes for days in a USPS facility only 20 minutes drive from where I live), this one arrived very quickly, packaged very securely.

But wait Will, what are you doing with a modern pen?

Well, for this one, I'd make an exception, because the shape and design reminded me of vintage pens, good ones. If this pen were designed following the "stick a swirly acrylic into the lathe, cut some threads and call it minimalism" -school of thought that I see so many of these days, I probably won't go for it.

But I think Leonardo put enough care and little touches to make this pen exceptional. Such as threaded converter "seat", nice placement of gold rings, engraved their brand on the handle of the converter, metal to acrylic threading on the blind cap (brave move).

In my hand, the pen is very balanced and I even love the blue/gray acrylic material. There's a no.240 engraved on the barrel, is this supposed to be some kind of limited edition, I don't know, and don't particularly care either. But overall, I like this pen quite a bit.

Now the question is: How long did it take me to decide to replac ... , I mean to *upgrade* the steel nib to a 14K vintage nib?

The answer, not long at all, a few pages into the writing test, I can't stop thinking how much nicer this pen will be with a similarly-sized vintage nib.

Out come the box where I put my *always too few* 14K nib collection, and after trying out a few, this one fits nicely. It's a springy (not flex) one where I still can get some nice line variations if I wanted to, something that the original nib can't do.

So in the end, this Leonardo has a new "heart", one that predates it probably close to a century or so.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (December 16th, 2020), Lady Onogaro (December 16th, 2020)

Thanks

Looks great, Will. I've actually enjoyed the steel nibs on my LOI pens, but your choice looks right at home. I really do think this small-ish company really cares about their products, and are doing very good work. Glad you joined the family!

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 6,685 Times in 1,969 Posts

Looks great, Will. I've actually enjoyed the steel nibs on my LOI pens, but your choice looks right at home. I really do think this small-ish company really cares about their products, and are doing very good work. Glad you joined the family!
    Jon, I didn't mean to imply that the steel nib is bad.

It's just this "obsession" that I have with vintage nibs.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Jon, I didn't mean to imply that the steel nib is bad.

It's just this "obsession" that I have with vintage nibs.
    Ahhh... I thought you were just being exceedingly diplomatic.

~ Benjamin Franklin

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

penwash (December 16th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

Supposedly those nib issues with the Momento Zeros were confined to the early days, and it sounds like you were sadly included in that batch. You've definitely not had the best of experiences with those pens, have you?

Maybe I will try to sort out this M800's nib, too. It really is lovely
    I got a Memento Zero Lavande with a stub nib and the thing wouldn't write. I recently saw that another friend of mine who also got a Leonardo with a stub nib had the same problem. I sent mine to Mark Bacas and he seemed to be able to fix the problem. I don't know what's going on with my friend's.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

penwash (December 20th, 2020)

Thanks

I ordered and received my first, maybe last Leonardo, Momento Zero Regular in Coral Red. The body is in a nicely made resin. It feels cold at first and warms up while you write, which is nice.
    The shiny veneered red is stunning.
    I chose a Medium steel nib, the only one available.
    Compared to Ranga's medium nibs I have, but JoWo, this is more like a fine nib.
    Before inking it I flushed the nib and feed, so the whole section, with plain water and all went well.
    The nib, somebody told me Leonardo uses Bock' s, is very stiff but at least is smooth on the Rhodia pages I'm using and doesn't scratch.
    I have to say that I like it, although the Ranga ebonite pens with gold JoWo nibs are more flexible and real medium nibs.
    I'm now alternating between Ranga and Leonardo in order to empy the converters, I'll have at least a few months of writing to do hahahaha !!

I bought it directly from Italy as I could not find any of the usual UK sellers I use that stocked it.
    Price was affordable, 112 Pounds. Ordered it on the 15th and arrived yesterday afternoon, very quick with UPS.
    The schock were the Custom duties, 70 Pounds. Never again I'll order from Italy directly.
    I told the seller to indicate the correct selling amount in the waybill and not a higher one, like she did, as Customs looks at waybill and not the invoice in the package.
    Interesting pen. Nice to look at and hold in my hand. Stiff nib. Maybe a broad nib would have been more appropriate
    HTH
    Last edited by MarcoA64; February 17th, 2021 at 09:06 AM.

Thanks

Following to my previous post I discovered an interesting feature of this pen.

So, there is no instruction booklet in the box so, just by chance, I discovered that you can unscrew the end bit of the barrell and you have access to the converter. This means that you can either ink the pen in the classic way, unscrew the barrell, immerse the section in the ink bottle and turn the converter or just remove the end of the barrell and ink it without having to take it apart. Cool. This is also why, and I thought about it, the converter is finished in polished aluminiium