Thread: Custom No Nonsense Old Timer

Thanks

Default Custom No Nonsense Old Timer

I like the No Nonsense Old Timer for its vintage look and use of relatively durable, modern plastic. The stock nib is decent, but I wanted an original 1920s-style Lifetime nib in the pen. After playing around, I got a 1920s Lifetime nib from a desk pen to work. For those interested in modifying the Old Timer to use a vintage nib, you may have luck with a nib from a broken-down 1920s desk pen, like this. I found later nibs from Balances, Touchdowns, etc. to be too thin/small.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ray-VIgo For This Useful Post:

azkid (March 25th, 2019), carlos.q (March 25th, 2019), countrydirt (March 25th, 2019), FredRydr (April 5th, 2019), Jon Szanto (March 25th, 2019), Lady Onogaro (March 25th, 2019)

Thanks

Default Re: Custom No Nonsense Old Timer

Very nice, Ray-VIgo! Thank you for posting. I've never thought of using an older Sheaffer nib in a NN or Vintage model. Great idea. Did you use the Vintage feed or an older one? Have you seen the Vintage models Ron Zorn has modified to resemble Connaisseurs? They are very cool. You would enjoy those. Have a great weekend. Best wishes, Barry

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Barry B. Gabay For This Useful Post:

Ray-VIgo (April 8th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Ray-Vigo,

I agree, nice job! I'm not familiar with the Old-Timer model, so I searched online images for a better look:

Quote Originally Posted by Barry B. Gabay View Post
    ...Have you seen the Vintage models Ron Zorn has modified to resemble Connaisseurs?
    Barry, what modifications did Ron make to these pens (if you know)?

Fred

P.S. Ray, I've been meaning to mention that I really like your Raleighs. I refurbished a few of them in the '60s-'70s, and I still move my ol' Brooks B72 from new bike to newer bike.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Ray-VIgo (April 8th, 2019)

Thanks

Hi Fred,

Ron adds a dome to cap & barrel ends, so the pens look just like Connaissuers. He has also made a stunning orange one too from the very early NN Guys & Dolls series. Below is a link to a seemingly comprehensive Connaisseur reference chart which actually includes Vintage models with the domes like Connaisseurs. I have never seen those advertised or in Sheaffer literature.
    Perhaps just for UK.

Thanks for the photo.

Not at Atlanta show?
    Enjoy your weekend.
    Best wishes,
    Barry

http://www.sheaffertarga.com/Connais...ce%20list.html
    Last edited by Barry B. Gabay; April 5th, 2019 at 10:40 AM. Reason: forgot a sentence

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Barry B. Gabay View Post
    Very nice, Ray-VIgo! Thank you for posting. I've never thought of using an older Sheaffer nib in a NN or Vintage model. Great idea. Did you use the Vintage feed or an older one? Have you seen the Vintage models Ron Zorn has modified to resemble Connaisseurs? They are very cool. You would enjoy those. Have a great weekend. Best wishes, Barry
    It ended up being a straight nib swap. I used a regular No Nonsense feed and section. I can still use cartridges or the squeeze converter. Ron knows these pens pretty well and he rightly pointed out that the steel No Nonsense nibs are pretty thick in terms of metal thickness compared to a 14k nib. To make up for the 14k nib being thinner, a larger nib was needed. It just barely fits into the inner cap - I don't think I could go any bigger and still keep a proper fit on the cap side of things. But it did work out and it really goes well with the 1910s-20s vibe of the Old Timer.