Thread: Aurora 88P question

Thanks

Question Aurora 88P question

I've been fortunate to get my hands on a vintage Aurora 88P for next to nothing, and I love the way it writes. The piston works fine, and the seal is still good, which I have read can be an issue with some of these. The only problem is that I get ink oozing out around the top of the feed, just below the nib. No doubt why I got it for as little as I did.

I would love to use this as my daily pen, so I'd really like to fix this if I can.

Can anyone give me some insight into what might be causing this issue and what, if anything, I could do about it?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,714 Times in 1,973 Posts

Default Re: Aurora 88P question

Ink oozing out of the feed/nib is a sign that there is a way for air to enter the ink chamber.

The worst scenario that can happen is the existence of one or more cracks anywhere on the barrel or section. It can be just a tiny hairline crack but it is deep enough for air to get in. This is bad because this means you're looking for a replacement which is probably more difficult than just finding another 88P.

The better scenario is dried out thread sealant, or slowly leaking piston seals. For this, a service could be just what the pen needs.

If that pen hasn't been restored recently (seals replaced), it's worth it to have it looked at.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (April 2nd, 2019), Jon Szanto (April 1st, 2019)

Thanks

Thanks! I'm 99% sure it's never been restored. I'll be stoked if that fixes the problem.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

I concur with Will. It certainly can't hurt to have a qualified person do it up (Will?) and then you'll know for certain. I *love* my 88Ps.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (April 2nd, 2019)