Thread: New Wahl~Eversharp Skyliner 50 nib pics

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

Default New Wahl~Eversharp Skyliner 50 nib pics

So here are the requested shot of the nib on the new Wahl~Eversharp Skyliner 50 pens.

The first set is the standard nib you get with the pen. It's a Fine to Medium Semi-flex Rhodium plated stainless steel.

The Second set will be of the Fine-Medium Semi-flex ceramic coated gold plated stainless steel.

Thanks

Default Re: New Wahl~Eversharp Skyliner 50 nib pics

This is Second set of the Fine-Medium Semi-flex ceramic coated gold plated stainless steel.

Now that I posted them I see a little nib creap there and some at the base of the nib... sorry..

3. The Following User Says Thank You to earthdawn For This Useful Post:

drgoretex (May 30th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

So both are listed as semi-flex, do they feel the same to use? Is there a noticeable difference?
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks

Both nibs are great and flex about the same.
    The ceramic coated one is smoother. Now you could say it is just giving less feedback or its smother but it absolutely glides across the paper with a different & smoother feel.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

Was anyone else expecting 50 pictures of nibs?

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dannzeman For This Useful Post:

Annie (May 31st, 2013), earthdawn (May 29th, 2013), ethernautrix (May 31st, 2013), FarlezBarkley (November 19th, 2015), Jon Szanto (May 30th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Thanks for the pictures. It may sound strange, but I was expecting to see the ceramic coating. Well, something ceramic-y. It just looks like a gold-plated nib.

I so wanted to try these, but they weren't at the Chicago Pen Show. I hope they will be next year. With Dorics, too.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Yeah I'm waiting for the doric look pens, especially hoping for really pretty patterns.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by earthdawn View Post
    The ceramic coated one is smoother. Now you could say it is just giving less feedback or its smother but it absolutely glides across the paper with a different & smoother feel.
    So is the tipping coated too?
    ... Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working [Pablo Picasso] ...

Thanks

I really like my Skyliner 50 (and the 1957 Corvette model that came with it, of course. ) It has the stock Rhodium plated steel nib on it; I can't say I have been able to get any "semi-flex" out of it, but it is very smooth. I wouldn't mind trying out their new-fangled ceramic coated nibs, though.

Syd had said that they would be offering replacement nibs so you could get the ceramic coated nib instead of the steel, but I don't see place on the website where you could order one and the Skyliner page does not indicate that there is a nib choice. Did you put in a special order to get the ceramic coated nib, earthdawn?

I, too, look forward to what they come up with for their Doric pens; there was some supposition - rumors? - that they may well incorporate a modern version of a "vintage" fill system, like a lever filler, too, instead of the usual CC system, which I would prefer, just because....

Holly

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cedargirl View Post
    So is the tipping coated too?
    I believe so ... but Syd is best to answer the details of the coating.

Quote Originally Posted by OakIris View Post
    I really like my Skyliner 50 (and the 1957 Corvette model that came with it, of course. ) It has the stock Rhodium plated steel nib on it; I can't say I have been able to get any "semi-flex" out of it, but it is very smooth. I wouldn't mind trying out their new-fangled ceramic coated nibs, though.

Syd had said that they would be offering replacement nibs so you could get the ceramic coated nib instead of the steel, but I don't see place on the website where you could order one and the Skyliner page does not indicate that there is a nib choice. Did you put in a special order to get the ceramic coated nib, earthdawn?

I, too, look forward to what they come up with for their Doric pens; there was some supposition - rumors? - that they may well incorporate a modern version of a "vintage" fill system, like a lever filler, too, instead of the usual CC system, which I would prefer, just because....

Holly
    Yes I emailed Syd directly. I ordered the nib seperate after I got the pen. But if you want to swap out the nib for a ceramic one and upgrade that way just email Syd before you order and he will direct you on how to proceed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OakIris View Post

Holly
    Yes I emailed Syd directly. I ordered the nib seperate after I got the pen. But if you want to swap out the nib for a ceramic one and upgrade that way just email Syd before you order and he will direct you on how to proceed.
    Thanks, earthdawn! Eventually Syd and his partner might establish a "nibs for sale" page on the website; in the meantime, they seem very open to accepting and processing special orders, which is nice to see in a brand new company (old brand, new company?)

Holly