Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Comfort in a pen rut

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 695 Posts

Default Re: Comfort in a pen rut

Looking at my purchases spreadsheet, I see that my last fountain pen purchase was in January of 2018, a Wahl ringtop. It's a nice little pen that worked well after I put in a new sac, but it's competing with too many others to get much writing time now.

I don't know that I think of it as being in a rut, but I'm comfortable with what I have. Every now and then I think of another pen that would be nice to have, and it's hard to believe that I'll never buy another one, but there is so much variety in my current collection that I may indeed be finished. No reason to commit one way or the other.

As for selling my less frequently used pens, that would be a reasonable thing to do. A distaste for acting as a seller is my main reason for holding off. If there are any salesman genes in my family, they must have skipped a couple of generations.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaputnik For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (April 25th, 2019)

Thanks

I have had the same eight pens inked and in constant rotation for the last three months. It is the most stable I have been in a long time:

1. Maruzen Athena the Pen (vintage (1940s?) lever-filler, ef-f steel nib)
    2. KIM ACR ebonite eyedropper (smaller version, new, vintage no-name steel medium oblique nib)
    3. Franklin-Christoph Model 19 (a few years old, Jowo steel nib with a Masuyama needlepoint grind)
    4. Pilot 823 (new, 14k fine nib)
    5. Franklin-Christoph Intrinsic (new, Jowo steel nib with a Masuyama fine cursive italic grind)
    6. Pelikan Rappen (late 1930s?, 14k ef nib)
    7. Montblanc 344 (I don't know how old it is, 14k oblique medium nib)
    8. Omega safety pen (c. 1935, 14k ef-f nib)

I have not really strayed from these since early March. Maybe I am finally settling down?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mungmul For This Useful Post:

azkid (May 9th, 2019)

Thanks

I keep eight inked and rotate them. They are sentimental favorites because of long use or because of the source. All are excellent pens. I rarely use anything else.

Thanks

I've landed on a final lineup of 14 pens.

Generally, I'll have five or six inked at one time: three of four travel to work, the others I use at home.

This means I am able to rotate through the lineup with each fill, and every pen gets time in hand with no more than a couple of months in a drawer, so none feel like they are being ignored.

If I do feel the urge to pick up another, and at this point that seems doubtful, I'll let one of the others go to keep the number manageable (for me).