Thread: Waterman Pen - Model Ideas / Missing Cap Bands?

Thanks

Default Waterman Pen - Model Ideas / Missing Cap Bands?

I came across this old Waterman's pen in a bag of old pens I got a long time back. I had forgotten about it - I guess because it was missing cap bands. But it's otherwise all there - flex nib, red mottled hard rubber feed, etc. It's a rather nice blue color. It's about 5 1/16 inches long capped, standard girth. Black hard rubber section and working lever box/bar. White metal trim. Triple cap bands are missing - three very thin bands I would guess. Any idea what model it is? Any idea where I could get cap bands for it - either originals or a substitute that would fill in for the missing bands?

Thanks

20190419_230533 by sir mike 1983, on Flickr

Thanks
    Thanked 10,467 Times in 4,006 Posts

Default Re: Waterman Pen - Model Ideas / Missing Cap Bands?

First you need to source the replacement cap bands either from a donor pen, or by making them, or having them made from metal. Then you have to "swage" them into position.

Fountainbel posted a thread on the other place about a tool he made for the job
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Ray-VIgo (April 20th, 2019)

Thanks

Interestingly, I did get one response who noted that the Waterman offered pens with the cap having three channels lathed, but without any bands in the channels. It looks to my eye most like a Model 302 (Stalwart/Dauntless series), but most of those have a single or double band, not the three. I wonder if this might be a 302 with that optional three-channel but no bands set up. These later Watermans seem very hard to pin down in terms of what they are. The pen kind of reminds me of my Blue Esterbrook J - same kind of glossy (almost waxy) finish, nice color, and otherwise a very basic pen.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,518 Posts

I have seen photos of similar triple bandless cap Waterman pens in classified listings, which suggests some were shipped from the factory like this. Alas, I can offer no information.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Ray-VIgo (April 20th, 2019)