Thread: 1911L with Naginata Togi

Thanks

Default 1911L with Naginata Togi

Hi all,

I was offered a Sailor 1911L (normal black body, silver-coloured clip and finish) with an M-sized Naginata Togi nib.
    This is supposed to be a new product, and was offered for $300 (directly from Japan).
    The seller buys locally in Japan and ships internationally. It's not through eBay and I haven't purchased from him yet.

As I've seen Naginata-Tobi nibs running quite a premium on eBay ($700-800 with a 1911 body), I was wondering if you consider this price realistic.
    I'm just not in the mood to acquire a "plain" 1911L and then having to send it back etc.

Thanks for your input
    Borna

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Re: 1911L with Naginata Togi

IMHO a Sailor 1911L in black with chrome trim plus a medium Naginata Togi nib might look like a pen you might consider as a "plain" Sailor 1911L.

Just because it's a medium sized Naginata Togi nib, doesn't mean it will "leap out at you" as looking much different at first glance. A medium nib is really just a standard, easy, nib width.

SBRE Brown did a video review for this pen Here. Maybe look at that before you part with your money.
    Last edited by Chrissy; April 23rd, 2019 at 07:13 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

bebox (April 23rd, 2019)

Thanks

I'm not sure what you mean by "normal black body", and also by "new product" -- do you mean "brand new in box" or "newer generation"?

There are two generations of Sailor pens with specialty nibs. The old ones looked identical to the regular pens, and carried a variable surcharge based on how special (labor-intensive) the nib was. The new ones have a different cap band, different nib stamping, and are priced significantly higher, at least twice as much as the regular pens. Here is an explanation by Bruno Taut, with pictures. BTW, the entire Naginata series is worth a read.

With the announcement of the "new" specialty nib pricing, some sellers started charging extra for their remaining stock of the "old" Naginatas. Not all, however -- I got my Naginata Togi Medium for a bit less than 300 USD, post-announcement. If you are buying a previous generation pen, $300 for a brand new, factory sealed one doesn't seem too strange.

Finally, like Chrissy said, make sure you actually want it. If you block print, it's nice, and even nicer if you do it in all caps (taken from this Reddit thread). For Western cursive writing I find it kind of annoying -- too broad, and the line variation is lost. Some folks like it for sketching, just search on YouTube.
    Last edited by Ahriman4891; April 23rd, 2019 at 07:14 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahriman4891 For This Useful Post:

bebox (April 23rd, 2019)

Thanks

Thanks both for the replies.

The Link to Brunos blog was very interesting.
    As far as I understood, it's just a normal 1911L with Silver Trim and special nib, I don't think its one of the new models.

And yes, I do mostly print in all-caps. That's why I was looking for a Naginata Togi.
    Hadn't seen the Reddit link before (thanks), but it pretty much seals the deal for me.

Thanks again!

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Ahriman, Thanks for the Reddit link. I didn't think it looked like the printed page was done using a M nib.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

+1 for the Naginata-Togi - i rate it as the no.1 most must-have nib for any hand; personally, i would prefer an old model, and $300 is quite reasonable going by market valuation (but make sure you factor in import duties!).

One point, however, if the pen has silver (rhodium) trim, the nib should match i.e. be all rhodium, rather than two-tone or all gold.