Thread: First Optima or Another Nakaya

Thanks

Default First Optima or Another Nakaya

I'm not usually a fan of "what should I buy" posts, but I'm considering a choice with enough specificity that I feel sort of okay asking. I have two Nakayas, a Neo-Standard and a Naka-ai. I love everything about them - the urushi, the nibs, the size, the feel of the section, the looks, and the weight. I was saving up for another, but started thinking about the Optima. I've only had one Aurora before (an Ipsilon), but I keep reading posts from people who absolutely love their Optimas, and I'm curious. I'm a big fan of the Sailor Pro Gear (I have two), and my only gripe is that they could be just a touch bigger. I really like the flared section, and I love the look. KOP is an option, but I'm wondering if I'm missing out with the Aurora.

So the question: is the Optima really that good? Not that I doubt Aurora quality - I'm just trying to gauge the likelihood that I'll get one and wish I had gone for a Nakaya.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,321 Posts

Default Re: First Optima or Another Nakaya

What I like about Aurora is that they still make their own nibs, and use ebonite feeds. Ink capacity is generous, and I'm a fan of piston fillers. I also like that the nib units screw in like Pelikan.

That said, it's hard to beat Platinum/Nakaya for precise ink delivery and quality nibs.

I have a green Optima with two nibs (one M and one a stub/CI). I'd consider letting it go. PM me if you're interested.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,714 Times in 1,973 Posts

I can say positive things about both. But especially the Aurora. I owned several and my favorite is a plain black Optima from the 80's. The nib is 14K and it has such a nice spring to it that makes writing a pleasure. Plus the built quality and piston operation is top notch, easily in the same class as top tier Pelikan or Montblanc.

Nakaya is of course, a handcrafted artwork. But if we take that aside, the rest of the pens are just standard plain C/C with modern nibs that are not that remarkable.

So in terms of the quality of a fountain pen, I give Aurora higher mark than Nakaya, but as lacquered handmade items that happens to be a fountain pen, Nakaya wins.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

I have two Optima's an Africa edition and the 360 Monviso and I love them, my favourite pens.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,473 Times in 4,007 Posts

I have two Optimas, but they don't get the use they deserve. I find their nibs very hard and unresponsive, so regret buying my LE 365 Brown marbled pen.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

I used to have the Auroras in the picture below. The only one left is the sterling silver 80th Anniversary pen on the far right, which is not an Optima.

Meanwhile. my Nakaya collection has grown and grown. I have so many I sell my extras at two shows each year to help fund my purchase of still others. A recent Nakaya arrival (bottom photo) may be the most beautiful pen that I own and is my current favorite

Does that tell you how I feel?

Last edited by whichwatch; April 28th, 2019 at 08:24 AM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to whichwatch For This Useful Post:

bebox (April 28th, 2019), Lloyd (April 28th, 2019), Tiggercat (April 28th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whichwatch View Post
    Does that tell you how I feel?

Thank you. I value everyone's input, but to be honest, you were one of the ones I most hoped would chime in. I suspect my love of Nakaya is not quite as intense as yours, but it's certainly heading in that direction. (And yes, that Nakaya is stunning.)

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tiggercat; April 28th, 2019 at 03:07 PM.