Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sheaffer's before the fountain pens

Thanks

Default Sheaffer's before the fountain pens

During my research on Sheaffer's early years, I found documents from different backgrounds that helped me recompose and date his adventures, if not his life. I suppose the time has come to make them available to this Community and that is what I intend to do during the next few days.

In this press cut, consistent with what Walter tells us in his Life Story, I was able to verify the moment he moved and opened the jewelry and music store in Fort Madison that he had bought/barter at the end of April, 1906

Finding this helped me understand the business that Walter was involved in and how he maintained stores in other locations, such as Keokuk with W.L. Saunders, his brother-in-law (both married with Davis sisters)

Last edited by Ramón Campos; April 29th, 2019 at 10:02 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ramón Campos For This Useful Post:

catbert (April 29th, 2019), fountainpagan (April 29th, 2019), TSRodes (April 29th, 2019), welch (May 13th, 2019)

Thanks

Default Re: Sheaffer's before the fountain pens

The Fort Madison jewelry store was of both, jewelry, music instruments or sewing machines. One of the good moments of the investigation was when I found myself face to face with the name of the mercantile with which they developed their activity and of which I had never heard: Sheaffer Jewelry and Music Co. name that I found in a registry National Register of Historic Places as in a map of the time drawn up by a fire insurance company and in some advertisement.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ramón Campos For This Useful Post:

fountainpagan (April 29th, 2019), welch (May 13th, 2019)

Thanks

Sniffing the trail of the family of Nellie Davis, his first wife and mother of his children Craig and Clementine, I found this note of society about Walter's brother-in-law who introduced me to something unknown until then; that the Sheaffer's had a second store in Milton, about 25 km from Bloomfield.

Addendum.As a curiosity and to place ourselves in the times we are talking about, I will say that Walter's father-in-law, John Davis, was one of the pioneers of the county, and before dedicating himself to the commercialization and sale of harnesses, he worked as a sheriff

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ramón Campos For This Useful Post:

fountainpagan (April 29th, 2019), welch (May 13th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,761 Times in 2,500 Posts

That image is a single grain of salt. I put it here so that people may use it while viewing this thread. Mr. Campos, who also posts under the moniker "Lazard", has been known to post specious and fanciful versions of history, most often referring to the Sheaffer company/family, on numerous forums internationally. Many times a long thread will attract the attention of noted authorities in the field and through that attention the... less-than-waterproof evidence is shown to be just that. I don't know that this particular thread will go that direction but I feel it is worth noting for people not familiar with this history, and to take the thread along with the supplied image. Colorful does not equal accurate.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

azkid (May 1st, 2019), catbert (May 1st, 2019), Chrissy (May 6th, 2019), kirchh (May 3rd, 2019), welch (May 13th, 2019)

Thanks

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

At the end of 1909 Sheaffer and his brother-in-law W.L. Saunders dissolved the society of musical instruments (although in 1910 they follow both related in business) and everything indicates that the Keoukuk store was transferred and Saunders opened in Ottumwa from where both families came (in 1913 when Walter was already dedicated to the fountain pens he transferred the business and stock of Fort Madison jewelry & music store to his employee Lerche and his brother-in-law Saunders himself for $ 35,000)

Last edited by Ramón Campos; April 29th, 2019 at 01:11 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ramón Campos View Post
    ~ Benjamin Franklin
    Since it is *my* sig, you didn't need to remind either myself or anyone else. My only purpose was to highlight the fact that, by ample, ample evidence of past behavior, you are known to not merely alter the truth, but fabricate it. Since you don't post here usually, I felt it fair to mention this. Also, the experts in the field aren't regular posters on this much smaller site, so for those without deep historic knowledge of the brands it might be possible that - not seeing the counter-examples and arguments to your posts - they might just believe it without question. I suppose that might be the reason you have chosen to not post this on FPN. Have you posted this material on the Foro de Estilogrficas?

~ Benjamin Franklin

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (May 6th, 2019), silverlifter (April 29th, 2019)

Thanks

Some things that I discovered out about his father, Jacob Royer(1) Sheaffer, and their jewelry store in Bloomfield.

In contact with residents of Bloomfield and groups of friends of the History of the area I was able to locate 3 locations that the jewelery had and that I mark from 0 to 2, in chronological order in the following images coming from old postcards that I acquired already knowing the locations for place them exactly in the square and understand the habitat in which they evolved theimselves.

(1) As you know Walter imposed the second name of his father, Royer, to his firstborn Graig Royer Sheaffer.
    Last edited by Ramón Campos; April 29th, 2019 at 01:50 PM.

Thanks

In contact with residents of Bloomfield and groups of friends of the History of the area I was able to locate 3 locations that the jewelery had and that I mark from 0 to 2, in chronological order.

The location marked with 1 can be confirmed thanks to this Bloomfield business map circa 1880.

Last edited by Ramón Campos; May 1st, 2019 at 05:56 AM.

Thanks

Some pocket watches sold by the Sheaffer´s. About the couple of dozens that I have photographed in my files, by number, highlights the Hamilton with their fancy dials marketed with dials Harward Special private label. The pocket watches manufactured by Hampden, Illinois and others was marketed with dials Sheaffer Special private label.
    With relative chronological order their movements would be engraved as:
    1) J.R. Sheaffer - Bloomfield
    2) J.R. Sheaffer & Son - Bloomfield
    3) Sheaffer Special - Fort Madison & Bloomfield
    4) J.R. Sheaffer & Co -Bloomfield & Fort Madison
    5) Sheaffer Special -Bloomfield & Fort Madison

Last edited by Ramón Campos; May 3rd, 2019 at 05:52 AM.

Thanks

Interesting!

Who was Joe Kraker?

--Daniel
    “Every discussion which is made from an egoistic standpoint is corrupted from the start and cannot yield an absolutely sure conclusion. The ego puts its own interest first and twists every argument, word, even fact to suit that interest.”
    ― Paul Brunton, The Notebooks of Paul Brunton

Thanks

... the Hamilton with their fancy dials marketed with dials Harward Special private label.
    These fancy dials engraved as "Harward Special" is quite a challenge for me from I do not known who could be "Harward" and, if there was, what relationship could have with the Sheaffer's. My research took me to Leroy S. Harward, a clever Hawkeye born June 17, 1942 in Van Buren county, Iowa, who, in 1876 moved his stock goods from Floris -where he was established with his brother- to Bloomfield where he settled and made money. He was married June 14, 1866 to Miss M.E. Jay, a native Hawkeye too, and they had two children, Edgar L. and George D., but without that I could establish any relationship between both families despite being both merchandiser and residents in Bloomfield a small population of just 2,500 inhabitants in those years.

This research were stopped there, in this dead way, so I reflect these data here in case someone Harward of Davis county can read these paragraphs and establish the possible relationship, if there is, between Sheaffer and Harward.
    Last edited by Ramón Campos; May 5th, 2019 at 04:32 AM.

Thanks

Is Ramon Campos also known as Bloomfield?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    I got a kick out of Bloomfield's remark "I appreciate your comments even if they are speculative." I acknowledge there might be some ESL at work, but Bloomfield's parent company must list Speculation as their #1 product.
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; May 5th, 2019 at 09:02 PM.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

I´m not the first in this consideration; the Sheaffer-Harward´s(1) track about possible relation with Leroy S. Harward was already considered and followed by someone as thoughtful and wise as Michael Fultz writing instrument historian.

(1) In his Life Story, Walter Sheaffer seems to indicateto us that Hamilton watches were incorporated into his jewelry shortly after he joined the Bloomfield jewelry store in 1888, but the truth is that it had to be quite later because Hamilton Watch Co. was incorporated in 1892 and produced their first watch in 1893 so that, necessarily, we have to consider the latter date for the incorporation of Hamilton´s pocket watches into the Sheaffer 's jewelry catalog.

Last edited by Ramón Campos; May 6th, 2019 at 03:14 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kirchh View Post
    Interesting!

Who was Joe Kraker?

--Daniel
    Hi Daniel, do you refer to this particular Joseph Kraker allegedly related with the Sheaffer Pen Co. establishment?

Last edited by Ramón Campos; May 6th, 2019 at 11:06 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    I got a kick out of Bloomfield's remark "I appreciate your comments even if they are speculative." I acknowledge there might be some ESL at work, but Bloomfield's parent company must list Speculation as their #1 product.
    Speculation on my part is my question was missed and not simply ignored.

Thanks

Walter was very industrious so he could combine the sale of jewelery, silverware, sewing machines or move heavy pianos on muddy or icy roads as these were the late nineteenth century or, as we will see in subsequent posts, with the raising and sale of poultry ... but also he found time for social relationships and entertainment as here where we see him organizing the First Grand Ball given by the Bloomfield Cuadrilla Band in 1891.

Here is a wallpaper that I composed with the cover of this invitation, a Sheaffer-Harward Special pocket watch and jewelry of the time. If you are interested in this wallpaper you can contact me through PM messenger and I will send you the jpg. file to print in 90 x 60 cm format

Last edited by Ramón Campos; May 9th, 2019 at 04:15 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kirchh View Post
    Interesting!

Who was Joe Kraker?

--Daniel
    Hi Daniel, do you refer to this particular Joseph Kraker allegedly related with the Sheaffer Pen Co. establishment?
    I'm referring to the Joseph Kraker of whom you said, "Joe Kraker does not exist."

Are you now prepared to publish a retraction of your false claim?

--Daniel
    “Every discussion which is made from an egoistic standpoint is corrupted from the start and cannot yield an absolutely sure conclusion. The ego puts its own interest first and twists every argument, word, even fact to suit that interest.”
    ― Paul Brunton, The Notebooks of Paul Brunton

Thanks

I enclose this little book about Sheaffer printed by the State Historical Society of Iowa with the assurance that, if you have followed the thread up to this point, you will like to read it ... or at least only "see photos" -smile-.
    Last edited by Ramón Campos; May 11th, 2019 at 05:12 AM.