Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tomoe River

Thanks

Default Re: Tomoe River

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpagan View Post
    Mungmul: HERE

You may also look for SEKISHU - it is only 32gr but it is suitable for watercolour.

TAIZAN, 30 gr is fine for writing, and less transparant than SEKISHU.

I don't have anymore "exotic" papers I know about for writting, eventhough I am certain there must be more.
    Thank you. What a wonderful website!

Thanks

Happy I could have helped.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 587 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by saulylee View Post
    why Tomoe river is so good?
    Is it, though?
    I say yes. What say you?
    Honestly, I used it for a while and overall don't much care for it. The appeal of TR is that is brings out sheen and is very smooth paper. Which is fine, but I find it too smooth. Plus, the same function that allows it to bring out sheen from, well, anything, also means that the ink smears off the page very easily. I have found that even something as simple as holding a letter in your hand to read it leaves smudges on your thumb. Finally, while I can see where thin paper appeals to some (indeed, the vintage almost-like-onion-skin feel is interesting), the show-through is not to my tastes.

So, I say no.
    Some inks never quite dry on any smooth-surfaced paper. Are you sure it was the fault of the paper and not the ink?
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by saulylee View Post
    why Tomoe river is so good?
    Is it, though?
    I say yes. What say you?
    Honestly, I used it for a while and overall don't much care for it. The appeal of TR is that is brings out sheen and is very smooth paper. Which is fine, but I find it too smooth. Plus, the same function that allows it to bring out sheen from, well, anything, also means that the ink smears off the page very easily. I have found that even something as simple as holding a letter in your hand to read it leaves smudges on your thumb. Finally, while I can see where thin paper appeals to some (indeed, the vintage almost-like-onion-skin feel is interesting), the show-through is not to my tastes.

So, I say no.
    I quote enjoy TR but to be honest I like
    Clairefontaine Triomphe better. It’s smooth but not to smooth. As for the smudges, highly saturated inks while they look great on TR, often smudge. I tend to stay away from them as they are a pain to clean out our pens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Butthurticus-VIII For This Useful Post:

AzJon (May 21st, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post
    "THEORY?!!"

There is no "theory" about why Tomoe River paper is good...
    Your response suggests that you know for a fact what it is about the manufacturing process for Tomoe River paper that makes it so good.
    Not at all; merely making a very obviously jokey reference to the fact that it is the preeminent paper amongst the very great of papers, and there really shouldn't be any 'theory' why it is good - it just is.

Thanks

There are high quality paper made all over the world. There are various ways to make it, the most common is to use cellulose from wood, and it can be all kinds of qualities from tissue paper to the £, € or $ notes we handle. The best paper I have are made from cloth or cotton fibers, it's some times called "wood-free" paper or canvas paper. The fibers have to come from some plant drived source, but are more refined and of better quality than the wood pulp commonly used. Good paper or high quality paper doesn't have to be very expensive, but it has to suit the end users purpose. Fibers can be coarse or fine, surface can be absorbant or repellant, thick or thin,... what ever the source of the cellulose is.

I like fine grained paper, maybe have a very subtle texture, the so called hand made paper I have had are mostly suitable for craft and special purposes other than notebooks and writing. I guess Hanji paper is a bit special, almost in the category of papyrus and parchment. I'm not sure what the modern Japanese Tomoe paper is made of. The odd thing is, at some point writing paper in general were made to agree well with most inks, and to a large degree still are. There are inks and pens that can be used on any paper made for writing or printing. For dip pens and very wet fountain pens I need to be a bit more careful when I choose paper.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by arrow View Post
    it can be all kinds of qualities from tissue paper to the £, € or $ notes we handle.
    Paper has been superseded by polypropylene polymer banknotes in many countries now. It makes them much harder to forge...

I find TR fine with Iron Gall inks, otherwise even something as stable as Serenity Blue can smear.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silverlifter View Post
    ...Paper has been superseded by polypropylene polymer banknotes in many countries now. It makes them much harder to forge...
    Side tracking a bit, but I have yet to see some of the new type notes. The types I have seen, have added a metal stripes, or other high teck stuff into the paper to make it hard to forge, but the base is still paper.

Can the water resistant inks be more suitable for less absorbant paper, where the ink hardly cuts the surface at all. I'm thinking of inks like Pelikan Fount India, it's a bit different.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

11. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

AzJon (May 26th, 2019), azkid (May 25th, 2019), BlkWhiteFilmPix (July 3rd, 2019), calamus (May 29th, 2019), Chrissy (May 25th, 2019), countrydirt (May 25th, 2019), fountainpenkid (May 30th, 2019), NibsForScript (May 25th, 2019), VertOlive (May 25th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 587 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post

Nice! thank you.

Ah, here's the Clairefontaine Football Centre in France...

Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (June 1st, 2019)