Thread: Monte Verde pens treasures or trash?

Thanks

Default Monte Verde pens treasures or trash?

I personally like them, but have seen a lot of posts not liking them. Some of the reasons I like them.... I like the weight in my gorilla hands, they write very well, and are inexpensive (less than $100). This is great because I'm a teacher and am not rolling in the dough.

Thanks

Default Re: Monte Verde pens treasures or trash?

A good part of the equation when we judge a pen is personal. I can use different size pens, but I need the grip for the finger tips to be on the narrow side, not too large. This has a lot to do with hand and fingers which differ from person to person like shoe sizes. One size does not fit all. Part of the factor is of course style and visual impression, but it has to be accompanied with function and capability; all kinds of factors involved for the favorite pen.

I know I need more than one pen for practial reasons, it has mostly to do with the nib and how it writes. My every day preferance is usually some where between fine and medium, but lately I have been searching for extra fine, flex and stub nibs for specific type script styles.

I don't know Monteverde at all, but I know they make more than one model to choose from. Sometimes we need an affordable pen for every day use too. I have seen how some have a favorite in the same item others make an effort to weed out of their collections be it fountain pen or garden perennials. I have to say I like gold nibs, but then again many steel nibs have met my requirments perfectly. Another interesting factor; what is your point referance, what can you compare it with?
    Last edited by arrow; April 30th, 2019 at 02:46 PM.

Thanks

Most complaints I hear/read come from poor QC and poor nibs. Many (most?) Monteverde/Conklin pens are cheap, Chinese-made pens. Some of their upper-end models are made in Italy (another country not known for manufacturing excellence).

My only experience is with a Monza I bought just to get the free bottle of ink (I am a fan of their inks). It’s a rebranded Jinhao knockoff of a Sailor. It’s a perfectly fine pen; I have no complaints whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

My first pen was an aqua swirl colored Monteverde Prima with 1.1 nib. I loved it then and love it now. I especially like that the converter screws in, and is not just a push in.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    the converter screws in, and is not just a push in.
    This is such a nice feature, it is a shame it isn't more commonplace.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (May 1st, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

In the scheme of things, they have their place. I don't see them as collectible but they have interesting designs. I have the original Stealth Invincia and it's a good pen but I feel it is a bit overpriced now that I have been in the hobby for a longer period of time. Other pens in the catalog attract me but I hold off on them for now.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

I have a couple of Primas and still enjoy them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by arrow View Post
    A good part of the equation when we judge a pen is personal. I can use different size pens, but I need the grip for the finger tips to be on the narrow side, not too large. This has a lot to do with hand and fingers which differ from person to person like shoe sizes. One size does not fit all. Part of the factor is of course style and visual impression, but it has to be accompanied with function and capability; all kinds of factors involved for the favorite pen.

I know I need more than one pen for practial reasons, it has mostly to do with the nib and how it writes. My every day preferance is usually some where between fine and medium, but lately I have been searching for extra fine, flex and stub nibs for specific type script styles.

I don't know Monteverde at all, but I know they make more than one model to choose from. Sometimes we need an affordable pen for every day use too. I have seen how some have a favorite in the same item others make an effort to weed out of their collections be it fountain pen or garden perennials. I have to say I like gold nibs, but then again many steel nibs have met my requirments perfectly. Another interesting factor; what is your point referance, what can you compare it with?
    So many deep questions. I personally like fine to medium nibs but haven't done much writing with stubs. I haven't written with a gold nib, but if I can find a pen with one......

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    In the scheme of things, they have their place. I don't see them as collectible but they have interesting designs. I have the original Stealth Invincia and it's a good pen but I feel it is a bit overpriced now that I have been in the hobby for a longer period of time. Other pens in the catalog attract me but I hold off on them for now.
    I have a Stealth Invincia as well. The prices for them are all over the place. I've seen them for $120, but got mine for $35. I think there are many pens that are way overpriced, so I just keep my cash.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

I have a couple, but on my Prima, the black finish on the section is peeling off. This is the second section I have had with that problem.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde