Thread: 149 nibs

Thanks

Default 149 nibs

Thought folks here might like to see examples of the four standard 149 nib grades: EF, F, M, B in two-tone 14C. All of these pens date from 1979 through 1982. I purchased three of them new and the pen with B nib was the first second-hand 149 I bought. All are great writers. Enjoy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Barry B. Gabay For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

aurore (September 22nd, 2019), BlkWhiteFilmPix (May 1st, 2019), Chuck Naill (September 23rd, 2019), Cyril (May 11th, 2019), farmdogfan (May 2nd, 2019), Hawker800 (September 21st, 2019), Jon Szanto (September 23rd, 2019), junglejim (April 30th, 2019), ljmudit (May 5th, 2020), Marsilius (September 21st, 2019), sniper777 (September 12th, 2019)

Banned
    Thanks

Default Re: 149 nibs

For what it's worth, I ordered a 149 Fine nib and it wrote like a medium. I sent it to MB for the complimentary nib exchange for the ExtraFine nib and now it is perfect for my small handwriting. Note that you can only get a 149 EF nib through an exchange since dealers don't sell that nib on new pens.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to NDAzone For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (September 21st, 2019)

Thanks

Good morning NDAzone,

Sorry your F nib 149 didn't write as narrow as you wanted. Over the years, I've had a couple of those as well, 149 & 146 nibs which wrote wider than expected. Have also encountered a couple of 149 M nibs which were fairly narrow & dry until I adjusted them. However, it has been quite a while since I purchased a new 149. Most of my current ones were bought second hand, and are great writers in all nib grades. The 149 is certainly a model worth finding the proper nib for, since it is such a pleasure to use.

I'm surprised that you found EF is only available now through nib exchange policy. I need to wake up & get with the times. Earlier in the summer, I was at Fountain Pen Hospital in NYC and looked at several new 149s with EF nibs. Maybe they had been in stock a while, but they were current models. This morning the FPH website shows EF, F, M, and B for gold-trim 149, and only F & M for platinum 149. Didn't look at the new calligraphy-nib models, since it kills me to look at that remarkable model which I doubt I will be able to get.

Enjoy your weekend.
    Best wishes,
    Barry

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Barry B. Gabay For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (September 21st, 2019)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Barry B. Gabay View Post
    Good morning NDAzone,

Sorry your F nib 149 didn't write as narrow as you wanted. Over the years, I've had a couple of those as well, 149 & 146 nibs which wrote wider than expected. Have also encountered a couple of 149 M nibs which were fairly narrow & dry until I adjusted them. However, it has been quite a while since I purchased a new 149. Most of my current ones were bought second hand, and are great writers in all nib grades. The 149 is certainly a model worth finding the proper nib for, since it is such a pleasure to use.

I'm surprised that you found EF is only available now through nib exchange policy. I need to wake up & get with the times. Earlier in the summer, I was at Fountain Pen Hospital in NYC and looked at several new 149s with EF nibs. Maybe they had been in stock a while, but they were current models. This morning the FPH website shows EF, F, M, and B for gold-trim 149, and only F & M for platinum 149. Didn't look at the new calligraphy-nib models, since it kills me to look at that remarkable model which I doubt I will be able to get.

Enjoy your weekend.
    Best wishes,
    Barry
    I actually bought my 149 from the Fountain Pen Hospital this summer. I only looked at the platinum version. They had no EF nibs and I never saw an EF option anywhere for that version.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

When I go to Montblanc.com and find the platinum version of the 149, I can choose an EF nib in the nib width box.

This suggests that if I can place an order for it then boutiques must be able to.

My Country is set as UK. Maybe that's the difference?
    Last edited by Chrissy; September 23rd, 2019 at 12:08 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    When I go to Montblanc.com and find the platinum version of the 149, I can choose an EF nib in the nib width box.

This suggests that if I can place an order for it then boutiques must be able to.

Ah, when I tried that I was not able to chose the EF. Thank you for the update.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NDAzone View Post

There may possibly be a difference depending on the Country you select. I found this out when I was looking for a particular ink of theirs. It was available if my Country was UK but not if it was US.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NDAzone View Post

There may possibly be a difference depending on the Country you select. I found this out when I was looking for a particular ink of theirs. It was available if my Country was UK but not if it was US.
    I checked after I saw your post, the USA Montblanc site now shows it too.