Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to start with exploring Sailor?

Thanks

Default Re: Where to start with exploring Sailor?

Quote Originally Posted by adhoc View Post
    There shouldn't be any difference in nibs between the 1911L and PG2 series, or? Don't they use the same nibs?
    I had a PG large. I made a mistake and sold it. Bought a PGII Realo to replace it. Hated it. The PGII Realo is a little smaller and wasn't the same writing experience. Also, that new clip is ugly. Sold that one too. My wife has a KOP. I don't find it to be a significantly different or better writing experience over my original PG. It's a little larger, and I tend to like larger diameter sections, but nothing Earth-shattering in the comfort department. The KOP nib is a bit on the springy side while my PG was a hard nib, so that writing experience is different. I can't say I prefer one over the other.

If I buy another Sailor it'll likely be another PG large with the same H-B nib I had in that first one...unless I find a used KOP for the price of a PG.

Thanks

Thank you scooby, that's very useful information.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby921 View Post
    I had a PG large. I made a mistake and sold it. Bought a PGII Realo to replace it. Hated it. The PGII Realo is a little smaller and wasn't the same writing experience.
    ???

The PG II is a larger pen than the PG. Well, technically it’s a longer pen, as girth remains the same as do the barrel and cap, but the finials are longer leading to a longer overall length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Not length, diameter. I think the PGII Realo is slightly smaller in diameter than the regular PG, even if published dimensions state otherwise. Maybe they modified the shape of the section so it's thinner at the minimum diameter. It just didn't feel right in my hand, but the old PG felt good.

Thanks

For me the representative pen for Sailor is the KOP ebonite. It is so unlike any other pen design in the world. It writes like a dream and will probably be the one pen you want for the rest of your life.

There are also a lot of other Sailor pen designs that don't mimic the "montblanc" look. You just have to search harder for them. Like the Kohaku Amber for example.

https://www.penchalet.com/fine_pens/...ntain_pen.html

Or the Koshu Inden pen

https://www.nibs.com/pens/sailor/sai...en-saya-sheath

Thanks

As you said you like KOP, I assume that you have the big hand.
    King of Pen, especially ebonite with urushi one is way too expensive too me. If it is for your first Sailor, then I think you better choose something more reasonable to start with.
    Sailor Pro gear or 1911 Full-size are stated a large size pen for big hand, but I heard a lot of complain about this size. "They are not big enough!" I always heard that. But think about the price, then these models are at good point to try. Not so expensive.

Thanks

Yeah, I really love KOP urushi blue with gold trims. But at 2200€ ($2500)...damn, that's a lot of money for a converter filler o.O that's well into namiki yukari line.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to adhoc For This Useful Post:

KyleClapton (June 20th, 2019)

Thanks

$2500 is way way way way outtttttttttttt of my budget so I don't dare to think of getting an urushi pen especially Sailor KOP Urushi.
    Normal pens are just fit my tastes and my wallet's allowance, so OK I am fine with pens which are less than $300

Thanks

I would like to suggest a Sailor Naginata Togi. A lovely pen I have owned for six months now. A beautiful hand made nib, mine is MF. It is a pleasure to use.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adhoc View Post
    Hello,

in my fountain pens journey I have now tested out the flagship model - and with some brands many other models - of every mention worthy brand out there. Except Sailor.
    Does that include Nakaya? If it doesn't, for 800eu it might make more sense to look at their pens.

Thanks

I have had Pro Gears, a Profit with a Naginata Togi nib and a KoP. The only one i didn’t like was a Pro Gear with a music nib. (There was nothing really wrong with it; it just didn’t suit my hand.) I sometimes use the Pro Gear at work. Unlike the KoP, it clips nicely into a shirt pocket.

As for the KoP vs the rest of the lineup,
    the KoP is a great pen, but so are the others. In my opinion, the reason to get the KoP over the others is the soft nib, which is very pleasant to use. However, you will pay for it through the jumbo/flagship pen tax and the lack of variety in the nibs.

If you prefer rigid nibs, the KoP may not work for you. I wouldn’t consider a PG or Profit with a Naginata Togi or even one of the standard nibs to be a lesser pen, just different.

Thanks

Default Where to start with exploring Sailor?

I dont own a KOP but own two 1911 Larges. I love them. The medium writes better than my MB 146.

I would suggest trying a 1911 Large and keeping the rest for your grail.

You can get them for 270ish USD.

Thanks

I suggest the Sailor 1911S, now called the "Standard". Great nib, cigar shape, which all fountain pens should have if they aren't shaped like the P-51. Priced around $150 or a shade more. Try it and you will have an idea about Sailor nibs. I like them, but you might not.