Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to start with exploring Sailor?

Thanks

Default Where to start with exploring Sailor?

Hello,

in my fountain pens journey I have now tested out the flagship model - and with some brands many other models - of every mention worthy brand out there. Except Sailor. I have not had a single Sailor, except once in my hand on my trip to Japan, but I usually take several months of intensive use before I can objectively decide if I like a pen or not, so that is definitely not enough. Can some of you fine folks here help me where should I start with exploring Sailor?

I don't want to start with lower end of Sailor offering purely because I do not want to judge a company by their cheap(er) offerings. I'm looking into Realos, because I think an expensive pen shouldn't be on a cartridge converter (I know this is debatable and subjective, let's not get into this), but they're so ugly to me. This is one of the bigger reasons why I have never bought a Sailor before. They look like Montblanc knock offs, and I can't stand Montblanc pens.

Next in line - I really love the looks of black luster (and to a lesser extent imperial black). I've held this one in hands before and I didn't think of it as anything special, especially considering the price.

I'm now down to king of pens. I'm thinking about the black KOP ebonite with rhodium trims. I also love the KOP ebonite, but with coloured urushi. A little too pricey for me to jump in, though. Would KOP be a decent start into exploring Sailor brand? Or would you recommend something else? Is there a nib I should look at that is a must try? I don't want one of the nibs that run through ink like no tomorrow (i.e. king eagle), because of the tiny converter it runs on.

Also, any suggestions on where to buy in Europe? Should I order directly from Japan instead? Any retailers you'd recommend?

Thanks for any and all input!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,124 Times in 428 Posts

Default Re: Where to start with exploring Sailor?

In Belgium you can try Catherine Von Hove at Sakura Fountain Pen Gallery. I have heard good things about her over at FPN and she has an actual location where you can actually see and hold the pens. She seems to have all of the Japanese dealers, Sailor, Pilot/Namiki, Eboya, Nakaya, Platinum, and some other urushi pens like Danitrio and Manu Propria.

Linky: https://www.sakurafountainpengallery.com/en/boutique

Buying from Japan there is ebay seller cool-japan who handles lots of inks and some pens. I don't know if he handles the very high end stuff like Sailor KOP or the Pilot Custom Urushi, or the Namiki Emperor. You will have to probably deal with VAT when it enters Slovenia though.

All the Best.
    Bucket list - walk the Camino de Santiago again

Thanks

Nothing wrong with trying a KOP as long as the prices don’t bother you. I personally really like the Naginata Togi MF nib but they are increasingly difficult to find and expensive (I haven’t tried one on a KOP but I’m hunting). Neither the M nor B nibs are all that broad so you shouldn’t have to worry too much about burning through ink even though the Sailor converter is pretty pathetic (especially in a KOP barrel).
    Find a finish/material you and dive in.

Thanks

Thanks for the answers.

The price budget is under ~800EUR and from what I’ve seen, I should be able to get a KOP for that money. The idea is that this will be my last pen purchase before I start saving up for my grail - Namiki Moonlight Nightline.

How do you cope with the tiny Sailor converter? This is really the thing that bothers me. It’s either a tiny converter or the Realo which I really dislike (purely subjectively and aesthetically).

Would I get the same writing experience with a 1911 for example? I want to give Sailor a fair shot, I don’t want to buy a pen and then judge their pens unfairly. That’s the main reason why I’m thinking about going straight for the flagship model.

Thanks for the nib suggestion, but I really don’t think I would benefit from Naginata Togi. I don’t vary my writing angle at all.

Thanks

I don’t vary my writing angle either but the nib still produces some line variation with my normal writing, similar to an architect nib but smoother.

The converter is small and there isn’t much you can do about it. I have read of one person that modified a sailor cartridge by attaching a sac to the back, essentially making it into a bulb filler which had a fairly large capacity.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,124 Times in 428 Posts

I may be mistaken but according to nibs.com the the KOP holds 0.5ml of ink using the converter or 0.9ml using Sailor's Propretory cartridge ink. The Realo piston filler also holds 0.9ml of ink. So KOP and Realo hold the same amount of ink. If you don't like the colors in the cartridge, just empty the cartridge with a syringe and refill with your favorite ink/color. Think outside the box!

All the Best.

Thanks

I actually already do refill my cartridge with my Vanishing Points. Refilling the converter there is such a chore, it's much easier to simply refill a cartridge.

Any votes for KOP vs 1911? Do I get a "proper" Sailor experience with a cheaper Sailor pen, or should I go after the KOP?

Thanks!

Thanks

If you can justify the expense of a KOP then you should be satisfied; bodies are ebonite or various combinations of ursuhi on top of ebonite - rather than plastic, the pens are a substantial size and so are the nibs, and you should get the great big box and ink too.

If you can get a KOP with the Naginata Togi you should have a pen you will never want to part with.

Thanks

Hello adhoc, If you like large fountain pens and find them comfortable, you can not go wrong with the Sailor King of Pen. I have several (resin, ebonite, urushi) with standard M and B nibs, one custom ground XXF, and previously had one with Naginata Togi M. All are great writers. The model is comfortable even for long periods of writing. Enjoy your hunt!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Barry B. Gabay View Post
    I have several (resin, ebonite, urushi)
    Yes, i forgot the ProGear KOP is resin... are there any others?

Thanks

More than with the budget, I’m concerned with the size of the KOP. I think I would prefer the 1911 large size more than the KOP. I know I found the MB 149 and Pelikan M1000 a little unwieldy.

Thanks

Cool Re: Where to start with exploring Sailor?

ProGear KOP is a good nib's length shorter uncapped than the M1000 and lighter too, not sure about the original cigar style KOP.

https://goldspot.com/blogs/magazine/...ize-comparison

Thanks

Thanks for the link.

My ideal size is the Pelikan M800 / Pilot Custom 823 size. Thewritingdesk, my favorite retailer, says this is 128 mm uncapped (the only relevant dimension for me, really, apart from grip diameter, because I never post my pens). The KOP cigar is supposedly 132.5 mm uncapped, according to Thewritingdesk. This is closer to the M1000.

I'm not sure yet. The grip diameter is quite chunky as well at 12.1-13 mm. I really enjoy grip diameter of around 11 mm. I remember the MB 149 is around 12.5 mm, and I found that already a bit too chunky.

I'm having second thoughts based on this to be honest. I'm actually more drawn to the black luster at the moment. I need to think this through a little bit, but I'm not in a rush anyway.

You might think I'm insane, and I can assure you I am.

Once again, thank you everyone for your input and time for answers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adhoc View Post
    Any votes for KOP vs 1911? Do I get a "proper" Sailor experience with a cheaper Sailor pen, or should I go after the KOP?

Thanks!
    The KoP nib is a completely different animal than that of the 1911. The KoP’s nib is much springier and much, much wetter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Dang it, just as I was 95% set on the black luster, you seed doubts in me back again I can already see I will want to try out both...

Thanks

For some reason I didn't think Sailor made a pen similar in size to the M800 but it looks like the 1911L is really close. And it looks like the 1911L also comes with a 21k nib so it may get close to KOP experience but in a size you would like more.

I have a Sailor Pro Gear II and some KOPs and all are terrific writers. The Pro Gear II is small for my hands so I prefer the KOP even though the nib on the Pro Gear II is one of my favorites (NT-MF). The 1911 never appealed to me so I haven't tried one.

Thanks

There shouldn't be any difference in nibs between the 1911L and PG2 series, or? Don't they use the same nibs?

I think my semi-long goal is the KOP ("standard" ebonite with rhodium trims) and the black luster for now.

If money was no object...I absolutely love this one:

Always had a thing for gold and deep rich blue combination. And I can't help but love the simplicity of design with this pen.
    Last edited by adhoc; May 8th, 2019 at 12:54 PM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adhoc For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (July 23rd, 2019), ceebert (August 30th, 2019)

Thanks

There shouldn't be any difference in nibs between the 1911L and PG2 series, or? Don't they use the same nibs?
    Yes, the 1911L and PG II use the same nibs, albeit in two-tone on the PG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

I think my semi-long goal is the KOP ("standard" ebonite with rhodium trims) and the black luster for now.

If money was no object...I absolutely love this one:

Always had a thing for gold and deep rich blue combination. And I can't help but love the simplicity of design with this pen.
    A blue ebonite KOP with a NT nib was sold on these forums a few weeks back and I'm kicking myself for not moving faster to buy it.

Thanks

Found it. Rhodium trims, yea? I would want gold ones with that blue.

It’s not easy to decide to drop $2k on a pen, I wouldn’t beat myself over it if I were you. I’m surprised it sold so quickly. Expensive pens usually take a while to find a buyer.