Quote Originally Posted by Mungmul View Post

저는 대구에 있어요. 혹시 근처에 만년필 동아리가 있나요?
    저도 대구 (평일, 주말에 서울)

대구에는 만년필 동아리 없는 것같아요.
    그럼... 大邱萬年筆愛好會를 창립합시다!

Thanks
    Thanked 10,363 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Re: Greetings from Korea

It's not a problem at all, and I'm not even absolutely sure whether these Forum Rules still apply or not, but just in case you aren't aware of them, this is only a quick heads up. Forum Rules:Here.
    Last edited by Chrissy; May 10th, 2019 at 01:54 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

I cannot hide my disappointment but I understand that we live in a world where fora must be moderated.

Thanks

I have been on this board since 2014 and continuously active. From that time it has been the wildest of Wild Wests and almost entirely unmoderated.

Now, suddenly, we are moderated? huh?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,363 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    I have been on this board since 2014 and continuously active. From that time it has been the wildest of Wild Wests and almost entirely unmoderated.

Now, suddenly, we are moderated? huh?
    Nope. In fact, as you rightly say, nothing has changed on this forum in all that time.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Thanks

Welcome! Very cool to have Korean members on the board.

Thanks

Thank you.

Thanks

Welcome.

Regarding "talking" in other languages, without speaking about being moderated, or not, it is just a question of politeness.
    One may write in other languages (it is always agreable to have another member with whom one can "revive", or have pleasure, doing so), but politeness requires a translation for the other members, that is all. It is like when you are in a group: if you talk in another language with someone else, and that the rest of the group does not speak it, you translate so that others do not feel left aside.
    Just politeness, nothing to do with moderation. My point of view.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to fountainpagan For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (May 13th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpagan View Post
    Welcome.

Regarding "talking" in other languages, without speaking about being moderated, or not, it is just a question of politeness.
    One may write in other languages (it is always agreable to have another member with whom one can "revive", or have pleasure, doing so), but politeness requires a translation for the other members, that is all. It is like when you are in a group: if you talk in another language with someone else, and that the rest of the group does not speak it, you translate so that others do not feel left aside.
    S: Nice to meet you. Ah, are you Korean? Vintage pens are really hard to find in Korea.

M: Nice to meet you! I am sorry but I am a barbarian. I too have not seen any vintage fountain pens in Korea. I have to order them from abroad.

S: I too am in Gyeongsang Province, North Gyeongsang Province.

M: I am in Daegu. Perhaps there is a fountain pen club nearby?

S: I too am in Daegu (on weekdays, on weekends I am in Seoul). There doesn't seem to be a fountain pen club in Daegu.

M: Well then... let's found the Daegu Fountain Pen Appreciation Society!

Thanks

Welcome.

These were exactly my thoughts, but then I thought that maybe it’s a cultural difference. Over here in Europe, it would be extremely impolite to, for example, whisper in front of a party of people. That would be a real life equivalent to what happened here, I guess.

Speaking of which, I created a cultural differences thread where people could write out some of their local quirks. No bites yet, though.

Thanks

Your objections have been duly noted and filed with the other complaints.

Perhaps you have a large and friendly pen community where you are? I can count on one hand (& have fingers to spare) all the folks I have met here (ever) who had even the slightest interest in vintage pens. So you might imagine a rather elevated level of excitement to find, after all these many years, a fellow traveler right here the same neck of the woods.

I hope you will pardon the seemingly unfathomable rudeness of two Korea peeps exchanging a few totally inconsequential and light hearted greetings in the local language. We don't do a lot of that here. I thought that given the rather minuscule amount of it, now translated for you all to see, we would be given a little grace and trust. I suppose that was too much to ask.

Onward and downward bureaucrats of the spirit,

Stub

Thanks

You misunderstood me, I don’t mind whatsoever. I was trying to explain why some might.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adhoc View Post
    You misunderstood me, I don’t mind whatsoever. I was trying to explain why some might.
    we're cool adhoc.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

adhoc (May 13th, 2019)

Thanks

I supposed the conversation was inconsequent, yes. I actually don't care. you could be insulting me, or all. Your problem.

I was trying to explain why it can be not so goodly taken. But hey...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mungmul View Post
    Welcome.

S: Nice to meet you. Ah, are you Korean? Vintage pens are really hard to find in Korea.

M: Nice to meet you! I am sorry but I am a barbarian. I too have not seen any vintage fountain pens in Korea. I have to order them from abroad.

S: I too am in Gyeongsang Province, North Gyeongsang Province.

M: I am in Daegu. Perhaps there is a fountain pen club nearby?

S: I too am in Daegu (on weekdays, on weekends I am in Seoul). There doesn't seem to be a fountain pen club in Daegu.

M: Well then... let's found the Daegu Fountain Pen Appreciation Society!
    Thank you, Mungmul.

Let us know when your Society starts, and if it is a successfull endeavour

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adhoc View Post
    Welcome.

These were exactly my thoughts, but then I thought that maybe it’s a cultural difference. Over here in Europe, it would be extremely impolite to, for example, whisper in front of a party of people. That would be a real life equivalent to what happened here, I guess.

Speaking of which, I created a cultural differences thread where people could write out some of their local quirks. No bites yet, though.
    Yes, certainly a cutural difference.

Where is that thread? - it sounds interesting.
    Last edited by fountainpagan; May 13th, 2019 at 08:34 AM.

Thanks

https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...al-differences

The thread is here, but apart from me nobody has written anything yet

Thanks

Greetings from Korea to you! 먹물! I like your nickname, it is like the most traditional form of ink, and also a word that describes well...
    almost every liquid that is black. I've been living in New Zealand(AKL) for 4 years, arrived in Korea merely 4 months ago to move to Incheon. So in a way, it's safe to call me 오랑캐, since I still speak English in my university with those who are fluent and most of the vocab and jargon in the sophomore engineering course is in English. I also have NZ driver's license.

Anyway, to aid your pursuit of vintage pens and help you save a few (dozen)bucks of shipping cost, I recomend the Daum cafe/community called Penhood, it goes by the URL of something something Montblanck. They hold something called "Pen-show" which is something close to an expo, but for pens. I hear you can find and buy NOS P51s with chalk marks there, as well as participate in the auction and obtain other pens that are discontinued and sought after.
    The next one will take place in a exhibition hall near Seoul station this November. But do keep in mind that it's for the cafe members only.

There is also a caligraphy cafe at Bucheon called 카페캘리 which is very close to me but hella(...) far from you. They sell used pens and if you're in luck you can find multiple duofolds and a P51 even. They offer using the local courier to ship to your location as well, if you go on their blog and they post
    that they are selling the pen you want.
    You'll have to call them and tell them your address and the item they have in stock which you want and then transfer funds
    to the bank account they tell you to arrange delivery.
    Otherwise, - the "standard" way which is my way of buying used pens from there is just walking in and seeing what's in stock and then choosing
    since they let you try the pens they sell as well as inks.
    And lastly there's the infamous Junggonara(중고나라), where people sell used... Everything- Basically yahoo!Auction for Korea. I saw a gold-filled cap(Rolled gold cap) burgundy P51 there for 140000KRW a few days ago(it sold out in a day) and once every few weeks people put P51s for sale.
    Fortunately I have bought a mint cond P51 with rolled silver cap, marked "made in England" and teal blue which is my most ideal variation of P51, just a few days ago hence my pursuit of vintage pens is over for me. I have also reached my endgame in modern fountain pens with 5 modern pens that cost me $1600. If my collection interests you I'd be happy to let you try them since I visit 카페캘리 every once a two weeks. Only if you didn't live that far from Seoul, haha..
    카페캘리 is, frankly, a place where people meet and test each other's fountain pens and/or inks. But I go there to get my assignment done with the productivity boost induced by coffee instead of socializing.
    Last edited by Mikekwon; May 18th, 2019 at 10:04 AM.

Thanks

Welcome.

Totally agree