Thread: Sheaffer Vac Fill - Standard Balances

Thanks

Default Sheaffer Vac Fill - Standard Balances

Anyone have the specifications for the kit/parts I would need to restore a couple of standard Balance vac-fills. These look to be 1930s, pre-Triumph pens. I've seen a couple sizes of rubber discs out there. Is there a kit available in the US, or a set of specifications for what I need in terms of materials to restore these Balances?

My understanding is I need the David Nishimura-type black gasket ring, along with a white o-ring to form the seal that replaces the old felt washers Sheaffer used. I'll also need a rubber plunger point disc - the thin rubber washer that actually creates the vacuum effect. It seems like the plunger washers in particular come in differing sizes. Which for the standard Balance?

I've put off learning to do these pens because I've been doing lever and Touchdown pens for years - and I really like those. But some of the vacuum pens are just nice pens that have good nibs on them.

Thanks

Default Re: Sheaffer Vac Fill - Standard Balances

Hi

Of the three sizes the standard takes the middle one, but you could play safe and buy a mixed set of all 3, most of the usual suppliers do a mixed set, the plunger seals are the same for all models.

Once you have the correct tools it's not that difficult a job, it's easier to do a Vac than it is to do a Snorkel, once you get going. Also sometimes you don't even need to replace the packing seals, sometimes an overnight soak in water and a good quality washing up liquid is all that is needed to reguvinate them. I find it's about 50/50 but worth a go before the drill comes out.

Paul