Thread: Cultural differences

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Default Cultural differences

Hello,

I’m interested in your cultures weird little things. Add yours for your country or even more local location

Slovenia:
    -we’re very pedantic about cleanliness. Trash bins everywhere, streets are cleaned every day, throwing stuff on the floor is heavily looked down upon. Especially outside of urban centers, it’s a big no no. Also in nature, we’re taught already as kids you should be as quiet as possible to not disrupt the animals. This one stood out as national quirk to me when I see Italian tourists here, who do not get it at all.
    -we say hello to everyone we meet in nature. Rule is that the person going downhill greets first, because he is the one that is less out of breath.
    -we say hello at entry and upon exit at doctors/dentist waiting room to everyone there. Hello and goodbye is also kind of a rule at entry and exit of elevator - this one especially got me lots of weird looks abroad.
    -we’re absolutely, positively sure that cold weather causes cold (the virus) on a national level. A single breeze is surely going to cause cold!
    -it’s nice to pay someone else a drink, but if you’re buying one back, we’re getting drunk
    -our anthem is basically a toast to drink and glorifies all nations that want peace, but doesn’t actually talk about our own country
    -nobody can drive here. We were rated as least knowledgable nation of driving rules in Europe. Probably because more than half of our population lives outside of urban city centers, where even roundabouts don’t exist.
    Last edited by adhoc; May 9th, 2019 at 06:50 AM.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to adhoc For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (May 24th, 2019), amk (May 17th, 2019), azkid (May 9th, 2019), Bisquitlips (June 12th, 2019), fountainpenkid (May 29th, 2019), Jon Szanto (May 18th, 2019), Newjelan (May 30th, 2019), SchaumburgSwan (May 15th, 2019), SIR (May 14th, 2019)