Quote Originally Posted by ethernautrix View Post
Quote Originally Posted by adhoc View Post
Yup, it’s considered very rude to not greet back here. It’s “dober dan” (and yours is dan dobri; dzien dobry), and nasvidenje (dosvidanya in russian or however you spell it). Dovidzenja is in serbocroatian, though (like your do widzenia), meaning “until we meet again”. Are you an immigrant to Poland, by the way? Or why did you find it weird? I definitely get strange looks when I say hello and goodbye in an elevator when foreigners are with me
I'm an American in the Land of Po (Polska!), so the general greeting was foreign to me.

I do notice when not-Americans say to me, "Have a nice day!" *smiling*
What brought you to Poland, if I may ask?

Quote Originally Posted by jbb View Post
In this red part of a blue state USA my one neighbor grows pot while another still hasn't taken down his Trump/Pence sign. Everyone (except us) is armed. I smile and give the one-armed wave to my neighbors as a drive down the one-lane road and try to keep my opinions to myself.
What is it like being around armed people? Over here, nobody can carry a firearm, only police and military. And even with police, I sometimes think to myself...if this guy snaps right now, he could shoot everyone dead right here and right now. Isn't it kind of unpleasant, or do you just get used to it and trust people? I don't think I could ever trust the general populace to this extent, lol.