Thread: Sheaffer Oversized Fountain Pen ID Help? Lifetime?

Thanks

Default Sheaffer Oversized Fountain Pen ID Help? Lifetime?

Hi all,

New to this forum, thank you in advance for any advice.

I'm looking for help trying to identify this vintage Sheaffer Oversized black fountain pen. I've been able to find some close examples online, but not 100% positive what the exact model is called.

It is lever filled, has Sheaffer on the ball-end clip, the cap has a double gold band, the top of the cap has a white dot, and the NIB is marked Lifetime with patent numbers, but no other info. It is about 5 1/4" inches long with the cap in place.

One example I found, that does look exactly like this, described it as a "Oversize LIFETIME SENIOR Flat Top". I couldn't find much information on that. The other that I found, which is close, but not quite mine is for the SHEAFFER CONNAISSEUR, but it has more gold bands than mine, and mine doesn't look that nice .

Any ideas on what the model and age is of this pen? Any help gratefully appreciated.

Thank you,

Mark

pen.jpgpen2.jpgpen3.jpgpen4.jpgpen5.jpg

Thanks

Default Re: Sheaffer Oversized Fountain Pen ID Help? Lifetime?

Thank you Ramon, very helpful and very much appreciated. That definitely looks like my pen in the picture there.

A couple of follow up questions, would you say that the pen is then circa 1928? Or that is just the year they started production? Also, any information on the white dot on the top of the cap? I don't see one in the photo, does it reference anything in particular?

Thank you so much!!

Mark

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jibster View Post
    Also, any information on the white dot on the top of the cap? I don't see one in the photo, does it reference anything in particular?
    A good overview of the history of the Sheaffer White Dot.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Your cap is from the late 1920s, and the body is from the 1930s; it might have been a replacement under the Lifetime guarantee.

We don't need to see the lever pivot; the barrel imprint is even later than the snap-ring lever attachment.

The first Lifetime pens didn't have a lifetime guarantee; that was just a name Sheaffer gave to convey the image of a durable pen. The guarantee was added later, and the White Dot, which was first used on jade green pens, was added later still.

--Daniel
    “Every discussion which is made from an egoistic standpoint is corrupted from the start and cannot yield an absolutely sure conclusion. The ego puts its own interest first and twists every argument, word, even fact to suit that interest.”
    ― Paul Brunton, The Notebooks of Paul Brunton

Thanks

P.S. Sheaffer only briefly advertised square end Lifetime pens with double cap bands, for some reason.

--Daniel
    “Every discussion which is made from an egoistic standpoint is corrupted from the start and cannot yield an absolutely sure conclusion. The ego puts its own interest first and twists every argument, word, even fact to suit that interest.”
    ― Paul Brunton, The Notebooks of Paul Brunton