Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ink Manufacturers?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Re: Ink Manufacturers?

Quote Originally Posted by aquafox View Post
    While Austria for bottled inks and Germany (schmidt I heard) for ballpoint and rollerball refills.
    Please can we start again? We were talking about Monteverde making inks, not pens, and I suggested that they were ink manufacturers who made ink brands in Austria until you replied: "Monteverde does not produce inks, nor pens. They outsource." So are you now agreeing that their inks are made in Austria, but that they are made under some other brand name rather than Monteverde? You lost me.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

AzJon (May 16th, 2019), Brilliant Bill (May 16th, 2019)

Thanks

So, doing a search for chemical companies specializing in dyes and inks, there are any number of main manufacturers that could be producing those inks that isn't owned by any of the aforementioned companies.

To give an example, where I lived in Germany, there was a chocolate factory just over the boarder in Switzerland. That chocolate company sold their own brand chocolate at the factory only but was in production to make chocolate for other companies with no trace of where it came from other than "Made in Switzerland". I found some of their chocolate sold at Trader Joe's in the States at one point (they had a distinctive packaging and bar mold I could pick out). I reckon that this is the same deal with the manufacturer of Montblanc, Kaweco, and Monteverde. That said, it is also possible that they are in fact made in different facilities throughout Austria.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (May 16th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Perhaps a German-speaker has access to the Austrian equivalent of the American ThomCat or Thomasnet directory for ink manufacturers, e.g. https://www.thomasnet.com/browse/chemicals/inks-1.html These used to be in reference libraries in large multivolume sets, and I expect most industrialized nations have their equal. It's been decades since I needed them (when they were in book form).
    Last edited by FredRydr; May 16th, 2019 at 11:03 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (May 17th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Perhaps a German-speaker has access to the Austrian equivalent of the American ThomCat or Thomasnet directory for ink manufacturers, e.g. https://www.thomasnet.com/browse/chemicals/inks-1.html These used to be in reference libraries in large multivolume sets, and I expect most industrialized nations have their equal. It's been decades since I needed them (when they were in book form).
    That's kinda what I was looking over this morning. I went through lists of chemical companies, but didn't find anything definitive.

Ptero lives in Austria, maybe he can lend a hand an have a look. If he sees this thread, of course.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 587 Posts

When I was corresponding with Nick at Birmingham Pens about his German-made inks and I told him I had heard they were made by De Atramentis and asked if that were correct, he replied that they were made by more than one company, and that he wasn't allowed to reveal their names. FWIW.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (May 17th, 2019)