Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice about Sheaffer snorkels

Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 587 Posts

Default Need advice about Sheaffer snorkels

I'm posting this here instead of in the Sheaffer subforum in hopes that I'll get more information from the increased visibility here.

Anyway, ever since I was a wee lad back in the '50s, I've wanted a Sheaffer snorkel. I'm thinking that I've waited for one long enough, and the next pen I buy will probably be one.

Where I live, the county seat and largest "city" for more than 100 miles in any direction has a population of under 30,000, and there are no pen shops and no pen clubs to be found. I hope to make it to the San Francisco pen show in August, and if I do, my goal will probably be to find a great snorkel for a reasonable price. If I make it I'll be able to try some out; as I write this post I've never touched a Sheaffer pen of any sort, not even a humble "No Nonsense" Sheaffer. (And by the way, are they any good? How does their writing experience compare to, say, that of a Pilot Metropolitan? And which iteration of them is the best?)

So anyway, looking on eBay, I see snorkels go from $25 to $500. Can anyone tell me a little about how the various nibs match up? I'm wondering about the Triumph nibs, the regular open nibs and the PFM nibs. The last are the most attractive-looking, I think, but PFMs seem to usually run between $300 and $400, at least currently on eBay, and are therefore out of my price range. The Triumph nibs look very exotic, but the tip is turned up and I have no idea what kind of writing experience that produces. What does anyone think is the smoothest-writing Sheaffer nib, and what models am I likely to find the best deals on? Until I learn more about the various types of Sheaffer snorkel pens, I'm currently leaning toward a light blue body and cap white dot snorkel with a 14K Triumph nib. What should one cost restored and in good mechanical and cosmetic condition? Any ideas? Guesses? Wild stabs in the dark?

Many thanks.
    Last edited by calamus; May 23rd, 2019 at 03:38 PM.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (May 23rd, 2019), azkid (May 23rd, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

Default Re: Need advice about Sheaffer snorkels

I can confirm you will be able to purchase a Snorkel at the SF show in the 75 area restored. Likely half that unrestored.

I can think of several sellers that said the were coming and I know who restores their pens and what their inventory looks like.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

calamus (May 24th, 2019), Jon Szanto (May 23rd, 2019)

Thanks

Sheaffer nibs are some of the best writers available. The "turned up" Triumph is one of the best. The up turn seems to put a little more tip onto the paper and will give a better experience to a person who writes with fingers only. Most Sheaffer nibs are figured to write a thin line when held upside down.

NoNonsense pens are good writers when the nib tines are properly aligned. (but that goes for any pen, doesn't it?) Their italic nibs are "grab and go" reliable and are not tetchy to write with. They are more like stubs than sharp italics.
    "Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little." -Epicurus-

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Paddler For This Useful Post:

calamus (May 24th, 2019)

Thanks

I really like all of the Sheaffer conical nib pens. In my experience, the ones with the turned up tips are some of the smoothest vintage pens out there. Firm, but smooth. These aren't flex or soft nibs. They tend to the fine side, although I have heard that there are a rare few examples with broader nibs. I've got a couple of snorkels and a few touchdowns. They can be a little fiddly to replace the sacs in. But, once done, they should be good for a few more decades

I find the no-nonsense pens to be unremarkable but functional. For a cheap pen, I much prefer the earlier Sheaffer school pens. Better yet, the late 50's / early 60's scripsert pens with the conical PdAg nibs are a much nicer cartridge pen for folks on a budget.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to although For This Useful Post:

calamus (May 24th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    "No Nonsense" Sheaffer. (And by the way, are they any good? How does their writing experience compare to, say, that of a Pilot Metropolitan? And which iteration of them is the best?)
    What will sound like hyperbole follows:

The Sheaffer Nonsense is the greatest cheap fountain pen ever. Well, it is at least my favorite.

1) Great size and shape and balance. Really cozy and a great ergonomic distance writer. Great in the hand. Roughly about the same size as an M600/CH912. Lots of cheap pens are way too small or heavy (Brass barrels).

2) C/c so are pretty well set for travel. Modern C/C all fit and work just fine. Decent capacity. Sheaffer Skrip blue cartridges on the road, bottled ink of choice at home.

3) They are Sheaffers. Therefore hella reliable and consistent. Of the dozens I have had all pretty much wrote great straight away. They come in a ton of fun colors and finishes and prints.

4) The early ebonite feed ones are great but the plastic feeds are similar in performance. Sheaffer knew how to design nibs and feeds. Feeds are not just about materials and Sheaffer knew what they were doing. This basic feed and nib is/was used on a ton of pens and is great. The shape is different but the nib and feed design on these pens is quite like the later preludes and other open nib steel models. Really a robust and reliable design. Bonus: Lots of fun nib choices.

I hate the rubber grip versions. I would say all versions before the change to rubberized grips are good.

The fancy NN are also great. I have a couple of the Stainless Steel ones and they are amazing. Same as the others but even more robust.

The bad:
    The clips kind of suck. No give at all. The caps will sometimes crack, especially around the cap tabs.

I always, have one or two inked. I adore those pens. YMMV. As much as I like the Pilot Metro, the Sheaffer NN is (imo) superior. More fun too.
    Last edited by stub; May 24th, 2019 at 08:02 AM.

Thanks

So anyway, looking on eBay, I see snorkels go from $25 to $500. Can anyone tell me a little about how the various nibs match up? I'm wondering about the Triumph nibs, the regular open nibs and the PFM nibs. The last are the most attractive-looking, I think, but PFMs seem to usually run between $300 and $400, at least currently on eBay, and are therefore out of my price range. The Triumph nibs look very exotic, but the tip is turned up and I have no idea what kind of writing experience that produces. What does anyone think is the smoothest-writing Sheaffer nib, and what models am I likely to find the best deals on? Until I learn more about the various types of Sheaffer snorkel pens, I'm currently leaning toward a light blue body and cap white dot snorkel with a 14K Triumph nib. What should one cost restored and in good mechanical and cosmetic condition? Any ideas? Guesses? Wild stabs in the dark?

Many thanks.
    The inlaid nibs are lovely. The only snorkel with that is of course the PFM. So if you have your heart set on one of those you will have to shell out $200 or more depending on if it is a I or II (cheaper) or a III or a V (more) or a IV (Rare and often spendy).

Pluses: GREAT in the hand. Larger ink capacity.
    Cons: Expensive. Some will leak around the inlay and may require a little captain tolley's or you will just have inky fingers.

Triumph/conical/sheath nibs. All are good. The PdAg are great if you like white metal. A 14k is nice if you like 2 tone. Performance is similar. You are mostly paying for
    1. Presence of white dot
    2. Different caps

Non-white dots
    • Special. These are entry level. Open Palladium silver nibs.
    • Admiral the same but now with open 14 k nibs
    • Saratoga is similar to the Admiral but with two-tone nib (14k and platinum mask tops, they look a lot like the Feathertouch nibs.)
    • Sovereign is sort of Saratoga with with a Metal cap.

White Dot models
    • Statesman Palladium-silver conical nib. plastic cap and barrel, gold-filled clip and 3/8" wide gold-filled cap band.
    • Clipper is like the Statesmen but with a polished stainless cap and pattern of 4 lines. Gold filled clip and cap band.
    • Valiant is a plastic cap like the Statesman but has a 2 two-tone nib (14 & platinum mask top)
    • Sentinel is Valiant with a Metal cap (Gold filled clip and cap band.)
    • Crest is like the Valiant and the Sentinel but Gold filled Cap.

14 K Cap Bands (the fancy stuff)
    • Signature
    • Autograph
    • Snorkel Triumph is the all metal pen.
    • Demonstrator (good luck finding one at less than one billion dollars).

Open nib snorkels are great. I am a big fan of the humble Admiral. The #5 nibs on those are often very good.
    I also like the Valiant and the Sentinel.

You can't go wrong. Snorkels are great pens if properly restored. The nibs are great.
    Last edited by stub; May 24th, 2019 at 08:35 AM.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (May 26th, 2019), calamus (May 24th, 2019), silverlifter (May 24th, 2019)

Thanks

What does anyone think is the smoothest-writing Sheaffer nib, and what models am I likely to find the best deals on?
    Smoothest is a non snorkel. Late 30s nibs like on the open nib lever fill Crest have the most upturn and are butter smooth and a total joy.

Best deals on a snorkel? I have found a few Admirals for less than $50. Great pens.

Look to pay something like $80-120 for your garden variety Statesman, Valiant or Sentinel I would say. Restored.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Thank you for that list, stub. There are so many subtle variations in Snorkels, from the dots to the caps to the nibs to the tubes, and of course, the colors. I own two Snorkels, one open nib with a red barrel and white dot metal cap (wrong with the open nib, or rare?) and one all black with white dot and conical nib. I find them to be a PITA mechanically and yet I still like having them. They're a cool part of pen history. My red Snorkel is always in my pen rack filled with dark red ink, for those times red is needed.

You didn't mention the PFM III, which is the model I prefer and casually consider taking home from pen shows, but after handling them I never seem to follow through.
    Last edited by FredRydr; May 24th, 2019 at 08:46 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

calamus (May 24th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    You didn't mention the PFM III, which is the model I prefer and casually consider taking home from pen shows, but after handling them I never seem to follow through.
    I meant to that was a typo. I put the III with the V. I accidentally typed II but corrected that now.

I love the III. My best and most used PFM is a III. I like the shape of the cap more on the Plastic than the metal. The III is probably my favorite of the bunch. Though I do like metal caps and like the little metal doodad on the blind cap I like that the top of the Plastic caps are square and then become rounded. A small bit to be sure but I think that looks handsome. Luckily I, II, III and Vs are still around. A well restored, good writing PFM is a joy. I still have 2 left and will try to keep them. I sold my II (factory italic) and my V (massive B nib) a while back. Sales I regret.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

calamus (May 24th, 2019)

Thanks

What a wealth of information!! Thank you everyone. Farmboy -- if I go to the SF show I will PM you in advance for particulars about who I should look for there.

thankyoufeatherpen.gif

(Not meaning to end the discussion, just wanting to express thanks.)
    Last edited by calamus; May 24th, 2019 at 02:16 PM.

Thanks

My very best "long haul" writers are all Sheaffers. Two have military clips on the cap and are lever fillers. One, the Vigilant, has a palladium/gold nib and is not turned up. It is a rather thin body with a gold vermeil clip that will tarnish to black over time. The other is the Valiant which is a fatter version of the Vigilant but has a turned up nib.

Another superb writer is the Sovereign II that has the conical palladium/gold nib that is turned up. It is a lever filler also.

If you see a Sheaffer with a "Feather Touch" nib, grab it. The nib's slit is plated with platinum which has a zero-degree wetting angle so the feed is fast. Typically, these pens come with Touchdown fillers which are probably the easiest to replace the sacs in.
    "Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little." -Epicurus-

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paddler For This Useful Post:

azkid (May 24th, 2019), calamus (May 25th, 2019), Chrissy (May 27th, 2019)

Thanks

The Snorkel Triumph nib generally is a firm, smooth nib. There are some flexible ones, but most are firm and write smoothly. The two main issues with the Snorkel are the overly complex filling system and the fact that they tend to be slender pens. Unless you do your own repair work, get a restored Snorkel and see if you like it. They're good pens.

The smoothest vintage nibs I've ever used are the immediate post-war Sheaffer nibs from 1946-1950. The very late model vacfill and "fat Touchdown" pens seem to really shine in that department. But if you get a Snorkel, that will probably be pretty smooth and have a firm nib as well. The up-turned Triumph nib tends to be fairly forgiving of writing angle - how you hold the pen to paper. It looks weird at first, but they're usually very smooth, forgiving nibs.

The best "cheap" pen was the Waterman Phileas. They sold them at Staples for $25-45 for quite a long time. One day, we'll look at back at how extraordinary it was to get a really nice, good-writing fountain pen at a regular office supply store for $30.

Go to the show and buy a restored Snorkel. Get the color and nib you want. They're usually not a ton of money and they write well. Just make sure you like the fit - as I say, they're a it slender and you may or may not like the fit.
    Last edited by Ray-VIgo; May 27th, 2019 at 09:54 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Ray-VIgo For This Useful Post:

calamus (May 28th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ray-VIgo View Post
    The two main issues with the Snorkel are the overly complex filling system and the fact that they tend to be slender pens.
    With the notable exception of the PFM. Nothing slender about ol chonky...

23. The Following User Says Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

calamus (May 28th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silverlifter View Post
    The two main issues with the Snorkel are the overly complex filling system and the fact that they tend to be slender pens.
    With the notable exception of the PFM. Nothing slender about ol chonky...
    Right - PFM is its own thing.

I'm talking in general about the various slender models of "Snorkel" from the 1950s. Of the group, a pastel blue Sentinel I think is the most attractive - really captures that 1950s look.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Ray-VIgo For This Useful Post:

calamus (May 28th, 2019)

Thanks

The Snorkel Triumph nib generally is a firm, smooth nib. There are some flexible ones, but most are firm and write smoothly. The two main issues with the Snorkel are the overly complex filling system and the fact that they tend to be slender pens. Unless you do your own repair work, get a restored Snorkel and see if you like it. They're good pens.

The smoothest vintage nibs I've ever used are the immediate post-war Sheaffer nibs from 1946-1950. The very late model vacfill and "fat Touchdown" pens seem to really shine in that department. But if you get a Snorkel, that will probably be pretty smooth and have a firm nib as well. The up-turned Triumph nib tends to be fairly forgiving of writing angle - how you hold the pen to paper. It looks weird at first, but they're usually very smooth, forgiving nibs.

The best "cheap" pen was the Waterman Phileas. They sold them at Staples for $25-45 for quite a long time. One day, we'll look at back at how extraordinary it was to get a really nice, good-writing fountain pen at a regular office supply store for $30.

Go to the show and buy a restored Snorkel. Get the color and nib you want. They're usually not a ton of money and they write well. Just make sure you like the fit - as I say, they're a it slender and you may or may not like the fit.
    Thank you. One of the reasons I would like to go to the show is to be able to hold and get a better sense of any prospective purchase. I don't tend toward slender pens, particularly if they're short as well, but I have an Esterbrook SJ that I don't mind at all using, as long as I post it. It's about the thickness of a pencil, but since I'm accustomed to writing with a pencil, it doesn't really bother me. So I don't anticipate that the modest girth of a Snorkel will be a deal-breaker for me, but I won't know for certain until I pick one up.

Would you happen to know the width of a Sheaffer Snorkel?
    Last edited by calamus; May 28th, 2019 at 10:38 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

Don't they vary in width?

I think I have an open-nib medium/light blue Snork, but cannot recall the model. Very nice writer.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

calamus (May 28th, 2019)

Thanks

I've already posted these photos in another thread (What's your latest pen acquisition?), but I'm so stoked I want to do it again (and again and again...). This is exactly what I was looking for, white dot/Triumph nib, blue, nice condition, fully restored and functioning perfectly (if the seller — 3rdlakerobert — is to be believed, and he's sold over a thousand pens on eBay and has a 100% approval rating and the most enthusiastic feedback I think I've ever seen). It also happens to be a Sentinel, which Ray-Vigo said he thinks epitomizes the '50s look. I've got to agree, it's certainly iconic. And it was $99 plus $3 and change for insured shipping. Can't beat that with a stick. Anyway, my wife is getting it for me for Father's Day.( She let me pick it out.) It's on its way, but I won't get to see it until Father's Day arrives.

As I think I may have mentioned above, I've wanted a Snorkel since I was a little kid back in the 1950s, and all my parents would let me have was a crappy old Scripto that skipped and leaked and sometimes wouldn't write at all, until an entire blob of ink would dump out all at once. I used to dream about how cool it would be to have a Snorkel. More than half a century ago!

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (June 3rd, 2019), azkid (June 3rd, 2019), Ray-VIgo (June 4th, 2019), silverlifter (June 2nd, 2019)

Thanks

I used to dream about how cool it would be to have a Snorkel. More than half a century ago!
    How wonderful to see a childhood dream come true! And that is one gorgeous looking Sheaffer. Happy Fathers' Day!
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

calamus (June 3rd, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Don't they vary in width?
    No PFM aside then TM Touchdowns and Snorkels are the same.

Wildly over simplified follows:

Snorks & TM Touchdowns (I think 9mm?)
    1st year Touchdowns ('49) are 1mm thicker. (10? don't have a measuring doohickey thingamajig here)
    Most standard Vacs 1mm more than that (11mm)
    So-called "OS" pens like the OS Valiant and OS Crest are 1mm chubbier still and those are the fattest of the sheath-point pens. (12mm)

Something like that.... sorry to be imprecise. I used to know this for certain. But now I suffer from CRS (Can't remember shit).

I could be the standard size plunger pens and the PHAT touchdowns were the same and the OS Crest/Sentinal/Valiant were 1mm more.

But it is something like that.

-ish

34. The Following User Says Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

calamus (June 4th, 2019)

Thanks

That is a great looking classic snorkel Sentinel. A great score and an excellent pen. enjoy it in good health.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

calamus (June 4th, 2019)