Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Beware seller jjm5812, Jason Mei

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Default Re: Beware seller jjm5812, Jason Mei

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    Unfortunately it looks like another person may have responded to the same scam over at Pentrace. Just spotted this ad while surfing there.

http://members3.boardhost.com/PenMar...557352070.html
    Yes, but all you know is that they said they sent a PM in response to the ad. You have no idea whether they went through with any part of the transaction. They may well have smelled something funny and bailed before proceeding.

Too much speculation.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chemyst (May 24th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage-Nibs View Post
    I will admit, our transaction happened merely a few days ago and I asked to buy both of the pens. I asked him for additional pictures to the ones he posted, which is a tactic I use to see if the seller has the pen. As if they don't even had the pen how can they take different pictures. However, my lack of patience got the better of me, as I thought at these prices anyone will swoop in. I closed the deal as fast as I could. On google pay his email was visible, so I tried sending emails like my address to that email. No responses. And his FPGeeks inbox is full, how convenient. He has responded to me this morning but honestly everything including this has absolutely convinced me it's a scam, especially considering another person has bought the same pen.
    Unfortunately it looks like another person may have responded to the same scam over at Pentrace. Just spotted this ad while surfing there.

http://members3.boardhost.com/PenMar...557352070.html
    The person Wesley who replied to this offering on Pentrace did so on 5/10, about the same time I bought the Omas Arco Verde shown in those photos, which are the same photos that were posted here at FPGeeks AND at FPN.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "I am a galley slave to pen and ink." ~Honore de Balzac

Thanks

Default Beware seller jjm5812, Jason Mei

Yes, not saying Wesley offered to buy or paid for the pen(s) at Pentrace. Just a very unusual offering on three pen boards, especially after I’d paid for the Omas Arco Verde shown in those photos on 5/9.
    (Edited to correct my date)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kudzu View Post
    The person Wesley who replied to this offering on Pentrace did so on 5/10, about the same time I bought the Omas Arco Verde shown in those photos, which are the same photos that were posted here at FPGeeks AND at FPN.
    Yeah, but can you stop and think for a moment? The ad on Pentrace was up on the 8th. It isn't unusual for a seller to be lax in not going back and editing their ad to say it's been sold. For all we know (and if the seller had actually been an honest business person), the seller might have responded to "Wesley" on the 10th that the pen was spoken for, but that he would keep him in mind if the transaction didn't complete; or that he simply told him the pen was sold.

We don't know. There is still nothing suspicious in a person responding to an ad that has not been marked sold or taken down. You are operating without full information.

P.S. There is nothing wrong with running an ad for pens on multiple forums. I see it very, very often: FPN, FPG, Pentrace, sometimes reddit, sometimes eBay. It's common practice if you are trying to sell things.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

AzJon (May 28th, 2019), Chemyst (May 24th, 2019)

Thanks

Default Beware seller jjm5812, Jason Mei

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Yeah, but can you stop and think for a moment? The ad on Pentrace was up on the 8th. It isn't unusual for a seller to be lax in not going back and editing their ad to say it's been sold. For all we know (and if the seller had actually been an honest business person), the seller might have responded to "Wesley" on the 10th that the pen was spoken for, but that he would keep him in mind if the transaction didn't complete; or that he simply told him the pen was sold.

We don't know. There is still nothing suspicious in a person responding to an ad that has not been marked sold or taken down. You are operating without full information.
    You are right. I withdraw my implications. However, the fact that the Omas Arco Verde as pictured in the sales offering here at FPGeeks was sold to both me and Vintage-Pens (we both have paid for that Omas Arco) doesn’t give me much optimism for the seller’s honesty.

Last edited by Kudzu; May 24th, 2019 at 12:16 AM.

Thanks

You are right. I withdraw my implications.
    Before I head off to bed, I want to be clear: I'm on your side. I do have a feeling this person is running a con, or doing very sloppy business at best. I just don't want you to make more work, trouble or angst for yourself than necessary. I'm feeling like emotions are at play and that can cloud careful thinking and actions, which are of great value at times like this.

~ Benjamin Franklin

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Kudzu (May 24th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Thank you. Screenshot?
    Attachment 47203
    Maybe nothing but I thought the style of the advert looked familiar. It's much like this LINK

Similar enough to make me think about image appropriation.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (May 24th, 2019)

Thanks

I'm not sure if I can add to this particular story, but I have had a problem with the seller as well (around a year or so ago).
    If there is any way to help you please let me know. However, this case is quite different in the sense that in my case, the pen was returned to him but then 'dissapeared'.
    The connection between my case and this case is minimal at best, so no conlusions should be made too early. However, I can maybe shed some light on how he manipulated me as well.

Quickly reading this story, it (hunting trip, double sale,..) seems to be really scetchy. He used similair tricks in my case. Please allow me to elaborate

1) He did ship a pen, which was "lost". But in the public dispute (on this forum) he constantly referred to "a tracking". However: https://i.imgur.com/bWZwauX.png
    2) He tried to rip me off while I still hadn't recieved the pen.... -> https://i.imgur.com/8OeSbGR.png
    3) It took dayyyys and days to respond, even a week or more just to reply. Which was EXTREMELY frustrating knowing that my (then) most expensive was lost. Even other people had problems -> https://i.imgur.com/mINRF2T.png
    4) Then tried to manipulate me again -> https://i.imgur.com/bLEG1lI.png
    5) He then lied about the status of the package, which he didnt even resend! Then lying about a snowstorm justifying the delay (which was not a delay, he just didn't sent it...) -> https://i.imgur.com/UfWbccw.png

And a LOT more problems, frustration, lies and decieving me to 'ease my mind'. Telling from MY experience, the hunting SEEMS a lie
    My pen (ofcourse, what a coincidence) was "never found" and he decided to keep all the money not offering even a part of a refund. Meaning I paid full price for the pen AND lost the pen. (total lost >700usd).

I gave this a place already and I moved on from this issue. But I advice anyone to be careful about anything that he says.

EDIT: spelling and I also noticed he used the same tricks like 'the vet bill'
    Last edited by rubendh; May 24th, 2019 at 04:09 AM.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rubendh For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (May 24th, 2019), David L. (July 26th, 2019), jccjr (May 25th, 2019), Viktaurian (May 24th, 2019)

Thanks

This only highlights the importance of using PayPal Goods and Services!

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to drlilviv For This Useful Post:

AzJon (May 28th, 2019), azkid (May 24th, 2019), Chemyst (May 24th, 2019), David L. (July 26th, 2019), Jon Szanto (May 24th, 2019), rubendh (May 24th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,363 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drlilviv View Post
    This only highlights the importance of using PayPal Goods and Services!
    I would never use any other method.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

azkid (May 24th, 2019), Chemyst (May 24th, 2019)

Thanks

I discovered the listing for the Arco Verde a bit late. I decided to inquire about availability anyways with little hope... jjm5812 responded "There is a lot of interest but no payment received yet".

The answer was a surprise but I happily and promptly sent payment.

At least three of us sent payment for this pen now. The only difference with Kudzu and Vintage-Nibs is that I paid with Paypal and already got my money back.

This size of this thread is probably going to increase and increase, but the main conclusions will be: Don't do business with jjm5812 and only use Paypal.

19. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Aurora For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (May 24th, 2019), azkid (May 24th, 2019), Bisquitlips (May 24th, 2019), Chemyst (May 24th, 2019), David L. (July 26th, 2019), dbrfreak (May 24th, 2019), jccjr (May 25th, 2019), Kazoomi (June 12th, 2019), Viktaurian (May 24th, 2019), welch (June 9th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    I discovered the listing for the Arco Verde a bit late. I decided to inquire about availability anyways with little hope... jjm5812 responded "There is a lot of interest but no payment received yet".

The answer was a surprise but I happily and promptly sent payment.

At least three of us sent payment for this pen now. The only difference with Kudzu and Vintage-Nibs is that I paid with Paypal and already got my money back.

This size of this thread is probably going to increase and increase, but the main conclusions will be: Don't do business with jjm5812 and only use Paypal.
    This is really disappointing to hear. But the correct answer.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Chemyst (May 24th, 2019), dbrfreak (May 24th, 2019), Viktaurian (May 24th, 2019)

Thanks

Cool Re: Beware seller jjm5812, Jason Mei

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    the main conclusions will be: Don't do business with jjm5812 and only use Paypal.
    the correct answer.
    +1

and... any time you see any advert for any Arco, beware!

Failing that, here are some nice ASC pens from a couple of reputable sellers;

https://morastylos.com/stylos/neufs/...moni-club.html

https://chatterleyluxuries.com/produ...rmando-simoni/

Last edited by SIR; May 24th, 2019 at 06:56 AM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to SIR For This Useful Post:

Viktaurian (May 24th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    the main conclusions will be: Don't do business with jjm5812 and only use Paypal.
    the correct answer.

Failing that, here are some nice ASC pens from a couple of reputable sellers;

https://morastylos.com/stylos/neufs/...moni-club.html

https://chatterleyluxuries.com/produ...rmando-simoni/

Agree, the sellers (Morastylos & Chatterly) are very reputable.

ASC pens, however, are quite problematic.
    ASC's quality control and post sales service are both well documented to be awful.
    Beware!!!!

Careful due diligence should enable a Geek to find a legitimate & genuine Omas Arco pen at a price at or below ASC prices. A far better way to go.
    Morastylos has produced their Oldwin Classic Pens in many of the coveted vintage Omas celluloids including Arco Bronze & Arco Verde. They are more difficult to find but not impossible. And, they are exquisite.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 724Seney For This Useful Post:

jaskie (February 28th, 2022), SIR (May 25th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

Shouldn't this be in "Market Feedback" to which rules of conduct apply?
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

Chemyst (May 24th, 2019), Chrissy (May 24th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    ...At least three of us sent payment for this pen now....
    IMHO, there enough for a criminal investigation, now. The only effective way to stop this man is for local law enforcement to intervene. Otherwise, his change of ID in pen and other forums will cover his tracks and he'll continue to prey on us. I don't think he is all that smart, given his recent history and continued use of the same ID to perpetrate these thefts.
    I agree about the criminal investigation.
    My guess is even if (or when) he is prosecuted, he will change his ID and continue to scam people. It's the nature of the beast.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    Shouldn't this be in "Market Feedback" to which rules of conduct apply?
    Yes, it should. It's definitely not a : "Classified for Sale item."
    I assume OP can lock it at any time by marking it as Sold... but Eric may get here first

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Chemyst (May 24th, 2019)

Thanks

I think the reason these types of threads end up here is this is a far more read forum than the others. People go where the eyes are available to broadcast a message. It's why you see WTB ads here too even though there is a WTB forum "right next door."

I think in this case I support this particular example as I would not ever visit the Market Feedback forum. I will say there are a lot of aspersions being cast by well meaning third parties who are not adding to a factual resolution of this situation.

I hope those who have been wronged come forward and receive the support they deserve. This world of pen collectors/users in a wonderful community overall and it is a shame to know bad actors may be spoiling an otherwise enjoyable hobby/passion/obsession.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zaddick For This Useful Post:

jccjr (May 25th, 2019), rubendh (May 24th, 2019), taylorwfu (May 24th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zaddick View Post
    I will say there are a lot of aspersions being cast by well meaning third parties who are not adding to a factual resolution of this situation.
    Hear, hear.

Additionally, I have alerted the admin of the Pentrace Market Board about the issue. I note that this morning (i.e. since last night), someone else has inquired about the pen there. I have a feeling it is some 'well-meaning' person who is trying an amateur sleuth method of investigating the issue. Really dumb and doesn't help.

~ Benjamin Franklin

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

AzJon (May 28th, 2019), Chemyst (May 24th, 2019), Katduffy (May 27th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zaddick View Post
    I think the reason these types of threads end up here is this is a far more read forum than the others. People go where the eyes are available to broadcast a message. It's why you see WTB ads here too even though there is a WTB forum "right next door."

I think in this case I support this particular example as I would not ever visit the Market Feedback forum. I will say there are a lot of aspersions being cast by well meaning third parties who are not adding to a factual resolution of this situation.

I hope those who have been wronged come forward and receive the support they deserve. This world of pen collectors/users in a wonderful community overall and it is a shame to know bad actors may be spoiling an otherwise enjoyable hobby/passion/obsession.
    It doesn't really matter where it is as long as people read it, and many click on New Posts anyway, so those always appear at the top. I don't usually read Classified For Sale Ads, but am not marking that forum as read at the moment like I normally do.
    I hope that anyone who has lost any money as a result of this gets every penny of it back as soon as possible without too much effort.