Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Beware seller jjm5812, Jason Mei

Thanks

Default Beware seller jjm5812, Jason Mei

5/8, Wednesday night
    Jason listed an Omas Arco Verde for sale for $850. I said I would buy it. He agreed.

5/9, Thursday
    After some hiccups, I was able to make payment to the PayPal account Jason gave me. Jason then asked me to use either Cash Pay app or Google Pay instead because he didn’t want to pay PayPal’s fees and he was concerned about a hold on the funds because he hadn’t used his PayPal account for a while. He refunded my PayPal payment. After more hiccups setting up a Google Pay account and using my husband’s debit card (because I don’t have one, and GP wouldn’t accept a credit card), I paid Jason $850 using Google Pay, attaching a note that indicated it was for the Omas Arco Verde and giving him my mailing address (which he already had from the earlier PayPal transaction). He confirmed to me that he’d get the funds by 5/11, Saturday, when he said he needed to pay a vet bill. And he said, “I’ll have the pen boxed and packaged for you when I get home from work.” Then he said, “I’ll let you know once I’ve received the payment. Will have the pen packaged and shipped as soon as possible.” Next message said, “I have the pen ready to go, I might be able to make it to the post office before it closes today if I can make it in time. If not I will have it out as soon as possible. Either way I’ll have the tracking information sent to you as soon as I have it shipped.” I said “send when convenient,” thinking if he didn’t make the post office by close of business Thursday, he could mail it on 5/10, Friday, instead. His next message, “It seems the payment will come through on my end just in time on the 11th. I will try and have the pen shipped asap and will update you with tracking info once I have it.” To this day I have never received any tracking information from Jason.

5/14, Tuesday
    I sent PM to Jason, “I hope the payment for your pen arrived in good time for helping out with your vet bill. You mentioned sending me tracking info once you mailed the pen. Has it been mailed? Tracking information?” NO RESPONSE

5/16, Thursday
    My PM to Jason, “Hey, this is my second message to you asking about whether or not you have mailed the pen I bought from you last week. You said you would send me shipping information. What’s up?” NO RESPONSE

5/18, Saturday
    I emailed Jason the Google Pay email receipt at his gmail address that I received from Google Pay. I said, “I have not heard from you since paying for the Omas Arco Verde fountain pen. You said you would send me the tracking information when you mailed the fountain pen to me. Not only have I not heard from you, but you have not replied to any of my Direct Messages at Fountain Pen Geeks inquiring as to the status of the transaction. Since you have my money, I want the pen. If I have not received the fountain pen by Thursday, May 23rd, I will initiate a dispute with Google Pay for $850. Please let me know how you intend to resolve this issue.” I signed the email with my name and mailing address.

Then, to cover all bases, I sent him a FPGeeks PM that said, “Jason, I sent you an email at Jmei****@gmail.com. I would like you to send me the Omas Arco Verde fountain pen I paid for last week. You have neither sent me the tracking information as promised, nor have you replied to my several Direct Messages on this forum. Please resolve this situation or I will be forced to dispute the payment with Google Pay and to let the good people who buy and sell here at Fountain Pen Geeks know you seem to be stiffing me. Please send me the fountain pen. IF I HAVEN’T RECEIVED IT BY NEXT THURSDAY, MAY 23RD, I WILL TAKE ACTION.” [emphasis added] I signed it with my full name and address.

5/21, Tuesday, 6:30 p.m.
    Jason sent an email reply to my 5/18 email to him, “Hey Cherry, first off I apologize for the delayed response/lack of communication. I’ve been away on a hunting trip since the 15th and get back on the 28th, unfortunately where I am I don’t have service or internet so I haven’t been able to access any of those services. I’m currently back in town for the night restocking on some supplies we ran out of. It was not my intention to have you anxious or worrying about the situation, so I apologize for worrying you. I dropped off the pen at a Parcel Plus store in my area on Tuesday the 14th before I left on my trip. I sent you a PM on fpgeeks with the tracking info the same day - did you not see/receive that? In any case, I will call home and see about having the tracking receipt/# sent over to me and I will have that sent over to you asap. The Parcel Plus store has regular USPS pickups once or twice a week. The package should have left their possession and picked up by USPS on Monday [the 13th, since he said he left for hunting trip the 14th? So he would have mailed it the 13th] so it should be on its way to you. Anyways, I apologize for worrying you and not getting back to you sooner. I will only be in town for the next hour or so but I will try to see about checking back in at some point before I get back home the 28th. As for the thread you mentioned about me being a scammer. I know the thread you are talking about....” Jason went on to explain his view of that April 2018 transaction with rubendh that went badly. [I never mentioned a thread to him or him being a scammer because I wasn’t aware of his previous history. I merely said I would call him out on FPGeeks if I didn’t receive the pen by the 23rd because it appears that he’s trying to stiff me. At that point, yes, I went and found the thread in question and read it, all 151 posts.]

At 6:47 p.m. I replied to Jason’s text, “ Hi, Jason. My husband is ready to erupt in fury over my not having received the expensive pen yet. I’ve been holding him off to see what Thursday would bring. No, I did not receive any tracking information from you via Fountain Pen Geeks direct messaging system. [Nor in an email.] In my several communications with you I have included my mailing address so that shouldn’t have been an issue. I need the pen by Thursday [5/23].

At 6:52 p.m. I sent him another email that said, “The last PM message I have from you at FPG was sent May 10th [Friday].”

5/23, Thursday [TODAY]
    At 10:40 a.m. I received a 7:31 a.m. email from Jason that says, “Hey Cherry, well unfortunately I am unable to control USPS delivery speed and times. I was told 3-5 days as a delivery estimate after USPS receives the package when I dropped it off at Parcel Plus; so considering a Monday pickup I would give it at least until Fri/Sat. It takes me ~2hrs to get to town for service/WiFi so unfortunately I won’t be able to keep in constant contact with you - I didn’t realize there were any issues until yesterday so I will try my best to check in when I can but a 4hr+ round trip is tough. All I have are email updates for the package that I setup before leaving so that’s all I have to go off. Once I get back on Monday morning I can send you the tracking # from the receipt but you should receive it before then...[comment about the photos in the For Sale listing]...No the address is not an issue, I sent it to the address you provided me.” Attached is a photo showing someone holding a Priority Mail box with my correct mailing address and a return address for Jason in Maryland. There’s no receipt or tracking information with the package, just showing the box after it’s been addressed.

At 10:43 a.m. I sent this reply, “Jason, today is Thursday, May 23rd. I paid you on Thursday, May 9th. If you mailed it on Monday, May 13, it should be here by now. I never received a tracking PM from you on FPGeeks. Please take a photo of it and resend it. If it doesn’t arrive by today, my deadline, I am going public.”

IT’S MAY 23RD, AND I’M GOING PUBLIC. I EITHER WANT THE PEN OR MY MONEY BACK. And if the pen ever shows up, I’ll apologize and let you all know immediately.

Additional information:
    I just learned today that Google Pay, which Jason asked me to use after he refunded my PayPal payment, is a peer-to-peer money transfer situation. There are no dispute resolution options for me through Google Pay. Once I pay him, he has the money and I have no recourse through Google Pay.

I spoke with USPS about Priority Mail mailing times from Maryland to California, where I live. I was told 2-3 days. I called Parcel Plus in Jason’s city asking how often USPS picked up packages there. I left a message and have not heard back. But I cannot imagine a mailing company that doesn’t both receive AND send out mail on a daily basis. However, even assuming the package didn’t leave Parcel Plus until Monday, 5/20 (a full week/7 days after he said he mailed it via them), the pen should have arrived by yesterday.

I also signed up for Informed Delivery at US Postal Service. It shows no packages being delivered today, and, indeed, there were none in my mailbox today. Without a tracking number, USPS cannot help me, and Jason has not sent me tracking information that he said he would send and that I’ve asked for six times.

Ok, fellow FPGeeks. This is my sad, infuriating story about trying to buy an expensive pen from seller Jason Mei, jjm5812. Yes, Caveat Emptor, indeed. I WANT THE PEN OR MY MONEY BACK ASAP. Thanks for reading.
    "I am a galley slave to pen and ink." ~Honore de Balzac

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Kudzu For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Ahriman4891 (May 23rd, 2019), AndyLogan (May 27th, 2019), Bisquitlips (June 11th, 2019), BlkWhiteFilmPix (May 24th, 2019), bluefeathers (July 29th, 2019), ChrisC (May 23rd, 2019), David L. (July 26th, 2019), jackokun (May 26th, 2019), jbb (May 24th, 2019), kenshiro (May 23rd, 2019), lomoking (May 25th, 2019), Zhivago (June 1st, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Default Re: Beware seller jjm5812, Jason Mei

Quote Originally Posted by Kudzu View Post
    Thanks for reading.
    You are being optimistic: no way would I spend time reading all that.

Since no one but you two know what has transpired, you could have just said you've had a bad transaction with this seller and buyers should beware. The rest is just Judge Judy material for those not involved.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (June 11th, 2019), Chemyst (May 24th, 2019), Fouez (May 24th, 2019)

Thanks

Given what happened with seller last year, I just wanted the information to be clear. Thanks, though, for your feedback.

Also, a PM just suggested I dispute via my credit card. Except Google Pay doesn’t accept credit cards, just debit cards. Grrr.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks

Given what happened with seller last year...
    I have no knowledge of this. If the seller was suspect, why would you purchase from them? I'm not trying to needle you, believe me, but you seem to have attempted purchase from a sketchy seller using a payment method with which you are unfamiliar. That does sound like an accident waiting to happen to an outside observer.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (June 11th, 2019), Chemyst (May 24th, 2019), Viktaurian (May 23rd, 2019)

Thanks

I had a similar problem with Jason. I purchased a Omas Saffron for $600 from him on pentrace.
    He promised that he would ship it with tracking the following day. Nothing arrived for 4 days, so I emailed him and He responded saying that he had been out of town and would ship it soon. Well 6 days later no pen or response to my emails. I then started a PayPal dispute with him
    I never received another email from him. However, the pen arrived in good condition on day 18 and it writes well. I only use Paypal . I hope your pen arrives soon. I know the feeling of no pen or money. Good luck.

Tom Klonowski

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tklonowski For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (May 24th, 2019), jccjr (May 25th, 2019), Kazoomi (June 12th, 2019), Kudzu (May 23rd, 2019), silverlifter (May 23rd, 2019), Viktaurian (May 23rd, 2019)

Thanks

I just received an email from Jason giving me a tracking number. He says he sent it via PM to me on 5/12, but I have no PMs or other messages from him on 5/12. Nor any PMs on any other date with that tracking number. His email included a jpg that seems to say he sent me that tracking info. While the tracking info does not say the package is being sent to ME or that the shipped material is from him, it does say that the USPS received possession of it 5/22, YESTERDAY. Jason is very angry at me for being worried, anxious, and causing him problems over this. I will apologize if/when the pen arrives. But the fact that USPS says they took possession of the package yesterday makes me question his story.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kudzu For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (June 11th, 2019), David L. (July 26th, 2019), Kazoomi (June 12th, 2019)

Thanks

You can often dispute debit card purchases as well. Call your bank/credit union.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mcmck For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (May 23rd, 2019), Bisquitlips (June 11th, 2019), silverlifter (May 23rd, 2019), Viktaurian (May 23rd, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Given what happened with seller last year...
    I have no knowledge of this. If the seller was suspect, why would you purchase from them? I'm not trying to needle you, believe me, but you seem to have attempted purchase from a sketchy seller using a payment method with which you are unfamiliar. That does sound like an accident waiting to happen to an outside observer.
    I only learned about his past history after the purchase as I tried to figure out how to handle things. And, yes, using Google Pay with which I was unfamiliar was unwise. My non-fountain-pen-using-husband has now brow-beaten me enough over that.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kudzu For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (June 11th, 2019), Kazoomi (June 12th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mcmck View Post
    You can often dispute debit card purchases as well. Call your bank/credit union.
    Thank you for that info. I didn’t know that. I’ll check it out during business hours tomorrow.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Kudzu For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (June 11th, 2019)

Thanks

My non-fountain-pen-using-husband has now brow-beaten me enough over that.
    I didn't mean to pile on, sorry. Hoping for the best for you and the pen.

~ Benjamin Franklin

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I am a vet and live in MD, PM me his addrees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The secret of getting ahead is getting started-- Mark Twain

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wingwiper For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (June 11th, 2019), David L. (July 26th, 2019)

Thanks

Having one black mark like this against your name is unfortunate, and could plausibly be attributed to miscommunication, postal failure, etc.

Two, or potentially three, invariably brings into question either his intelligence or integrity. My money is on the latter...

I hope you get the pen.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (June 11th, 2019), Kazoomi (June 12th, 2019), Kudzu (May 23rd, 2019)

Thanks

[QUOTE=Jon Szanto;265413]
    Thanks for reading.
    "You are being optimistic: no way would I spend time reading all that."

Well, I did! And, I'm glad I did.
    My thoughts:
    1) I learn something important every time a thread like this gets started......
    2) To my knowledge, FPG is the only currently active pen discussion forum that will allow a light to be shined on bad sellers (or buyers) and I am grateful for it.
    3) Hopefully this will not evolve into the same idiot's delight we all witnessed when jjm5812 & rubendh went after one another. The only constructive conclusion of that folly was that many of us concluded we'd never do a transaction with either one of them.
    4) Never, ever let any seller (other than someone you know very well) talk you out of using PayPal or some other means of payment where your payment is covered. You never know when you might have a problem with a seller and having the "peace of mind" of knowing they cannot take your money & run is a wonderful thing.
    5) If using PayPal, don't let the seller talk you into using "Family & Friends" because you will relinquish that "peace of mind" coverage.
    6) There are always (at least) two sides to every story and both sides should be allowed to offer their version of it.
    6a) It's awfully hard to see how the other side of this story will make it appear any the less likely that the OP has gotten screwed by this seller and we all need to be careful to not make an already upset and anxious fellow Geek feel like she was the bad actor in this story.

We are all pulling for you Kudzu. Thank you for sharing your story. Good luck and please keep us posted.

25. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to 724Seney For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Ahriman4891 (May 23rd, 2019), bebox (May 24th, 2019), Bisquitlips (May 24th, 2019), BlkWhiteFilmPix (May 24th, 2019), calamus (May 24th, 2019), damfino (September 18th, 2020), David L. (July 26th, 2019), jah1138 (May 23rd, 2019), Kazoomi (June 12th, 2019), Kudzu (May 23rd, 2019), Viktaurian (May 23rd, 2019)

Thanks

Thank you. With USPS now in possession of a package that I hope is addressed to me, I await the mail. I’ll definitely let you all know what happens. Jason said he’s out hunting and won’t be in contact again until Monday, 5/27. I still do not know why I did did not receive tracking info on 5/12 when he says he sent it. As I said, USPS says it took possession of the pkg yesterday.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kudzu For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (June 11th, 2019), Kazoomi (June 12th, 2019)

Thanks

Ok....... Gaithersburg is near Rockville, but have no clue what he is hunting for at this time of year in MD?
    Sounds fishy........keep us posted. We’ll put the sqeeze and the fear of God in him. He should be banned from selling on FPGEEKS even after you receive it
    Wes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The secret of getting ahead is getting started-- Mark Twain

29. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wingwiper For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (May 24th, 2019), BlkWhiteFilmPix (May 24th, 2019), David L. (July 26th, 2019), Kazoomi (June 12th, 2019), Kudzu (May 23rd, 2019), Vintage-Nibs (May 23rd, 2019)

Thanks

And here I was worried about not getting a good deal on an Arco Verde...

As for not using Paypal, I've only had one seller (off of here, actually) ask me to use something else and instead I added on ~3% to cover the fees. I'd rather have that dispute resolution channel available rather than save the 3%.

Good luck and let us know how it writes when it comes in.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dbrfreak For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (May 24th, 2019), David L. (July 26th, 2019), Kudzu (May 23rd, 2019)

Thanks

[QUOTE=dbrfreak;265430]
    "As for not using Paypal, I've only had one seller (off of here, actually) ask me to use something else and instead I added on ~3% to cover the fees. I'd rather have that dispute resolution channel available rather than save the 3%."

Absolutely!! It's inexpensive insurance. If the seller wants to nit pick about the fees I will cover the cost in a heartbeat.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 724Seney For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (June 11th, 2019), dbrfreak (May 24th, 2019)

Thanks

Default Beware seller jjm5812, Jason Mei

Seller says he dropped at parcel service May 12, and USPS shows received ten days later, I call bullshit. 'Nuff said.

If pen hasn't arrived by Friday please post to let the Geeks know.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wade For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (June 11th, 2019), David L. (July 26th, 2019), Kazoomi (June 12th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wade View Post
    Seller says he dropped at parcel service May 12, and USPS shows received ten days later, I call bullshit. 'Nuff said.

If pen hasn't arrived by Friday please post to let the Geeks know.
    I will. Thanks.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Kudzu For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hey Kudzu-

I don't know if this will make you feel any better but the Arco Verde is a drop dead gorgeous pen.
    And, $850 is a killer price if it is in the condition (10/10) that jjm5812 claims. Heck, $850 would be a great price for a legitimate 8/10 Arco Verde.....

Hopefully this will end well. You will have a gorgeous pen and the Geeks (or those who already hadn't decided to stay away) will be all the wiser about steering clear of the guy.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to 724Seney For This Useful Post: