Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Not a Hobbyist

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

Default Re: Not a Hobbyist

Quote Originally Posted by kazoolaw View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    Quite right too! Your post was long and very readable. I can't imagine why people would be critical about the length. Maybe it was too demanding for their easily-tired little minds. Poor things. I think it's down to all those snippets of information we get fed on television. We're trained to accept nothing longer than ten seconds before the attention wanders.
    I can't imagine why people would be critical of the economy of Jon's post.
    Perhaps you might break training, turn off your television, and polish your sarcasm.
    Nothing a little editing would help.
    Sarcasm? I doubt if you would recognise sarcasm if it leapt up and bit you on the arse.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

[QUOTE=Deb;267306]
    Sarcasm? I doubt if you would recognise sarcasm if it leapt up and bit you on the arse.
    Stunned into a cliche I see.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    I agree with Scrawler. I don't need fountain pens. I spend up to an hour daily, fooling with pens, filling some, testing some and less than a minute writing with them. I use a ballpoint much more, typically a nice Parker 51 bp, a Papermate bp or a Montblanc 164 red or black one. Those last were $44 each from Fahrneys in 1983.

All my pens are pretty old.
    A majority of my pens are pretty old too, but I have a few relatively modern ones, such as Delta and Edison. I am not actually sure where most people place modern, old, classic or antique. I am currently using a 1983 MB 146. That is a modern pen to me, and I think of it as a new pen. Last week I was using a Parker Falcon from 1980. That was just so super modern in 1980 that it fits in my category of classic, and definitely does not feel like a new pen. I suppose they are "old" when they are pre-1970. The oldest pen I have that still gets used is a 1904 Boston, and the newest is a Delta Israel 60th Anniversary.

Thanks

Full Moon in Sagittarius, and something with Gemini, it's summer, higher temperatures, probably something in the drinking water too. Plastic bottles are not to be trusted. There's all kinds of local factors, it obviously makes people very annoyed with each other. Hopefully easier next week when people have blowed off some steam ;- )

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arrow For This Useful Post:

catbert (June 16th, 2019), Sailor Kenshin (June 16th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

[QUOTE=kazoolaw;267320]
    Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    Stunned into a cliche I see.
    Oh, woe is me! I am crushed by your sparkling wit and perspicacity. I retire from the field of combat dragging my battered cliches behind me, shamed and humiliated. Where did I leave the sackcloth and ashes? ( Have a look over that and see if the s-word might apply and don't forget to pick up any cliches I heedlessly scattered around.)
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

Sackcloth and ashes: the uniform of a flagellant.
    I'll leave the cliche recycling to you.

Thanks

Please, do you really need to fight?
    Difference of opinions is a salutary thing, why transform into something disagreable?

So, some write a lot, others don't, where is the problem?

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to fountainpagan For This Useful Post:

AzJon (June 16th, 2019), catbert (June 16th, 2019), Jon Szanto (June 16th, 2019), kazoolaw (June 16th, 2019), Lady Onogaro (June 16th, 2019), penwash (June 16th, 2019), silverlifter (June 16th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    The direction of this thread really bothers me. The OP is of a very benign nature, a musing on how one views their involvement with these objects. Hardly inflammatory stuff.

Why can’t people read responses to glean the intent and ideas being offered, instead of focusing on things like tone, length and perceived agendas? As just one example, one of my critical flaws as a writer is unchecked verbosity. In addition to the fact that I’ve been recovering from a hospital stay and merely typing on my iPad, I thought my response was an easy choice for brevity. It said what I needed it to say, and yet the manner of my expression has superseded the message.

The world has a lot of ugly. Let’s all take a breath and not have it flourish here, as well.
    I hope you are feeling okay, Jon. My best wishes to you for your recovery.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

AzJon (June 16th, 2019), fountainpagan (June 17th, 2019), Jon Szanto (June 16th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by christof View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    ...These are subjects, among others, that excite many members here to be sure. Just not me.
    Interesting statement....

...specially in regard of the years of your membership (5) and the number of posts (1656, 331 per year, almost one post a day...) on a fountain pen board!

C.

PS: I am definitely a hobbyist. To be honest, I'm a hard core collector (almost pathological). The limitation to fountain pens only demands the greatest self-control from me.
    I am in the pathological club! Been collecting since 1988 and loved every minute of it!

I like this video from a professor in the Philippines. He has the right idea.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bisquitlips For This Useful Post:

AzJon (June 17th, 2019), fountainpagan (June 17th, 2019), Jon Szanto (June 17th, 2019), sospiro (June 17th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
    I like this video from a professor in the Philippines. He has the right idea.
    Jose is such a great guy and wonderful writer. Thanks for posting that! (I've seen it before, but still...)
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

I think I am a hobbyist.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    I think I am a hobbyist.
    I have known you long enough to believe that your attitudes and usages are very similar to my own. I think you are a hobbyist.

Thanks

I consider myself a hobbyist in that I like to collect fountain pens. I like to collect even more so than I like using them. Some of that is probably because my hands shake and my penmanship isn’t what it once was. I’ve never grown tired of buying them and I have no intentions of ever selling any.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TAYLORPUPPY For This Useful Post:

penwash (July 7th, 2019)

Thanks

First post here this AM. I appreciate those who collect and those who repair and those who write because without them I have less useful information. Thank you to all.

My collection is four pens. I've restored four and bought two already restored. Two are restorations for a daughter and one for a friend. All are Esterbrook J type. I have a Lamy Al Star that's a daily carrier.

It has been enjoyable to find, restore, and use a tool that's older than I am, and I am 64. Thank you if you made some of the videos on changing out a sac, installed a j bar, or contributed to anything I needed to make a pen come back to life.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

azkid (September 21st, 2019)

Thanks

This is my favorite thread.

I like fountain pens. I like that there are so many diverse ways to enjoy them, both modern and vintage: collect, repair, delve into history, research, write, draw, hold, admire, photograph, pen posses, pen shows, and converse on pen forums about this shared interest.

I’ve done all the above to some degree, except attend a pen show. Interestingly enough, I identified with at least something each of you has expressed here. Where I did not identify with a thought or feeling expressed, I found it interesting to read your different perspective.

I don’t like labels, but I’m probably a hobbyist. I don’t like that word though (don’t know why, but probably because labels tend to constrict), so I’m just going to say again that I like fountain pens.

Thanks for opening this discussion, Empty_of_Clouds.

Thanks

I bought a second hand pen two weeks ago ( a Cross Century). it is a rather beautiful pen, but I've spent the last couple of weeks trying to get it working right. It writes when I force ink into the feed, but after a while it dried up. It's had a good clean - so it's not gunk - I've wedged a bent staple into the convertor to eliminate the possibility of a vapour lock - but I'm starting to suspect that there might be baby's bottom as the nib does seem to have a rather large blob of iridium on the bottom. I'm using a wetter ink and so far so good.

However, here's the rub. Rather than writing - which is why I can to fountain pens as writing implements - I've spent more time nursing this pen back to life - and I'm thinking - how much time have I spent tinkering instead of writing? I have more than enough pens to write with - yet here I am trying to get this pen to write - rather than trying to write the novels and letters I need to get done.

So, It's time to rethink. I came into this because I want to write - and somehow, all the tinkering & stuff is getting in the way. I recognised this when I looked down and realised I'd filled five pages with figures of 8, crosses and symbols to try and coax ink out of the pen, rather than attempt to get words and phrases down.

I've got three lovely (very expensive) pens to use at home as desk pens - so one black ink, one royal blue and the last violet or something. I've got a sacrificial Lamy in my desk at work - with a bottle of black ink - and I have a couple of pen sets to slip into a pen case to function as EDCs - and tons of journals and enough ink to sink a battleship.

I've joined a Masterclass on Writing, hosted by Margaret Attwood - so I'm going to try and shift my focus onto postcards. letters, poems and novels - and the acquisition and tinkering has to stop for now. It is getting in the way of my original objective. If a pens stop writing, I'll substitute it - and resist the urge to tinker.

Let's see how it goes - and maybe I'll be able to sell some pens too, once I've worked out which ones I want to keep - and which ones are just taking up space and not earning their keep.

Does this sound at all familiar to anyone?

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy For This Useful Post:

catbert (September 21st, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Absolutely! I can't have more than a day or two go by without my work on repairing and restoring this pen or that pen getting rudely interrupted by having to sit down and WRITE SOMETHING! It's so frustrating.

Oh, wait...

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

catbert (September 21st, 2019), Sandy (September 22nd, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

... and I'm thinking - how much time have I spent tinkering instead of writing?

Very familiar. I like fixing things and so it inevitably finds itself creeping into my every area of interest. In some cases, the fixing takes over and I lose sight of the original interest. I either have to take a break from fixing, or throw in the towel on the broken thing, so I can focus on my primary interest. Definitely sounds like you're at that point.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

Sandy (September 22nd, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

However, here's the rub. Rather than writing - which is why I can to fountain pens as writing implements - I've spent more time nursing this pen back to life - and I'm thinking - how much time have I spent tinkering instead of writing? I have more than enough pens to write with - yet here I am trying to get this pen to write - rather than trying to write the novels and letters I need to get done.

So, It's time to rethink. I came into this because I want to write - and somehow, all the tinkering & stuff is getting in the way. I recognised this when I looked down and realised I'd filled five pages with figures of 8, crosses and symbols to try and coax ink out of the pen, rather than attempt to get words and phrases down.

It depends on the perspective. The scenario you outlined is familiar to me.
    But rather than regarding tinkering as something in the way, I regard it as part of the enjoyment of the hobby.

Take this pen for example:

I spent hours restoring it because there were multiple things that were -- literally -- messed-up. In the end, this beautiful pen made in the 1920's had been nursed back to life, and I get to do what I love to do with fountain pens: Sketching. But rather than a waste, those hours spent tinkering are part of the hobby that I enjoyed.

Now, I'm not saying that *everyone* has to love tinkering, not at all, I'm simply presenting an alternative perspective that may be used when facing similar situations in the future.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

This is the first day since the spring that I have had time to enjoy reading up on so many threads on FPG. My life has been a whirlwind this year but I did manage to keep up adding to my collection of fountain pens. I found slivers of time to enjoy collecting. I use fountain pens in my daily work if only for notes and correspondence. I would say it is most definitely a hobby for me as it is something to think about and tinker with other than my businesses. For me the look and mostly the feel of a pen are the important factors. I have a vertical pen box on both of my desks so they are there for me to at least glance at while I am on a computer or phone. I enjoy playing around with a nib when I can. I am not into repairing or fixing them as I do so much manual making all day that in my pen life I would rather leave that to others. So it is a hobby that gives a lot to my soul. I have been working on my handwriting and it has improved greatly since I went through a years treatment for Lyme. No more uncontrollable hand jerks and tremors. I like newer pens and most by artisans. The reason is I am an artisan and I like to support others who make. I have so many antiques and old things in my life that it is not important for me to add to that except now and again if an older pen really sings to me. It is a hobby of great pleasure to me and obviously most everyone on FPG. It is great reading so many fun threads. Thank you all!

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NibsForScript For This Useful Post:

azkid (September 22nd, 2019), Zou (September 22nd, 2019)