Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not a Hobbyist

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Not a Hobbyist

Sitting at my desk at home, writing a letter to a foreign correspondent, when it dawned on me that I am not really a fountain pen hobbyist. Sure they are my preferred tool to write with, but I don't have any drive to learn about their history, how to fix them (at least seldom does this happen), or any particular interest in trends. These are subjects, among others, that excite many members here to be sure. Just not me.

While this may seem similar to the other thread about being comfortable in a rut, I don't really see it that way. In general an artist does not need to be a pencil hobbyist in order to produce art. Of course I am far from being any kind of artist (except perhaps a piss artist - to get in ahead of the crowd ), yet the principle still applies.

This is not to say that I won't buy any more pens, though it is more likely that I will acquire replacements rather than additions. For example, I have a Pilot 823 fine nib that is very nice, but if I tried a medium nib and liked it more I would be inclined to sell the first and replace with the latter.

Further to this I believe that my hand will not get sufficiently better to warrant many different kinds of nibs. The fine motor skills are simply not there.

Do DIY enthusiasts gather together to show off their latest hammer? Maybe they do!

A dictionary defines a hobby as: "An activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure."

I eat food in my leisure time and enjoy it very much. It's not a hobby though.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Morgaine (June 4th, 2019), TSherbs (June 3rd, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

Default Re: Not a Hobbyist

I think many of us have different approaches to our interest in pens. I sell pens because in that way I get to handle many more than I could ever afford to keep and thereby learn about them and their history. I have no urge to collect but I do retain pens that write well for me because I write a lot. I also keep a photographic archive of all the pens I handle.

Those of us who amass many restoration tools do take pride in them and compare them.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

AzJon (May 27th, 2019), Bisquitlips (June 17th, 2019), Jon Szanto (June 6th, 2019), Kaputnik (May 27th, 2019), pajaro (May 30th, 2019), penwash (May 27th, 2019), SchaumburgSwan (May 30th, 2019)

Thanks

Interesting.

When I want to write it is because I want to write, and not because I have a hankering to use a specific type of pen. That I use fountain pens is almost entirely down to their being the best tool for the task (IMO, natch).

A question of emphasis perhaps.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

ceebert (September 24th, 2019)

Thanks

I don't see the difference. I don't write because I have a hankering to use a particular kind of pen but because I have something I need to write about.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 7,814 Times in 1,426 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    ...These are subjects, among others, that excite many members here to be sure. Just not me.
    Interesting statement....

...specially in regard of the years of your membership (5) and the number of posts (1656, 331 per year, almost one post a day...) on a fountain pen board!

C.

PS: I am definitely a hobbyist. To be honest, I'm a hard core collector (almost pathological). The limitation to fountain pens only demands the greatest self-control from me.
    Last edited by christof; May 27th, 2019 at 05:40 AM.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

amk (June 17th, 2019), Bisquitlips (June 17th, 2019), Deb (May 27th, 2019), oldstoat (May 28th, 2019), pajaro (May 30th, 2019), penwash (May 27th, 2019)

Thanks

Perhaps you should get together with Wuddus, E-O-C. He doesn't care about fountain pens but posts about them a lot, too.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (June 6th, 2019), Morgaine (June 4th, 2019), oldstoat (May 28th, 2019), pajaro (May 30th, 2019), Wuddus (June 3rd, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

By the dictionary definition given here, I am a hobbyist. I write letters and I journal and I take specific pleasure in looking over my pens and deciding which six to use for the week and choosing the ink for each. And yes, I sometimes do hanker after writing with a specific pen...
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (June 6th, 2019), Kaputnik (May 27th, 2019), pajaro (May 30th, 2019), Scrawler (June 4th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

I see where you're coming from, I think.

I just joined a flashlight forum and realized that even though I have a few decent lights, I have no interest in collecting them, learning all the brands and models, trying the latest, or posting about them, or any of that.

I just wanted a compact one to carry with me day to day. I had it all along once I discovered how to activate medium and high power modes; I always thought it was too dim!

I'd rather be camping than thinking about flashlights. I am definitely not a flashlight hobbyist, in stark contrast to my attitude toward fountain pens.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

FreeLance (June 2nd, 2019), Kaputnik (May 27th, 2019), Morgaine (June 4th, 2019), NibsForScript (September 22nd, 2019), pajaro (May 30th, 2019)

Thanks

Confession: I have to actively look for things to use my pens on. I have one pen pal that is active and one that gets a letter off once every month or two. I no longer take classes or am in school, the charting I do is now all digital, and the remainder of my correspondence is done electronically (this forum, for example). I manage to journal sporadically, but even that isn't much ink-to-page.

I do, however, enjoy the history and the looks of pens. There are so many shiny pens out there! I have very little interest overall in modern pens because they, broadly, lack the charm of vintage celluloid and hard rubber. The current exception to that is my recently acquired Pelikan Toledo. Even then, that pen comes down to an interesting manufacturing process and really neat looks.

I also agree with Deb: I like picking up old pens, fixing them up, and either selling them or keeping them. By doing this, I have been able to handle and use far more pens that I would have otherwise.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

Kaputnik (May 27th, 2019), pajaro (May 30th, 2019)

Thanks

Part of it is hobby, dip nibs, flex nib fountain pens, copperplate and spencerian are both directed at improving my self (at least my writing). It's on my spare time, and both a struggle at times but mostly enjoyment.

I don't mind repairing an old pen, and they are generally aimed for use. I keep pens with various nibs, medium to extra fine for most writing, and stub nibs for some script styles. How can I stick to one nib? When I search for vintage and flex nib pens, I'm quicly bumping into items from 1930s, 1920s and even pre WWI. I have to admit I enjoy all of it, and I compare the brand new pens to the old once.
    Last edited by arrow; May 27th, 2019 at 01:19 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to arrow For This Useful Post:

pajaro (May 30th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by christof View Post
    ...These are subjects, among others, that excite many members here to be sure. Just not me.
    Interesting statement....

...specially in regard of the years of your membership (5) and the number of posts (1656, 331 per year, almost one post a day...) on a fountain pen board!

C.

People change. My focus is now on what I write, and not on what I write with (other than choosing the best tool for task).

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post

I just joined a flashlight forum and realized that even though I have a few decent lights, I have no interest in collecting them, learning all the brands and models, trying the latest, or posting about them, or any of that.

I just wanted a compact one to carry with me day to day. I had it all along once I discovered how to activate medium and high power modes; I always thought it was too dim!

I'd rather be camping than thinking about flashlights. I am definitely not a flashlight hobbyist, in stark contrast to my attitude toward fountain pens.
    I hear you. I have an Olight SR10 on my Bay watchlist. Currently carry a Fenix PD22 which, although a great flashight, is a bit to bulky for office EDC.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

azkid (May 27th, 2019), pajaro (May 30th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    Perhaps you should get together with Wuddus, E-O-C. He doesn't care about fountain pens but posts about them a lot, too.
    Agree with Deb. I think you two would get along very well, at least in terms of declaring your disinterest on fountain pens as something that is actually very fun to collect, tinker with, in addition to use.

Don't get me wrong. I use my pens, I logged 300+ posts on Instagram that is almost exclusively sketches done with the pens I restored. So I can join the "pens are to be used" chant as well.

But I am also a pen collector, and I am very cool with the idea of appreciating pens just for the sake of themselves.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

AzJon (May 27th, 2019), pajaro (May 30th, 2019)

Thanks

I have to assume that anyone who draws and writes take and intersest in their pens and pencils. I would expect anyone who register on a forum like this to have an above average interest in fountain pens, and personally I'm interested in exploring the various types and advantages with them. I can understand most people want's to keep it within limits and not spend too much money and energy on the tools themselves, but at least a thoughtful apporach to select the right ones.

Thanks

It's very easy and tempting to simplify everything to a black and white proposition. For example, I care for my fountain pens (I maintain them well, like you should for any tool) but I don't care about fountain pens in general beyond finding what works for effectively for me. Two different things.

The collecting and tinkering aspects are not intrinsically fun, but some people find them so. In the same way that a storm is not intrinsically bad, though some do not appreciate it.

Look, this was all a personal expression, an understanding/realisation of what it meant to me, and not in any way an attempt to criticise those who consider this a hobby. This is why I mention art. I've been to a fair few conventions where artists got together and discussed their "hobby", and while they may extol the virtues of sable as a brush material or certain pencil brands for their consistency of line, I have never heard artists debating the relative merits of grip thickness, the weight or ornamentation of their tools. Also, I don't recall seeing limited or special edition brushes/palette knives/whatever being sold. And yet here we are, in fountain pen world, where those other aspects are often as hotly pursued as the writing characteristics of the nibs. I find this a little strange, harmless though it (mostly) may be.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

pajaro (May 30th, 2019)

Thanks

About a decade ago there was a tv series called “British Biker Build-Off”. In one of the episodes, one of the builders showed off his collection of socket wrenches...including unused ones, and limited editions...

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linger For This Useful Post:

amk (June 17th, 2019), azkid (May 27th, 2019)

Thanks

Fountain pens can be acquired for a lot of reasons, it does of course not have to include them all. There's the very fancy pens, expensive, high-end, with or with out a geniune diamond on the top of the cap. There's no end to the exlusiveness and luxury for those who seek it, at the other end of the scale are the simpler utility versions. Limited editions are for those who have a special interest, among other things they stand out and are collectable.

For writing, you quickly notice what suits your fingers and what doesn't. I can use the average Pilot rubber grip, but I can't use the Equivalent Pentel version with out noticing it. The two millimeter wider diameter of the grip causes a strain in my hand. Most fountain pens are within acceptable for me, but not all. I have to admit, nice mother of pearl stripes, gold nib, shiny celluloid and hard rubber materials attract my attention. Go into a hobby store or speciality store where they sell mink or weasle hair brushes, those who paint for a living knows all about the various qualities and properties of nylon hair, natural hair and plant fibers. How can you get get to know about the various nibs and how they behave with out trying them out?
    Last edited by arrow; May 27th, 2019 at 05:19 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 587 Posts

I have pet names for all my fountain pens, and I feed them yummy inks and tuck them in at night. Of course, I also go out in the woods with tiny raincoats for bunny rabbits when it rains.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

31. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

azkid (May 27th, 2019), Deb (May 27th, 2019), fountainpenkid (May 29th, 2019), Morgaine (June 4th, 2019), NibsForScript (September 22nd, 2019), Voiren (May 27th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 237 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post

LED headlamps are where it's at!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arrow View Post
    Fountain pens can be acquired for a lot of reasons, it does of course not have to include them all. There's the very fancy pens, expensive, high-end, with or with out a geniune diamond on the top of the cap. There's no end to the exlusiveness and luxury for those who seek it, at the other end of the scale are the simpler utility versions. Limited editions are for those who have a special interest, among other things they stand out and are collectable.
    Well said.
    For me, vintage fountain pens are the most fascinating of all.
    Some of these really have transcend their original purpose as a tool to become an artifact (a time-capsule so to speak) that make you wonder when you held them in your hand. How were these made? why were they made in a specific way? what was the competition like back then?

Not to mention many of these are very pretty (or handsome), and when you put them together as a well-curated collection, it's mind-boggling how cool they look. These are no longer "tools", these are remnants of bygone eras that is fascinating to preserve and catalog.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 695 Posts

...A dictionary defines a hobby as: "An activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure."

I eat food in my leisure time and enjoy it very much. It's not a hobby though.
    While I don't consider eating food as a hobby, preparing it has taken on some hobbyish qualities. Cookery is a functional skill, but I enjoy learning new recipes and methods. And I enjoy being able to do things for myself which I once thought best left to others.

Similarly, I think there is an overlap between using fountain pens as preferred writing instruments and enjoying them as something interesting in themselves. I wrote the same sort of things when all I had were ballpoints and gel pens, but now I look for excuses to write. Learning how to troubleshoot and fix small problems with modern pens, and to do simple restorations on vintage ones has given me a certain amount of enjoyment. I've learned quite a bit about the history of fountain pens. And I frequent three fountain pen forums for crying out loud.

Of course, it's obvious that my fountain pen knowledge is less than many here. Discussions of how people are saving up for one of the more expensive modern pens leave me cold. Although I might go to a pen show if there was one in my town, driving to the closest ones I know of involve more time and expense than I care to invest. I have no specific plans to buy additional fountain pens, beyond keeping my eyes open for fortuitous vintage finds. But that doesn't mean I'm not a hobbyist. I'm just not as deeply into the hobby as some.
    Last edited by Kaputnik; May 27th, 2019 at 06:28 PM.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

35. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kaputnik For This Useful Post:

catbert (May 27th, 2019), Deb (May 28th, 2019), FreeLance (June 2nd, 2019), pajaro (May 30th, 2019), Scrawler (June 4th, 2019), Wuddus (June 3rd, 2019)